PDA

View Full Version : Great 6.5" Coax???

The_Grimy_One
01-25-2012, 01:46 AM
Ok, so I am thinking of going the cheap, lazy route, and just running some good 6.5" Coax in my car. Now this is just an idea, but I havent been working much, and could use the extra money by selling my HAT Clarus set. I will probably invest some more to CCF and MLV for my doors and interior. My question is, though? What is some of the best sets that can take some good power? And will these sets keep up with about 1500 watts sub stage?

Why So Cereal?
01-25-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm currently running a set of coaxs in my car on 175wrms each while I'm rebuilding and.....they keep up but not as well as I'd like (I only run 2 10s on 750wrms). But you may like your sound more bass heavy than me.

At any rate, whats your budget for coaxs?

The_Grimy_One
01-25-2012, 11:17 AM
I'm currently running a set of coaxs in my car on 175wrms each while I'm rebuilding and.....they keep up but not as well as I'd like (I only run 2 10s on 750wrms). But you may like your sound more bass heavy than me.

At any rate, whats your budget for coaxs?

Yea I would assume I like a little bit more bass. Lol. I would love to put 2 sets of Coax in my door, just not very good with fiberglassing. I really wouldnt have a budget if I sold my Clarus set, though.

Fiendstolemyamp
01-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Imagines come set up as coax, probably be your best bet. ID ctx coax's are pretty good for the price, they are only a little over $100 new.

Why So Cereal?
01-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Yea I would assume I like a little bit more bass. Lol. I would love to put 2 sets of Coax in my door, just not very good with fiberglassing. I really wouldnt have a budget if I sold my Clarus set, though.

Imagines, or Boston Pros come to mind. Both are setup to run as coax or component. and I've heard of the BA Pros taking upwards of 200wrms per side

The_Grimy_One
01-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Imagines, or Boston Pros come to mind. Both are setup to run as coax or component. and I've heard of the BA Pros taking upwards of 200wrms per side

Man, I wanted a BA Pro set, but when I was component shopping, all the prices had gone up. Let me look around again.

Why So Cereal?
01-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Man, I wanted a BA Pro set, but when I was component shopping, all the prices had gone up. Let me look around again.

They're like 350 a set. I remember seeing a used set over on DIYMA for like 250 or 225 shipped. I'm more than likely going with the BA Pro set next in my tC. It wont be nearly as hard to tune as a DIY 3 way comp set and I hear the midbass on them pounds hard enough to rival nicer 3 ways.

RAM_Designs
01-25-2012, 11:47 AM
I like my Imagine set. I'm running them in a quasi-3way setup with them in the doors running 80hz-8khz, and running my tweets at 8khz and up to raise the stage a little...seems to be working pretty well.

The_Grimy_One
01-25-2012, 11:49 AM
They're like 350 a set. I remember seeing a used set over on DIYMA for like 250 or 225 shipped. I'm more than likely going with the BA Pro set next in my tC. It wont be nearly as hard to tune as a DIY 3 way comp set and I hear the midbass on them pounds hard enough to rival nicer 3 ways.

They were going for $280 new on eBay a while back :/
But I may try to hunt a set down.

Why So Cereal?
01-25-2012, 11:54 AM
I like my Imagine set. I'm running them in a quasi-3way setup with them in the doors running 80hz-8khz, and running my tweets at 8khz and up to raise the stage a little...seems to be working pretty well.

I would think the mids would be beaming by then running from 80 to 8khz :confused: or do u mean u have them in coaxial mode in the doors and then extra tweets up high?

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

They were going for $280 new on eBay a while back :/
But I may try to hunt a set down.

wuuuuuuuuuuuut? I wish I would've known they were $280 a set, I'd have bought those no questions asked.

RAM_Designs
01-25-2012, 11:56 AM
I would think the mids would be beaming by then running from 80 to 8khz :confused: or do u mean u have them in coaxial mode in the doors and then extra tweets up high?

I have them set up as a coax in the doors with my TB tweets in the a-pillars. After a couple weeks the midbass really improved, I was a little worried at first.

Why So Cereal?
01-25-2012, 11:58 AM
I have them set up as a coax in the doors with my TB tweets in the a-pillars. After a couple weeks the midbass really improved, I was a little worried at first.

OH, got ya. hmmm....maybe I should add some temp tweets up high for now while I'm in between builds. My stage is in my dash instead of on top of it.
anywhoo.... what kinda power are u running to the Imagines?

RAM_Designs
01-25-2012, 12:02 PM
OH, got ya. hmmm....maybe I should add some temp tweets up high for now while I'm in between builds. My stage is in my dash instead of on top of it.
anywhoo.... what kinda power are u running to the Imagines?

I'm just using my Elevation Audio DX80.4, running two channels to the Imagines and two to the tweets. They still get very loud, as loud as I need them to for normal listening. But I did notice that with them crossed at 8khz at 12db/oct they're noticeably louder than when ran full range, so that helps.

The_Grimy_One
01-25-2012, 03:37 PM

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

wuuuuuuuuuuuut? I wish I would've known they were $280 a set, I'd have bought those no questions asked.

Yea, I wish I did too. It was like 2 weeks when I looked back and all prices went up... And the HAT sets run high frequencies... I know some guy that ran a 6.5" and a 3", with no tweet! All the way up to 22k Hz.

Why So Cereal?
01-25-2012, 03:55 PM
Yea, I wish I did too. It was like 2 weeks when I looked back and all prices went up... And the HAT sets run high frequencies... I know some guy that ran a 6.5" and a 3", with no tweet! All the way up to 22k Hz.

I could see that. a 3incher doesnt beam until like 53xx hz then he probably had the 3s on axis so he was within the beam and not losing the FR. Not much in music above 10khz anyway. I actually thought about doing that in my car. I was thinking RAM was using the 6.5 in his doors up to 8khz. That would've made the passenger driver more on axis and he would be getting more high frequencies from his right side and a weird right stage. Lol

The_Grimy_One
01-25-2012, 09:37 PM
Anyone else?

FlexnInLa
01-25-2012, 09:49 PM
Imagines.

Slayerx
01-26-2012, 05:06 AM
Imagines would pretty much be the only coax i'd ever run. I dont really see any problems with them keeping up with most daily sub setups. If i need better sound i would be going comps anyways.

zako
01-26-2012, 06:26 AM
HAT Imagine are very good. I run mine as components, active, but I assume it should sound very good as a coaxial speaker. Other options are JL Audio C5 (coaxial version), C3, and also HAT Mirus.

But man.. downgrading to even these speakers from Clarus seems like a downgrade. Don't do it. Get a job.

The_Grimy_One
01-27-2012, 01:48 PM
HAT Imagine are very good. I run mine as components, active, but I assume it should sound very good as a coaxial speaker. Other options are JL Audio C5 (coaxial version), C3, and also HAT Mirus.

But man.. downgrading to even these speakers from Clarus seems like a downgrade. Don't do it. Get a job.

Yea I feel you... I am in no way using them to their potential, since everyone says run them active... And I havent heard them in maybe 4 months... I have had no music for about that long :(

VisceralSound
01-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Any opinions on Lanzar Opti6PM's?
Lanzar - OPTI6PM - Opti Pro 400 Watts 6.5'' High Power Coaxial Speakers (http://www.lanzar.com/sku/OPTI6PM/Opti-Pro-400-Watts-65-High-Power-Coaxial-Speakers)

The_Grimy_One
01-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Any opinions on Lanzar Opti6PM's?
Lanzar - OPTI6PM - Opti Pro 400 Watts 6.5'' High Power Coaxial Speakers (http://www.lanzar.com/sku/OPTI6PM/Opti-Pro-400-Watts-65-High-Power-Coaxial-Speakers)

I was gonna run these a while back, but they dont have a tweet, they are dedicated midbass :(

VisceralSound
01-27-2012, 07:45 PM
I was gonna run these a while back, but they dont have a tweet, they are dedicated midbass :(

how would they perform temp? or anything else for a decent price range for a budget coax? found them for 37 on amazon.

The_Grimy_One
01-27-2012, 08:15 PM
how would they perform temp? or anything else for a decent price range for a budget coax? found them for 37 on amazon.

I have heard very good things about them. If you go active or get a crossover for them and pair them with some descent tweets, you could be in business.

VisceralSound
01-27-2012, 08:19 PM
I have heard very good things about them. If you go active or get a crossover for them and pair them with some descent tweets, you could be in business.
Right on, but for temp. use with headunit power think they'll be pretty weak with a 220rms rating?

@OP sorry for thread jack :(

The_Grimy_One
01-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Right on, but for temp. use with headunit power think they'll be pretty weak with a 220rms rating?

@OP sorry for thread jack :(

Yea, I would deff try to get some more power on them. Even 50-75 watts a side. And no worries... Hope my thread helps more than just me.

The_Grimy_One
02-04-2012, 08:51 PM
****, I want some of these! Cant do the $300 a piece tho! :/
Beyma Coaxial Speakers - Beyma 6CX200Nd 6.5" coaxial speakers - Beyma 6CX200Nd 400 watt 6.5" coaxial speakers for all 2-way applications. Beyma 6CX200Nd 6.5" coxial speaker and other Beymacoaxial speakers here. (http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma%206xc200nd-1.htm)

The_Grimy_One
02-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Or there...
http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w6-1530s.htm

Why So Cereal?
02-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Tang Band FTW!!! I think I'll forever be a Tang Band fan after owning these w4 bamboo full rangers.

Those are 8 ohm too, which is a plus IMO

Why So Cereal?
02-04-2012, 10:34 PM
double....

The_Grimy_One
02-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Tang Band FTW!!! I think I'll forever be a Tang Band fan after owning these w4 bamboo full rangers.

Those are 8 ohm too, which is a plus IMO

Costs so much... :(

Why So Cereal?
02-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Costs so much... :(

how much they be holmes?

The_Grimy_One
02-04-2012, 10:57 PM
how much they be holmes?

Like 200 shipped a piece ese!
Or something like that. Could only find them in Europe.

Why So Cereal?
02-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Like 200 shipped a piece ese!
Or something like that. Could only find them in Europe.

HOLY FVCK BAWLZ! yeaaaa....I cant see myself paying that much for them....those Beymas u linked looked.....loud lol IDK how the SQ would be.

The_Grimy_One
02-04-2012, 11:01 PM
HOLY FVCK BAWLZ! yeaaaa....I cant see myself paying that much for them....those Beymas u linked looked.....loud lol IDK how the SQ would be.

Exactly!!! Fukc!!! And I think that horn tweet would be sweeeeeeeeet.

Why So Cereal?
02-04-2012, 11:05 PM
Exactly!!! Fukc!!! And I think that horn tweet would be sweeeeeeeeet.

just noticed they were $300 each....wtf did u search for?? "Coaxials that will cost me an arm, a leg, my left testicle, and my right eyeball?"

The_Grimy_One
02-04-2012, 11:19 PM
just noticed they were $300 each....wtf did u search for?? "Coaxials that will cost me an arm, a leg, my left testicle, and my right eyeball?"

Yea I think that's pretty close. Google said it was too long... Had to simplify it.

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

Yea I think that's pretty close. Google said it was too long... Had to simplify it.

Why So Cereal?
02-04-2012, 11:24 PM

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

I googled it just for the heck of it and got an article entitled "What is a cyst?" lulz

Have u looked into the HiVi coaxs at Madisound?
Hi-Vi Autosound CF260 6.5" Coaxial car Speaker - Pair: Madisound Speaker Store (http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/coaxial/hi-vi-autosound-cf260-6.5-coaxial-car-speaker-pair/)

They also have a Seas Prestige Coax with a clear cone that looks smexy:
SEAS Prestige T18REX/XFC (H1353) 7" Coaxial, clear Cone: Madisound Speaker Store (http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/coaxial/seas-prestige-t18rex/xfc-h1353-7-coaxial-clear-cone/)

The_Grimy_One
02-04-2012, 11:37 PM
I googled it just for the heck of it and got an article entitled "What is a cyst?" lulz

Hi-Vi Autosound CF260 6.5" Coaxial car Speaker - Pair: Madisound Speaker Store (http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/coaxial/hi-vi-autosound-cf260-6.5-coaxial-car-speaker-pair/)

SEAS Prestige T18REX/XFC (H1353) 7" Coaxial, clear Cone: Madisound Speaker Store (http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/coaxial/seas-prestige-t18rex/xfc-h1353-7-coaxial-clear-cone/)

I love the clear but they are a grip too. I haven't heard anything about the hivi but i'm sure they are nice.

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

I love the clear but they are a grip too. I haven't heard anything about the hivi but i'm sure they are nice.

Why So Cereal?
02-04-2012, 11:39 PM
I may grab a set of those Hivi coaxs to try out somehow.... those higher priced coaxs kinda make me wonder if they're really worth the price tag....like if they'll put alot of comp sets to shame.

The_Grimy_One
02-04-2012, 11:45 PM
I may grab a set of those Hivi coaxs to try out somehow.... those higher priced coaxs kinda make me wonder if they're really worth the price tag....like if they'll put alot of comp sets to shame.

I feel you. And I am sure some can. But will never achieve the same sound stage. I'm currently looking for convertibles or braxials.

Why So Cereal?
02-04-2012, 11:48 PM
I feel you. And I am sure some can. But will never achieve the same sound stage. I'm currently looking for convertibles or braxials.

Boston Pros for like 350
Massive CK6V for like 140 to 150. They come with a braxial mount and the new stage five xovers fixed the tweeter issue supposedly. The midbass on them is said to be very strong and they'll take alot of power...

Why So Cereal?
02-04-2012, 11:48 PM

Boston Pros for like 350
Massive CK6V for like 140 to 150. They come with a braxial mount and the new stage five xovers fixed the tweeter issue supposedly. The midbass on them is said to be very strong and they'll take alot of power...

brodeisel
02-04-2012, 11:57 PM
Look at the dd coaxial also. Kangaroux used them before and said they got loud and had good mid bass.

The_Grimy_One
02-05-2012, 12:26 AM
I look into all of those. Wish the pro 60s weren't so much.