PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Selection Assistance

Neihn
01-25-2012, 12:01 AM
Hi all,

I recently bought a new 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport (non fosgate/non nav system). I have already replaced the factory HU with my Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT that I had in my 11 lancer but now am looking at upgrading the factory speakers. I plan using my Kicker ZX650.4 amp to power my speakers. Now my question is what speakers do you all prefer?

The 2 models I was looking at are:

Alpine SPR-60C Component for the front
Alpine SPR-60 Coaxial for the rear

or

JL Audio C5-650 Component for the front
JL Audio C5-650X Coaxial for the rear

I am really looking at the Alpines as I have had great luck with their stuff. But I also want the best I can get while staying around 650 or below for both sets. I am also open to other suggestions of other brands that are not major names like those 2 such as Hybrid Audio which is a brand I had never heard of but came several times in my research.

GaryWA
01-25-2012, 02:42 AM
I've heard good things about HAT comps. I would get a nice comp set from them, and pop those alpines in the back.

TheUnderFighter
01-25-2012, 04:42 AM
I certainly wouldn't be considering either of those options. I've had Alpine's coaxials and wasn't impressed in the least, they might be ok in the rear. Might wanna try straying away from the major names and get speaker that are a better value. Companies like Hybrid Audio spend more of their money on R&D for the customer, rather than mass advertising to attract attention.
There's some good component sets available here: - Vertex Audio (http://www.vertexaudio.com/store/pc/showsearchresults.asp?IDBrand=1)
I personally have the COM-626 set from CDT Audio and am very pleased.
Also, I've heard good things about JBL's available component sets.
Massive Audio*::*Speakers (http://www.massiveaudio.com/store/home.php?cat=254) , they have some great sets out, specifically the VK and CK series. And especially the RK series if you can fit the deep drivers.
Also, DLS makes some great components over a wide pricer-range

Why So Cereal?
01-25-2012, 10:59 AM
I'm thinking Boston Acoustics PRO60SE up front and some BA SC or SR coaxs in rear. HAT also supposedly makes some nice comps but I cant speak from personal experience on them like I can with Boston products. Also the JL C5s are....nice, but overpriced (depending on what kind of pricing youre getting on them) IMO the only JL comps I feel are worth their price are the C2s. The Alpine Type R's were not impressive to me at all.

Neihn
01-25-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the other recommendations. I am now leaning towards the Massive Audio CK series.I was looking at possibly even the RK but I am worried about the added space needed. I did find though on Massive website that there is a dealer in Kansas City area. So I think when i get another day off I may make the small drive there to check them out and also see if we can verify if i have mounting space for the RK series.

trumpet
01-25-2012, 10:56 PM
The issues with RK fitment is both mounting depth and the diameter of the magnet. I would not recommend that component set though since you were looking into JL C5s. RK6 and RX6 are all about getting loud on a lot of power. I haven't heard any of these speakers mentioned in the thread so if you get a chance to hear them that would be best.