PDA

View Full Version : JL 10W6V2 Box question

gsxr8021
01-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Ok I am new here so hello all. This is my dilema, I currently have 2 Jl10w6v2d4's being driven by a JL 1000/1. I have had the setup in both sealed and ported boxes, built by a local shop. I would much rather build my box myself this time. I am putting a roll cage into my car and the current box wont work with it. So I am going to either build the box into the car or build two boxes. I listen to Techno 99% of the time. Usually Break beats, Dub step, or Hardcore (if you dont know what hardcore is youtube the Prophet, it is big in Europe). I personally dont like the current box as most of the bass is on the higher range of Htz and it hits fast. I feel it was poorly designed though. Which is one of the reasons why I want to build my own box. I own all the tools needed and am confident that I can build a better box than I paid for last time. The Mathmatics dont worry me as I have a masters in Accounting and am a few hours shy of a econ degree as well. Which Econ is mathmatics heavy. Accounting is not so much even though a lot of people think so, you never need anything more than a four function calculator. I also build cabinets with my friends dad for several years before I went to college so I can get around in a shop. Ok the facts:

1. 1995 Mustang gt
2. Subs JL 10W6v2 *2
3. Amp JL 1000/1
4. I am thinking about changing the Head unit from the Alpine I have now to something else. Any suggestions.

The question is should I build a sealed box for each sub based on JL's specs or even a little more or less air space, or should I build a ported box but if so I need to tune it so it will play lets call it pom pom base well, another option would be to put in a 3rd 10w6 in a sealed box. I dont know if this would be all that good with my AMP and I dont want to add another amp or I will have to get another Alt and I dont want to go down that rode.

pro-rabbit
01-21-2012, 06:49 PM
I think it would depend more on the space you have available after your cage is in the car.

As for ported/sealed..if you have had properly setup enclosures(not sure if you did or not), which did you like more?

Personally if you have the room I think a nice ported enclosure would do very well with the music you like. If space is to limited then do sealed.

gsxr8021
01-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Add in What about selling the 10w6's and getting 1 10w'7 or would my 1000/1 push 2 10w7's well.

pro-rabbit
01-21-2012, 06:57 PM
If you are happy with your current setup I don't see a reason to change it out really. Just rebuild it to fit with in your new limitations.

gsxr8021
01-21-2012, 10:16 PM
Thats the problem is I havent been happy. I am losing the spare tire and so I have all of that space. The cage on comes down in two places right by the rear seat next to the wheel wells. I am thinking I want to put the box at rear of the trunk and so I will have plenty of room. The problems have been with the ported box the htz have to be off bc it doesnt hit pom pom base at all. Low **** it hits hard the music I listen to the base notes are usually fast and on an higher htz. The sealed box hit the higher base well but it lacked in volume. I dont think with jl's 1000/1 there should be a problem with power, and if it is the w6's then I need to get the w7's. However, I feel it is the box.

jeremyg1
01-21-2012, 10:40 PM
The problems have been with the ported box the htz have to be off bc it doesnt hit pom pom base at all.

Do you happen to know what the specs were on the ported box you had them in (cubic feet/tuning)?

Speaking of hardcore techno...i used to listen to a ton of ec8or/Alec Empire/atari teenage riot back in the day....fun stuff!

RAM_Designs
01-21-2012, 10:50 PM
I'd go ported and tune low to get the beefed up low-end that you're looking for. A lower tuned ported box will give you a lot more output in the 30-50hz area than a sealed box will. The W6V2's will still be able to play higher just fine even in a low tuned box. 1.25ft^3 per sub with a low 30-32 tuning should suit you just fine.

gsxr8021
01-22-2012, 12:52 AM
You miss read what I said. I dont care as much about low-end bass. The music I listen to has more punchy base at a fast rate.

I'd go ported and tune low to get the beefed up low-end that you're looking for. A lower tuned ported box will give you a lot more output in the 30-50hz area than a sealed box will. The W6V2's will still be able to play higher just fine even in a low tuned box. 1.25ft^3 per sub with a low 30-32 tuning should suit you just fine.

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

I was told it was built to JL specs off their website.

Do you happen to know what the specs were on the ported box you had them in (cubic feet/tuning)?

Speaking of hardcore techno...i used to listen to a ton of ec8or/Alec Empire/atari teenage riot back in the day....fun stuff!