PDA

View Full Version : Coolest sounding tunes, songs, artist for listening on a high end system? Advice?

MediumTech
01-21-2012, 10:11 AM
It seems that some artists have a special knack for putting together some really awesome sounds that really shine on a high end system.

I'm looking for some tunes with big Wow-Factor...

Advice?

Tupolev
01-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Just crank up teh WOW setting.

http://i.imgur.com/hfwoW.png

I normally dip into goa-trance when I want to utilize every driver in my HT set up.

fish1234
01-21-2012, 10:25 AM
What's your choice in music?

MediumTech
01-21-2012, 11:41 AM
goa-trance? I'll have to look for that...Thanks
SRS-Wow, cool... I need one of those attached to my wife... I need more Wow in my life...

Music tastes... It runs the gambit... depends on my mood... "Picky Gemini Fkr..."
I pretty much like the most popular stuff in most arena's, but Pandora has introduced me to me weirder self...
Norah Jones, Pink Martini, DJ Yoda, Lilly Allen, Gorillaz, Frontier Psychiatrist, Gregorian-dance, some accapella stuff, Jack Johnson, Some rap stuff...

It seems that in every field of music, some of the artists (or perhaps their producers or sound engineers) have a knack for putting together some really cool sounds.

Gregulate
01-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Noisia for some heavy, yet melodic insanity. (Drum and bass/down tempo/dubstep).
Pick an early jazz or big band channel on pandora and let it fly!

Flex68
01-21-2012, 12:09 PM
SRS-Wow, cool... I need one of those attached to my wife...

lmao... and ditto!

Sub Woofin
01-21-2012, 12:34 PM
download songs that are 320kb/s

MediumTech
01-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Thanks guys. I've got some music shopping to do.

icehellion
02-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Goa Trance
Dub Step (Skrilla)

NeuroticFish-Modulator (Single-Track)

DoesDad
02-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Dance hall raggae sounds excellent on a good system! I don't like raggae all that much but the dancehall is good stuff. My daughters introduced me to Skrilla when they rode with me the other day. Wow! And of course dubstep.... Kangaroux does his own mixes I think, either that or he posts up things he finds all the time.

trumpet
02-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Urban Dictionary: skrilla (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=skrilla)

So far it seems people are suggesting songs with massive low end bass, which is cool but it gets exhausting.

There's a lot of excellent sounding music on reference discs, such as the Focal/JM Labs 6 disc set that can be downloaded as ISO files. I have access to a couple of old Alpine reference discs that have some fun tracks. "The Speed of Sound" is one of them. As for music I bought that happens to also sound amazing on a good system:
Dave Matthews Band - Under the Table and Dreaming
Tool - Aenima, Lateralus
A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms, The Thirteenth Step
Favorite SQ listening tracks. - DIYMA.com - Scientific Car Audio - Truth in Sound Quality (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-sq-forum-technical-advanced/120798-favorite-sq-listening-tracks.html)

keep_hope_alive
02-11-2012, 03:42 PM
There are few new albums that are worth using for reference material - a general lack of dynamics has plagued the recording industry for a few decades now. equal-loudness mixes are more common.

Tool, for example: Opiate has good dynamics, the later albums are not as good (though I love the music).

Just about anything in the 80's was during the height of analog recording and all have great dynamics. Sadly, a down-side to analog is lower signal-to-noise ratios and lower dynamic range overall. modern recording techniques allow for much greater dynamic range - but so few artists actually take advantage. Early 90's also offered some good recordings.

i look at songs in Goldwave before I put them on a reference CD. I scan for clipping and evaluate how the recording engineer used the available dynamic range.

I just checked Alice in Chains - Facelift and Man in the Box was a clean recording. The MTV Unplugged album has clipping like crazy.

sobe3yourself.
02-11-2012, 03:47 PM
listen to bruno mars' newest album. really shines.

Why So Cereal?
02-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Album Idle wild by Outkast has some nice cuts
I was listening to In My Mind by Heather Headley today and it sounded great in my car as well

trumpet
02-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Honor Roll (http://www.digido.com/honor-roll.html)

esmokah
02-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Shpongle - Are you Shpongled? is a good album It's psy-ambient (trippy) music. Don't forget the lsd! When you are done with that, move on to Tales of the Inexpressible and then Nothing Lasts.

Elton John's Rocketman helped nail down some funky notes I didn't know i was having a problem with until I tried it out (i listen to psytrance mainly)

Flipx99
02-13-2012, 10:25 PM
Alicia Keys

bromo
02-13-2012, 10:34 PM
I really enjoy listening to this song on a good stereo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NShb2Nc-bfs

maylar
02-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Here's one that should be in every audiophile's collection - Jennifer Warnes' Famous Blue Raincoat. It's the cleanest CD I've ever heard.

Of course you gotta like female vocals and Leonard Cohen's music to appreciate it.

brodeisel
02-21-2012, 02:17 AM
Some elton john

MANTI5
02-21-2012, 02:34 AM
Fleetwood Mac - The Dance

hari-bhari
02-22-2012, 09:32 AM
the michael jackson history album is one of the cleanest recordings i have heard (but i dont listen to a lot of jazz or old school stuff like the others hear). if you want something heavy with lots of drum and bass, look up some tunes by helicopter showdown. their mastering is among the best ive heard

jirehn
02-22-2012, 09:42 AM
I want heavy music and some rock that really makes the set up will come its sounds.

LeadSlinger
04-04-2012, 09:26 AM
If you want to try some music unlike you've ever heard before, check out some Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. Their recordings sound great with lots of percussion, fiddle, distorted guitars, etc. Of Natural History is phenomenal; In Glorious Times might be a little more dynamic.

Good luck!

fish1234
04-08-2012, 11:16 AM
I like Alan Parsons Project.

austinb
05-03-2012, 02:51 AM
The Eagles "Hotel California" from Hell Freezes Over. Iamdynamite "Hey Girl" there is some clapping on it that makes my mid really come alive. Awolnation "Sail". Katie Melua " Piece by Piece. any of Band of Horses. Nora Jones. Michael Buble. Peter Gabriel.

-_Thir13en_-
06-09-2012, 07:49 PM
Try some Excision!!!

"Sleepless"
"Subsonic"
"Shambala 2008"

goingdef
06-09-2012, 08:00 PM
pink floyd sounds really good loud and the intro to welcome to the machine is rather intense for being so old, I don't think they thought about what subwoofers would evolve into I'm sure back then it sounded totally normal, now it sounds ungodly loud and low!

maljr1980
06-09-2012, 08:18 PM
katy perry FTW, bump that **** dog

RAM_Designs
06-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Pink Floyd - Money
Focal Demo discs

Dirtrider4eva
06-09-2012, 09:08 PM
A few enjoyables
Mr eager kid cudi
The mood cudi