PDA

View Full Version : Stuck....again

Why So Cereal?
01-21-2012, 12:19 AM
stuck between the Boston Pro60s and the Hybrid Unity 6.5 comp sets...both are $350 a set. gonna be on an Aura RPM2300 amp...thoughts?

Slayerx
01-21-2012, 01:04 AM
That's a tough one right there, those Boston's are pretty nice. I've been eyeballing the Unity set myself.

mast240
01-21-2012, 01:36 AM
there is no clear winner between the two of them bro... every opinion is going to be EXTREMELY subjective.

but, personally, i would take the bostons... i have had great results in the past, and their range really makes setting a good slope pretty easy

Why So Cereal?
01-21-2012, 07:14 AM
That's a tough one right there, those Boston's are pretty nice. I've been eyeballing the Unity set myself.

VERY! I still have to sell some stuff before I buy so hopefully I'll have my mind made up by then.

there is no clear winner between the two of them bro... every opinion is going to be EXTREMELY subjective.

but, personally, i would take the bostons... i have had great results in the past, and their range really makes setting a good slope pretty easy

I agree on the opinions thing. You've, ofcourse got the HAT nuthuggers. But just wanted to see what you guys would choose in my position.
I am definitely leaning towards the Bostons as I have always loved every one of their products I've heard or owned. But, I'm still curious to see what all this HAT hype is about.

TaylorFade
01-21-2012, 07:39 AM
There is a reason for all that that HAT "hype."

HAT basically swept every SQ division at USACi finals last November. I can't say anything negative about the Boston's because I've never heard the set you're looking at, but I imagine you'll be extremely pleased with either.

Why So Cereal?
01-21-2012, 07:43 AM
There is a reason for all that that HAT "hype."

HAT basically swept every SQ division at USACi finals last November. I can't say anything negative about the Boston's because I've never heard the set you're looking at, but I imagine you'll be extremely pleased with either.

OH yeah, I know its based in the SQ comps and them having the "highest scoring SQ car in existence" and all. But, that doesn't mean they're better than every speaker on the market in their price range. Not debating your post or anything, just making a statement.

TaylorFade
01-21-2012, 07:50 AM
OH yeah, I know its based in the SQ comps and them having the "highest scoring SQ car in existence" and all. But, that doesn't mean they're better than every speaker on the market in their price range. Not debating your post or anything, just making a statement.

I hear ya. But it's a decent measuring stick. I'm sure Boston has their share of trophies too. I think where HAT has the advantage is the really, really solid midbass.

I sat in a few of the HAT cars at finals and... wow. It's retarded. Lol. I realize that those guys are on a whole 'nother SQ planet than us mortals, but it's nice to know how good they "can" sound.

Why So Cereal?
01-21-2012, 07:57 AM
I hear ya. But it's a decent measuring stick. I'm sure Boston has their share of trophies too. I think where HAT has the advantage is the really, really solid midbass.

I sat in a few of the HAT cars at finals and... wow. It's retarded. Lol. I realize that those guys are on a whole 'nother SQ planet than us mortals, but it's nice to know how good they "can" sound.

hmmmmmm....I do like strong, low extending midbass....thats a plus for the HATs though iirc, people have commented on the BA Pro midbass as well. Were the HAT midbasses you heard the Imagine series and was it only one set?

TaylorFade
01-21-2012, 08:06 AM
The "beginner" SQ car I sat in was running the Unity's, iirc. In that class, you have to utilize the stock locations. So, in that class, it isn't install dominated where you have elaborate kicks and crazy speaker locations. I could not believe the soundstage from stock locations. Midbass was out of this world and actually kept up with a pair of ported 12's in the trunk. I have no idea how they did it, but they also managed to introduce "ambiance" with no rear speakers. I actually asked, "what are you running for rear fill?" Nothing. I couldn't believe it.

All the other cars I heard were running the Legatia's, of course. Insanity. When I ditch my Rainbows, I am so getting HAT. Lol.

Why So Cereal?
01-21-2012, 08:14 AM
The "beginner" SQ car I sat in was running the Unity's, iirc. In that class, you have to utilize the stock locations. So, in that class, it isn't install dominated where you have elaborate kicks and crazy speaker locations. I could not believe the soundstage from stock locations. Midbass was out of this world and actually kept up with a pair of ported 12's in the trunk. I have no idea how they did it, but they also managed to introduce "ambiance" with no rear speakers. I actually asked, "what are you running for rear fill?" Nothing. I couldn't believe it.

All the other cars I heard were running the Legatia's, of course. Insanity. When I ditch my Rainbows, I am so getting HAT. Lol.

:woot: hmmm...I may be going with the Unity set after all. Do u have to use stock tweeter locations as well? Just wondering so when I do my install I can try and get into this class. Iasca right?

TaylorFade
01-21-2012, 08:26 AM
I'm talking USACi. The only non-stock speaker or location you can use is a 1" or smaller tweet on the A pillar, but they didn't even use that. The car was a daily for the wife and she said she didn't like it there. Lol. The tweet was in the factory door location. Now granted, it's a great spot for a tweet anyway. It's higher up in the door and angled well (almost perfectly on axis), but still.

You've got me thinking Unity's now. Lol. $350? Sounds like a bargain.

Why So Cereal?
01-21-2012, 08:45 AM
Unity U61-2 6.5" 2-way Component Speaker System - 12v Electronics (http://store.12velectronics.com/unity-u61-2-6-5-2-way-component-speaker-system/) I'm guessing they're on sale.....

I was just reading over the USACi rules. It looks like I'd have to get in the modified Q class since I have an extra battery in my hatch :crap:

whitedragon551
01-21-2012, 08:52 AM
I vote neither. Id go with this:

Eclipse SC8365 300-100 Watt Speaker Combo Set | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eclipse-SC8365-300-100-Watt-Speaker-Combo-Set-/120845812461?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item1c22f8c2ed)

Why So Cereal?
01-21-2012, 09:02 AM
I vote neither. Id go with this:

Eclipse SC8365 300-100 Watt Speaker Combo Set | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eclipse-SC8365-300-100-Watt-Speaker-Combo-Set-/120845812461?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item1c22f8c2ed)

Then, ill still have to do pillars......I think... That's the only reason I'm going back 2 way now is to avoid glassing my pillars.

whitedragon551
01-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Then, ill still have to do pillars......I think... That's the only reason I'm going back 2 way now is to avoid glassing my pillars.

Nope the tweeter mount has a spot for the midrange in it if you can fit them in that location.

Why So Cereal?
01-21-2012, 09:09 AM
Nope the tweeter mount has a spot for the midrange in it if you can fit them in that location.

Didn't even see that the first time. Hmmmm....they wont fit my stock tweeter location......maybe I could do a minor cut in my pillars just for that tweet/midrange piece...should be easier than glassing up for a 4incher and tweeter. I'm assuming that 1.5 mid wont need much for airspace at all....

Why So Cereal?
01-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Open to other suggestions as well guys

Why So Cereal?
01-21-2012, 05:18 PM
How do u guys think the HAT unity set would stack up against a set of H-audio souls or whatever other mids I can find and LPG 26NA tweets run active on an MTX amp......

Why So Cereal?
01-21-2012, 05:42 PM
^MTX X704 to be exact on the MTX amp I mentioned

Why So Cereal?
01-28-2012, 11:45 PM
any other opinions on comps in the $350range?

FlexnInLa
01-29-2012, 12:02 AM
I'd take the Hybrids, everything they make that I've heard sounds amazing.

FlexnInLa
01-29-2012, 12:03 AM
Dunno what you are after, I'm assuming SQ. If you are looking for SQL I'd suggest DLS RM 6.2's.

ace_800
01-29-2012, 12:07 AM
I ran the Pros, loved them and would run them again

wenn_du_weinst
01-29-2012, 12:09 AM
I say the unity's with that set they fixed my biggest issue with the imagine series

Why So Cereal?
01-29-2012, 12:19 AM
I'd take the Hybrids, everything they make that I've heard sounds amazing.

I do believe HAT makes some nice stuff but I also know alot of ppl are nuthuggers and have probably never even heard the equipment but just recommend it to anyone. Good to know you've actually heard it to recommend it.

Dunno what you are after, I'm assuming SQ. If you are looking for SQL I'd suggest DLS RM 6.2's.
I'm looking for SQ. but L doesnt hurt :)

I ran the Pros, loved them and would run them again
yet another good review on the Pros :) I had a set of the Pro 50s for a quick second and they sounded very nice plus I've never been disappointed in a Boston product...and the 3 ohm thing is a nice power advantage.

I say the unity's with that set they fixed my biggest issue with the imagine series
that issue being?? was it the low pass needed for the woofer?

FlexnInLa
01-29-2012, 12:22 AM
SQ the Hybrids, SQL the DLS RM 6.2's. There might be better, but those are the best I've heard in those categories. HAT is in a league of it's own as far as SQ from what I've heard. I want to hear Blues to compare, if the price matches the performance they are probably killer too.

FlexnInLa
01-29-2012, 12:25 AM
As far as the Imagines go, apparently they have issues if you don't run them as coaxials. I can vouch for the fact that they sound GREAT as coaxials.

Why So Cereal?
01-29-2012, 12:37 AM
As far as the Imagines go, apparently they have issues if you don't run them as coaxials. I can vouch for the fact that they sound GREAT as coaxials.

Thats the main reason I never got any of the Imagines, I didnt want to run coaxials up front. Then I saw the Unity and thought they may be worth a shot. Still partial to BA though as I've found just as many good reviews on them as I have HAT....wish someone here had personal experience with both. Mainly to comment on the midbass performance.

Why So Cereal?
01-30-2012, 01:23 AM
any thoughts on the Massive CK6V?

mlstrass
01-30-2012, 06:27 AM
I run the BA's in the wife's car. They're around 3 years old I believe, got them for a good price, so I grabbed em. Not all that impressed honestly: little to no midbass in a deadened door and tweeters are overly bright/shrilly and take a lot of EQ to tame them.

At the time I was running 2 AA poly's and a Vifa xst per side and it was a night and day difference.

For the $$$ you're considering spending why not go active and get some of the more popular mids/tweets out there?

Bettr n' Revrse
01-30-2012, 06:31 AM
any thoughts on the Massive CK6V?

They are loud and nice but I wouldnt throw them against the HAT's

Why So Cereal?
01-30-2012, 07:12 AM
I run the BA's in the wife's car. They're around 3 years old I believe, got them for a good price, so I grabbed em. Not all that impressed honestly: little to no midbass in a deadened door and tweeters are overly bright/shrilly and take a lot of EQ to tame them.

At the time I was running 2 AA poly's and a Vifa xst per side and it was a night and day difference.

For the $$$ you're considering spending why not go active and get some of the more popular mids/tweets out there?

Wow, first time I've heard any of that said about the BA Pro's :(
There are a few reasons I'm not going active the main 2 being: 1) I was looking for something more "plug-n-play" to get away from all the constant tuning that came with my last setup.
2) There are no active double dins in my price range, that I know of; and I'm skeptical about buying used HU's especially when mine works fine.

I did consider going active directly off of the amp. I already have an old school Memphis ST100 that would probably do just fine for a set of tweeters power-wise and its xover goes up to 6khz. I'd just need to find an amp to power and lowpass the mids. I sure wish my Aura had active xovers...

They are loud and nice but I wouldnt throw them against the HAT's
I thought the same thing initially, but, then read a few reviews over on DIYMA and even one that put the CK6 against the HAT's; so I figured I'd see if anyone had had any experience with em over here.

mlstrass
01-30-2012, 07:45 AM
Sundown and AQ 4ch's both have bandpass capabilities. AQ supertweeter has a built in cap so no xover needed for those. And as mentioned you can use the HPF off your amp a pair of FMOD's for your LPF for the mids.

Trust me I was hoping for more from the BA's and even bridged a 4ch to get more power to them. Just got the mids stinky and still didn't have much midbass to speak of.

T.I.K.
01-30-2012, 07:51 AM
Sundown and AQ 4ch's both have bandpass capabilities. AQ supertweeter has a built in cap so no xover needed for those. And as mentioned you can use the HPF off your amp a pair of FMOD's for your LPF for the mids.

Trust me I was hoping for more from the BA's and even bridged a 4ch to get more power to them. Just got the mids stinky and still didn't have much midbass to speak of.
were your doors sealed/deadened?

Why So Cereal?
01-30-2012, 08:20 AM

I've got some LPG tweets id probably use if I go active and mount em on axis in pods.
Just need to decide on a mid and amp or maybe go single din.

I too wonder if ur doors were sealed and deadened or if u were having cancellation issues. I've never heard of the Pros lacking midbass

T.I.K.
01-30-2012, 08:23 AM
I too wonder if ur doors were sealed and deadened or if u were having cancellation issues. I've never heard of the Pros lacking midbass
http://chzderp.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/hurr-durr-derp-face-something-is-afoot1.jpg

Why So Cereal?
01-30-2012, 08:39 AM
http://chzderp.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/hurr-durr-derp-face-something-is-afoot1.jpg

Lmfao!!!

mlstrass
02-02-2012, 05:52 AM
Gotta realize my car had 2 7" AA polys per door playing down to 60Hz, so I was used to a LOT of midbass.

Doors were deadened, but not sealed up...

Why So Cereal?
02-02-2012, 05:54 PM
So I've decided I'm going to go active within a few months on a Pioneer 80PRS. But I still need something to run for right now....do you guys think I should still go for a nice pre-built passive 2 way set...or buy raw drivers and run em on a passive xover until I get the new HU and go active (and if so what mids to mate with LPG 26NA tweets)?

If I go raw drivers, I have about a 140 budget for the mids and already have the LPG26na tweeters...

185 budget if I go with a passive 2 way set

wenn_du_weinst
02-02-2012, 06:01 PM
the problem I had with the imagines was the bright tweeter problem ran as comps

Why So Cereal?
02-02-2012, 06:08 PM
the problem I had with the imagines was the bright tweeter problem ran as comps

Yupp, same reason I'm not really wanting to run them since i want to run separate.... any thoughts on this:

So I've decided I'm going to go active within a few months on a Pioneer 80PRS. But I still need something to run for right now....do you guys think I should still go for a nice pre-built passive 2 way set...or buy raw drivers and run em on a passive xover until I get the new HU and go active (and if so what mids to mate with LPG 26NA tweets)?

If I go raw drivers, I have about a 140 budget for the mids and already have the LPG26na tweeters...

185 budget if I go with a passive 2 way set

Slayerx
02-03-2012, 12:38 PM
If you're going to be going active, might as well buy what you're going to use now and use em passive for the time being. On a side note, I didn't find the HAT tweets to be so bright when off-axis. They did seem to act as if they were a notch or two above in volume however. I still found them to be more than adequate when kept off axis and cut back around 10k on the eq a few notches.