View Full Version : 6.5" components

lawlyes2007
01-18-2012, 11:13 PM
I need some opinions between these four sets:

HAT Imagine

CDT CL 62 PRO

Morel Maximos

Morel Tempos

They will be going in a mazda 6. Mids in the bottom door and the stock tweets are in the door sail?

I'm not against mounting in a coax configuration just want the best sounding set out of these or something similar.

I do not have an amp picked out at the time.

mylows10
01-18-2012, 11:24 PM
thats a hard decision ,they all sound really good ,so i guess its would come down to budget ,for me.if you deaden your doors ,they'll prolly sound close to the same.

lawlyes2007
01-18-2012, 11:36 PM
Yea kinda what i'm thinkin, but the budget isn't really a concern here as they are all pretty close to the same $

keep_hope_alive
01-19-2012, 01:05 AM
They will sound different. But it is not feasible to audition all in the same car. each tweeter is a different size, you may want to consider mounting the tweeters into your decision. Don't coaxially mount them, use the sail panel.

Wattser93
01-19-2012, 02:04 AM
I was also in the same boat looking for a solid set of comps at that budget. If I had an active capable HU, I would have bought the HAT Imagines. The only reason I didn't was because I don't have active capability, and was worried about the tweets being too bright and not having a way to tame them.

I auditioned quite a few sets locally until I found a set that my ears liked. If you can, try to audition the sets before you make a decision. I found that "forum boners" that I read so highly of were nothing special to my ears.

lawlyes2007
01-30-2012, 05:58 PM
I went ahead and bought the hats, now I'm in the process of installing them.

Do I need a baffle on the inside of the door to keep water from getting on the speakers or how does that work?

mylows10
01-30-2012, 06:03 PM
you can if you want or just matt the doors .should have pm'ed me i could have saved you some cash if you had bought the cdt's

zako
01-30-2012, 08:25 PM
I was also in the same boat looking for a solid set of comps at that budget. If I had an active capable HU, I would have bought the HAT Imagines. The only reason I didn't was because I don't have active capability, and was worried about the tweets being too bright and not having a way to tame them.

You don't need an active head unit to run them active. Run the woofer with no low pass filter and the tweeter with a high precision 2.2uF Dayton capacitor inserted inline. This replicates the passive crossover of the Imagines. This is what I am running with tweeters mounted in door sails and it sounds good. I keep digging out and enjoying some older albums because they sound so much better now, even though they seemed like nothing special in the past. I adjusted the tweeter gains by ear until the high frequencies sound just right too me, and added time delay to the left tweeter and woofer with the stereo, the best I could to center the sound stage. The high pass filter on the woofers is 70Hz with 24dB (as recommended in the manual), the sub low pass is 50Hz @18dB, and I bumped 65Hz band on the EQ by 3dB. I would have replicated this setup gain. The speaker amplifier is MB Quart REF4.80 4x80watts.