PDA

View Full Version : pros and cons tuning lower/higher?

Tek18
01-17-2012, 08:59 PM
hey guys,,

just wondering i like my box tuned to 32hz it gets very loud but in the future i would like to maybe tune my box to like 25hz? i love low notes, but with my box if i play a song that goes to around 20hz or so ( which im careful its scary doing that.. ) it just makes a flapping noise and i don't hear anything but my roof is ******* flexing like crazy

just curious, pros and cons

Kangaroux
01-17-2012, 09:04 PM
I went from a tuning of 27hz to 32hz and I hardly lost any low end. Do yourself a favor and don't tune below 30, you won't really gain much low end and all you do is kill the overall output. Even when I'm tuned at 32, I have my subsonic set to around 24hz. I can play 20hz full tilt with no issues but don't expect to hear much from 20hz. You need a lot of cone area to make it audible, and that is assuming you can even hear it over the rattling.

For a lot of people, tuning low is best because it provides a flattened out response as opposed to tuning higher which may be closer to your vehicles peak. Honestly it comes down to what kind of sound you want. I wanted a flat response from 20-50, so I tuned low. For someone that does any competing especially like bass racing, you may want to tune higher around 37-40. Like I said though it all comes down to how you want it to sound. If you want to play around with your tuning I suggest getting some aero ports and playing around with the length of it until you are satisfied.

Buck
01-17-2012, 09:26 PM
I went from a tuning of 27hz to 32hz and I hardly lost any low end. Do yourself a favor and don't tune below 30, you won't really gain much low end and all you do is kill the overall output. Even when I'm tuned at 32, I have my subsonic set to around 24hz. I can play 20hz full tilt with no issues but don't expect to hear much from 20hz. You need a lot of cone area to make it audible, and that is assuming you can even hear it over the rattling.

For a lot of people, tuning low is best because it provides a flattened out response as opposed to tuning higher which may be closer to your vehicles peak. Honestly it comes down to what kind of sound you want. I wanted a flat response from 20-50, so I tuned low. For someone that does any competing especially like bass racing, you may want to tune higher around 37-40. Like I said though it all comes down to how you want it to sound. If you want to play around with your tuning I suggest getting some aero ports and playing around with the length of it until you are satisfied.

Be careful, that's a hasty generalization.

These things have a lot to do with the vehicle and the woofers and the box. Feel free to email me and I will be more than happy to give you my full opinion on what you should do.