PDA

View Full Version : need to relocate my rear deck speakers.

CAT MAN
01-17-2012, 09:47 AM
ok so ive ben an SQ guy for a while but never really got into it until a few months ago.
my rear speakers are in the deck in the rear... i need to remove them to get more spl from the trunk BUT i want to keep my rear soundstage so i can be more SQ involved. now one thought i had was putting another pair of mids in my doors. the ones now are in factory locations very close to the kick.
i can also place them in my rear panels but they are curved so i would have to glass them.

no cliffs...

but would putting another set of speakers in my door as far to the rear as i can go be ok? or would glassing the rear panels be better?

KTMrida4life
01-17-2012, 09:51 AM
I have the same questions. I cant keep my rear speakers, I may be doing a port through my rear deck soon and have to leave it open..

I may glass some speaker pods to sit on top of my rear deck for some comps.

CHEMMINS
01-17-2012, 10:30 PM
To be perfectly honest, most SQ cars do not run rear fill. I would run a great front stage, and have it like a true concert where all the speakers are in front of you. Bass is omni directional, so they can be behind you. Try to keep 80+ hz in front of you.

keep_hope_alive
01-18-2012, 12:23 AM
To be perfectly honest, most SQ cars do not run rear fill. I would run a great front stage, and have it like a true concert where all the speakers are in front of you. Bass is omni directional, so they can be behind you. Try to keep 80+ hz in front of you.

every concert hall has reflections from the rear that give you an idea of the volume of the room. not running rears is like an outdoor concert in a field. not a bad thing, but different than what we are used to. we like some rear information. the trick is getting rear fill to sound like delayed reflections to give an impression of volume. one goal with a car SQ is to make the system sound like we are in a much larger space.

rear door speakers are too close to the respective front seats so you'll stage will be affected. from the driver's seat you'll hear the near rear door speaker sooner and more than the passenger rear door. that isn't rear fill by definition and just works out poorly.

try to come up with rear speaker locations/aiming that will be diffuse. rear deck speakers suffer from specular reflections from the rear glass. another future project of mine is to experiment with rear fill using a variety of full range drivers. i think some 2"-3" drivers would be easy to locate/aim and provide the desired 400Hz-4kHz rear fill with ease. you don't need much airspace, you could even look at a closed back midrange driver. maybe the c-pillars and firing sideways? you'll just have to test. each vehicle is different.