PDA

View Full Version : Car Problem - Fuel Guage.

cbuts
01-12-2012, 02:59 PM
i drive a 2006 chevrolet malibu lt v6. 3.5

filled up my gas tank this morning to the nuts, drove around for a half hour.

engine light comes on, and my gas guage drops to empty and says LOW FUEL.

a shop didnt look at it but said it could be a fuel pump - $600.

another shop said they need an hour to diagnose it for $80.

any one who knows anything and can tell me something would be appreciated :P

J31Rob
01-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Get a Honda.

cbuts
01-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Get a Honda.

why do people like you have to make posts like this.
GTFO

dragonrage
01-13-2012, 01:56 PM
It's the sending unit... Part will be about $100, and should be accessible from the trunk. I'm actually going to be replacing one of those on an 07 Malibu either this weekend or next. It is NOT part of the fuel pump. It is separate. Get it from www.rockauto.com

Honda is not more reliable than anyone else. Not even GM. Not even slightly. (I'm not a GM shill, either... All companies make good cars and bad cars. My next car won't be a GM, and that's just how it goes.)

ThatChevyGuy
01-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Maybe dont fill it up so full next time? lol

disturbed471985
01-13-2012, 02:03 PM
^^^ $5 at a time here I ride empty..

ThatChevyGuy
01-13-2012, 02:06 PM
gas light has been on for two days and i got $6!

dragonrage
01-13-2012, 02:17 PM
^^^ $5 at a time here I ride empty..

Gonna burn your fuel pump out that way, man.

disturbed471985
01-13-2012, 02:19 PM
^^ Its lasted since 03!! When ur broke ur broke..

dragonrage
01-13-2012, 03:00 PM
^^ Its lasted since 03!! When ur broke ur broke..

I understand. Just keep it in mind. Pumps that are designed to pump liquid do not like it when they do not have liquid to pump. Every time you run out of gas, your fuel pump loses some of its life (much more than it would if it were operating normally with gas). Each time you are low on gas and you hit a bump and the fuel pump has trouble picking up gas for a few moments, same thing.

I can't tell you to find money to put in your gas tank, just warning you that it's not good for the pump. If you could try to keep at least a quarter tank in there, your car would appreciate it. If not... oh well.

J31Rob
01-17-2012, 08:58 AM
GTFO
It was a JOKE. Pull the stick out of your ***.. unless you just enjoy it.. if so then just shut the **** up and get a sense of humor.

dragonrage
01-18-2012, 08:09 AM
So, as it turns out, Malibus need to have their tanks dropped to access the fuel pump / sender after all. No fuel pump access window in the trunk or under the rear seat. Ugh. I put it off until this upcoming weekend because my cousin had way too much fuel in his tank for that last weekend.

bubbagumper6
01-18-2012, 08:45 AM
GTFO

Just report his posts, trolling in the tech sections is against the rules. :fyi:

cbuts
01-21-2012, 01:01 PM
It's the sending unit... Part will be about $100, and should be accessible from the trunk. I'm actually going to be replacing one of those on an 07 Malibu either this weekend or next. It is NOT part of the fuel pump. It is separate. Get it from RockAuto Auto Parts (http://www.rockauto.com)

Honda is not more reliable than anyone else. Not even GM. Not even slightly. (I'm not a GM shill, either... All companies make good cars and bad cars. My next car won't be a GM, and that's just how it goes.)

well after a half hour my guages went back up to full tank, but my engine light stayed on, after a day the lights off and everythings working fine?

some shop told me its the fuel pump, without looking
another shop said it could be the "levelling unit" which is 50-100 which is what im guessing you said ( without looking at it )

so im guessing its fine now??

lol
thanks

cbuts
01-21-2012, 06:23 PM
actually, just filled up my gas tank, and its doing it again.. lol

stevew007
01-21-2012, 06:43 PM
go to a chevy/malibu forum I'm sure you will get an exact answer

Louisiana_CRX
01-21-2012, 06:47 PM
The GM trucks have had this problem for years the sending unit is built into the pump and goes bad its about a $500 part and $500 labor at the dealership because tank has to be dropped to replace....It should be a recall but its not...hopefully yours won't be that bad....

dragonrage
01-23-2012, 11:50 AM
The GM trucks have had this problem for years the sending unit is built into the pump and goes bad its about a $500 part and $500 labor at the dealership because tank has to be dropped to replace....It should be a recall but its not...hopefully yours won't be that bad....

Mechanics tell you it's built in but that's usually not true. Especially dealerships who don't give a *****... they'd just as soon drop in a whole new gas tank with the fuel pump and the sending unit if they thought the customer would let them and pay for it.

Anyway, it's DEFINITELY not true for the Malibu. As I said before, the part is separate and is $80-100. Why you ignored that comment, I do not know.

Quick notes on procedure: Pull fuel pump fuse from trunk, try to start car for a couple seconds to depressurize lines. Get the car on a lift or 4 jack stands (4 will be much better than 2 so you can have some room), disconnect the lines (they are quick disconnect type; the tools may help but you may not need them), undo the straps, and drop the tank. From there, the part (at least the one I bought) actually comes with instructions.

If you've got the 2.2, there's an exhaust pipe towards the side of the tank that you might be able to get around without disconnecting. I believe the V6 will definitely need some exhaust stuff disconnected. Suspension is not in the way.

bubbagumper6
01-23-2012, 12:15 PM
go to a chevy/malibu forum I'm sure you will get an exact answer

This. A car audio forum is not the place to go for vehicle problems unless they're audio related...

akheathen
01-23-2012, 10:30 PM
the reason shops quote a new pump, is that they tend to officially come as a whole pump/sender/housing drop-in unit on most gm's since the late 90's. however, the pump, and sender can be purchased separately, just pick a good brand. the thing is, though is that the sender can have a wear life between 100-160k, depending on how constant the fuel level is, and about 120k is the expected typical life of a pump, so replacing both at once just makes sense, really. one other thing to look at- the earlier style connector was a lesser design than the newer style, and you should check for an update. in all honesty, it takes me about an hour, or 2 in worse case, to pull the units out, just be real careful with the plastic lines, as you can bust those off easy if you just drop the tank down and tug on them. once you look at your float sensor plate, you will see a fan of lines, and a little tang that rides on them. a bad unit will have worn those down, likely at the top if you like to keep a full tank, and even can wear the tang down significantly. also, i have seen poor contacts on the jumper wires that go from the ext plug to the units themselves. this would be fuel contact sensitive. i suggest running the fuel as low as possible, if you haven't thought of it already. if you have some clean buckets and the proper fittings, you can even pump most of the fuel out via the fuel rail, or return line. once again, pick a higher quality pump, or sender, if you want it to last. i've seen many go out in a few months of use.

cbuts
02-01-2012, 10:41 AM
my car is a 06, 3.5 l, shop quoted 220 cash to drop tank and replace sending unit $90

thanks guys

JDuhaime309
02-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Its a fuel sending unit that went out on the pump. Not that hard guys... Don't give the man asking for help bullsh*t about getting a different car. He obviously likes his car enough. Give the man a straight answer no bullsh*t, quit being ignorant as hell.

audioatg
02-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Why not just say. Its a Fuel level sensor. It sits right on the side of the fuel pump. I am sure that the check engine light is on because of it. I am sure its a fuel level sensor erratic reading code.

When you say sending unit. Ppl might not understand what that means. Fuel level sensor is a better way of saying it. As it is what the sensor does. Tells you how much fuel you have. Its a common problem on all GM vehicles. As to fuel pumps going bad in fords.