PDA

View Full Version : opinions on focal ?

crxking
03-07-2004, 09:47 PM
has anyone heard these and what r they like ?

Unreal
03-07-2004, 10:31 PM
Which ones? Utopias are like a gift from heaven.

Kevlars are amazing.

crxking
03-07-2004, 11:52 PM
are the Utopias line better then the k2 line ?

Unreal
03-08-2004, 01:45 AM
Utopias are the top of the line focals.

Online, you can find the utopias for $500-600 a set for 6.5"s. They retail around $850-900 a set.

The K2s I believe are Kevlar. The Kevlars have a yellow cone, while the utopias have a grey cone.

crxking
03-08-2004, 08:13 PM
yea the k2s r leather r they still nice ?

DJ FURY
03-08-2004, 10:04 PM
If u can afford 900 speakers(comp) then u can afford to save up a little longer and get some rainbows.

Pete
03-09-2004, 12:31 AM
I prefer the kevlar over the utopias because I like the tweeters better from the k2's, but I still like my CDT HD's better :)

jimmyslide
03-09-2004, 08:23 AM
Heard all of their lines and one word sums up their product...phenomenal...

Get the Utopias and it sound like you have a nice little 10" sub in their with you. Great midrange response and accurate as heck. Nice...just plain nice. The kevlars are next to go in my 'stang.

VTEC11
03-10-2004, 01:37 PM
Hey guys,

just joined this forum. First post.

Has anyone had experience with the Focal Access line, 6.5 compoenents and coaxes. I'm about to get them. THey use the same tweeters as the polyglass, and kevlar lines..

thanks..

Matador
03-10-2004, 02:48 PM
the utopia are indeed like heaven=D

u know which one sounds really good but wont break ur bank? the polyglass series.

around 200-300 a set. but oh man they sound really really good, they are awesome. i listened to the polyglass, to some of the higher ones from ID, MB quartz, boston, morel, and some other one i forget, but all within 2 hours, and man i was very very impressed w the focals that i wish i could get the polyglass 3 way for cheaper than $350, hopefully for $250 brand new but that wont happen.

AWESOME speakers

VTEC11
03-10-2004, 02:54 PM
i really want to get the polyglass 165v2's but i don't think the midbass drivers would fit into the doors. There about 2.85" deep. The slim ones look like they would fit but are more expensive than the regular ones. And the magnet on those are soooo tiny.

So that's why i think i'll have to get the focal ACCESS...

Pete
03-10-2004, 09:59 PM
I have a set of the access and really wasn't all that thrilled with them. I bought them without hearing them and only going off the other focal lines that I had heard.
The polyglass is well worth the small increase to me, and the CDT HD-62 set just blows them away in an instant.

VTEC11
03-10-2004, 11:51 PM
pete which access did you try? I was looking at getting the 165A components and the 165CA coaxs..

Maybe i should go with the CDT cl61a, but i'm not sure if they'll fit in my car without major modding. Does anyone have the mounting specs on the cl61a ?

I'm looking at putting them in a 2000 Acura TL..

thanks..

Pete
03-12-2004, 09:17 AM
vtec
I have the focal 165a components and just thought they sounded flat and not rich at all, the tweeter was ok... nothing wrong with them but they weren't anything special at all. The midbass had a little bit of midbass., but not much at all.
I was running these comps off of an MTX Thunder502, but in all fairness I never ran new speaker wire to the crossovers because we all know how much of pain that is to do in a 95 civic. So that could have been the biggest problem with them.

I just finished the kicks for my CDT HD-62s now so I may be getting rid of the Focals, so pm me an offer if you're interested in trying a low price option first.

-Pete

p.s. I should also say that I work on the side as a recording and mixing engineer as well as a music producer so my ears are very trained and I am VERY picky about speakers.

green_slip
03-14-2004, 09:11 PM
pete where did you get your hd-62's and how much were they? also have you ever heard the CDT hd-62 comps?

Pete
03-14-2004, 09:29 PM
I got the midbass drivers a few years ago at a local shop that is no longer a CDT dealer and got the tweeters and new crossovers a few weeks ago direct from CDT.
I hear outerlimitsaudio.com has some good prices if you email them and ask.

I absolutely love the HDs, makes me really want to listen to the Carbonfiber and Eurosport lines.

VTEC11
03-15-2004, 12:48 PM
what exactly is the difference between the CDT CL series and the HD series. I believe the tweeter is 1" on the HD, but that can also be purchased for the CL. Is there a big difference in the midbass drivers? They look similar..

bumpin_blazer
03-15-2004, 01:16 PM
my thoughts on utopia's being heaven is that people are being decieved by the devil. utopia's have a decent midbass and great midrange response. you can't have great on both it doesn't work that way. the tweeter is horribly bright i couldn't tame it with my Eq. now they were ran for 2 weeks in my car off a zapco 200 for the tweeters and zapco 350 for mids so they had enough power. i will steer clear of focal or cdt and take my DIY setup. next step is Lotus mids in my car yes they will be nice:D.

adam

green_slip
03-15-2004, 02:28 PM
after all the threads on you bumpin_blazer, it's hard to take anything you say into consideration. your the first one to diss on the utopia's.

Pete
03-15-2004, 03:03 PM
I have to agree about the Utopia tweeters... If I could get the utopia midbass with the k2 tweeters then I would be happy.

bumpin_blazer
03-15-2004, 03:38 PM
anyone who says the utopia tweeter isn't harsh is in a dream world. the midbass speakers i loved them and wanted to keep those b/c i'd rather have killer midrange b/c they spank my vifa's. i didn't diss the speaker as much as i pointed out my personal thoughts on what is a hard to tame tweeter. and green slip my thoughts on audio performance have nothing to do with other threads, please don't waste peoples bandwidth with stupid posts.

adam