PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with Polk DB components?

Danometal
01-10-2012, 12:06 PM
I just received these from Sonicelectronix:

Polk Audio db6501 6.5" 2-way Component Car Speakers System (db 6501) (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9109_Polk-Audio-db6501.html)

Back story as to why I'm asking:

I first ordered a set of Massive Audio CK6V components last month. To my dismay they wouldn't fit in my doors. I didn't realize how shallow the space is between the speaker grill and the rolled down window. so, I called Sonicelectronix and got a RMA on them, and while I was on the phone, I ordered the Polks. (I didn't want to pay the 10% restocking fee, so I ordered the Polks along with the RMA)

So, while the Polks were en route, I started packing up the Massives to ship back, and I dropped a tweeter on the hard floor, breaking a piece of one of the flush mount cups... so can't send them back anymore. ARRRRGGGG!!

I could always install the Massives plus the Boston GTA-704 amp I bought for them in my severely beat up work truck when I get it up and running this Spring. Be a sleeper SQ install. My car they were intended for has an Alpine CDA-117 in it, which pushes the stock components quite well. Very loud and clear actually, so I could just send the Polks back and leave well enough alone with my car.

So, send the Polks back and sleeper SQ the truck, or install them and the amp in my car and sit on the Massives?

Thankz!

Danometal
01-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Here's where the Massives are living right now. They are hooked up to a Sony Desktop stereo (160 RMS x 2) at my office for "work radio" lol

http://cdn2.caraudio.com/1/0/1/1/5/3/7/massives_thumb.jpg (http://www.caraudio.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=12810)

Louisiana_CRX
01-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Here's where the Massives are living right now. They are hooked up to a Sony Desktop stereo (160 RMS x 2) at my office for "work radio" lol

http://cdn2.caraudio.com/1/0/1/1/5/3/7/massives_thumb.jpg (http://www.caraudio.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=12810)

they need a little enclouser around the mids and they will sound a lot better...it wouldn't be the best but if its only temporary ...you could use a heavy grade small card board box and even a small port in the rear like the tube in the center of a toilet paper roll...Id mount the mids and tweets like a bookshelf style speaker...with tweets above mids...you'll get a night and day diffrence in sq...if your gonna keep permenant id recomend building a quality box out of birch for them...and using a pvc or aluminum port

Danometal
01-10-2012, 12:57 PM
they need a little enclouser around the mids and they will sound a lot better...it wouldn't be the best but if its only temporary ...you could use a heavy grade small card board box and even a small port in the rear like the tube in the center of a toilet paper roll...Id mount the mids and tweets like a bookshelf style speaker...with tweets above mids...you'll get a night and day diffrence in sq...if your gonna keep permenant id recomend building a quality box out of birch for them...and using a pvc or aluminum port

Yea, if they are are deemed to have no life in a car or truck, I will go birch. I'm basically just testing them out on the desk at the moment. I already modelled them in WinISD, and 1 net cube each @ 33 hz looks the best for a full range response.

You know much about Polk DBs?

zako
01-17-2012, 11:23 PM
What do you need to know about them? There is a pretty long russian language review and test:
http://www.avtozvuk.com/az/2011/05/050-polk.htm

It's positive. Use google translator if you want to see details. The frequency response looks very good on axis with tweeter attenuation at the lowest level.

Danometal
01-18-2012, 12:14 AM
I guess I'm concerned with them distorting. My wife has a 5.25 inch set on a Kicker 200.2 (75 watts RMS x 2), and they distort at high volume. I will be having tons of clean power on tap though (MAX RMS = 250 x 2 @ 4 ohms bridged @ 14.4 V), so I plan to simply turn up the gain until it gets loud enough for daily listening and roll with it. It will probably end up around 125 -150 watts RMS x 2 most likely. I have read that passive Xovers eat up to half the power, so I guess the wife's amp is clipping trying to give them what they want.

BTW, are you Zakoh from DIYMA?

zako
01-18-2012, 06:24 AM
I guess I'm concerned with them distorting. My wife has a 5.25 inch set on a Kicker 200.2 (75 watts RMS x 2), and they distort at high volume. I will be having tons of clean power on tap though (MAX RMS = 250 x 2 @ 4 ohms bridged @ 14.4 V), so I plan to simply turn up the gain until it gets loud enough for daily listening and roll with it. It will probably end up around 125 -150 watts RMS x 2 most likely. I have read that passive Xovers eat up to half the power, so I guess the wife's amp is clipping trying to give them what they want.

My ears usually give up before they can discern the distortion. If the distortion is audible I guess it's not good. Is that in midrange or low frequencies? Audibly distorted bass could be result of insufficient amplifier power or rattles. I'd be surprised though if the 75watt kicker amplifier can't power these adequately. The review I linked does note the elevated (measured) THD of the speakers at around 1KHz, but their listening test turned out to be good.

BTW, are you Zakoh from DIYMA?

If I told this to you, I would have to kill you.

Danometal
01-18-2012, 11:43 AM
My ears usually give up before they can discern the distortion. If the distortion is audible I guess it's not good. Is that in midrange or low frequencies? Audibly distorted bass could be result of insufficient amplifier power or rattles. I'd be surprised though if the 75watt kicker amplifier can't power these adequately. The review I linked does note the elevated (measured) THD of the speakers at around 1KHz, but their listening test turned out to be good.

It's hard to say. She's crossed at 100 hz on the 5.25s. Her tweeters are set @ 0 db on the Xovers, and they can get harsh up high. She does have a factory GM HU from 1998 though with LOCs hooked up. Maybe that's a factor.

If I told this to you, I would have to kill you.

lolz

I'm Danometal from DIYMA haha