PDA

View Full Version : Box tips & tricks

bgowdy31
01-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Ok im looking for some tips. the org i compete in is a local/daily setup type of org. im gonna do a AQ 18" sub up port back, aero port box w/ 4 4" aeros, and gonna be running 2k - 2.3k. So i could use some input, just thoughts as far as box size, port position as in does it matter the pattern of the aeros(all along bottom of box, one in each corner ext.) let me know what you think, any input helps...

thanks in advanced

mast240
01-09-2012, 01:21 PM
how much room do you have for your enclosure?

ahole-ic
01-09-2012, 01:22 PM
The vehicle and relationship from port to panel is much more important than anything included in your post. Also mic position, door and window orientation etc.

bgowdy31
01-09-2012, 01:24 PM
how much room do you have for your enclosure?

its a blazer so i should be good for about anything

bgowdy31
01-09-2012, 01:26 PM
The vehicle and relationship from port to panel is much more important than anything included in your post. Also mic position, door and window orientation etc.

ok if you mean between port and hatch i like it to be about 6 or 7 inches, and not sure what you mean by mic pos?

sacsking916
01-09-2012, 02:05 PM
ok if you mean between port and hatch i like it to be about 6 or 7 inches, and not sure what you mean by mic pos?

exactly like it says. where is the mic positioned for your run?

bgowdy31
01-09-2012, 02:11 PM
oh lol. its 3 rounds. Average Between the 3 pos...
R1. floor(kick)
R2. window(dash)
R3. headrest
gives you the final DB

but im more worried about the headrest seeing thats the hardest place get a higher db. and in most cases ive seen when your headrest
is high you kick & dash are higher numbers

ahole-ic
01-09-2012, 02:14 PM
More port area. Lower tuning is good for the headrest. Port to the driver's side "over by where your jack is stored" is louder in blazers. Learn your peak freq for burps and only burp that. Buy my warhorse that puts out 10k at 2 ohm and burp it at 1 ohm. :) You will begin winning.

sacsking916
01-09-2012, 02:17 PM
More port area. Lower tuning is good for the headrest. Port to the driver's side "over by where your jack is stored" is louder in blazers. Learn your peak freq for burps and only burp that. Buy my warhorse that puts out 10k at 2 ohm and burp it at 1 ohm. :) You will begin winning.

one thing he forgot to mention is he competes on music iirc. so his scored are averaged on music

ahole-ic
01-09-2012, 02:21 PM
one thing he forgot to mention is he competes on music iirc. so his scored are averaged on music

Crap. Well everything other than burp freq is important then. If it were me, I would find 2 different songs with 30 seconds of constant bass. 1 song would be ~40 hz. The other would be 50hz or higher. I would build an enclosure with removable ports and tune them to peak at the frequency each song plays at. Then when metering at the headrest play the low frequency song. For the dash and kick play the higher frequency.

bgowdy31
01-09-2012, 02:27 PM

ok so fire the port off the side, or port on driver side firing off hatch?

bgowdy31
01-09-2012, 02:28 PM

yea...sorry bout that

bgowdy31
01-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Crap. Well everything other than burp freq is important then. If it were me, I would find 2 different songs with 30 seconds of constant bass. 1 song would be ~40 hz. The other would be 50hz or higher. I would build an enclosure with removable ports and tune them to peak at the frequency each song plays at. Then when metering at the headrest play the low frequency song. For the dash and kick play the higher frequency.

ok thanks... so ima try to find a bigger port (8"). ima make a box with 4" 4s for now though just for sh*ts & giggles, if i put all 4 aeros on the drivers side would it matter.

it would look like this:

l
O O <--aeros lside <--- something like this (yea im bored @work lmao)
O O l
---------------bottom

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

that didnt turn out right lol

ahole-ic
01-09-2012, 02:51 PM
ok so fire the port off the side, or port on driver side firing off hatch?

I was very specific in what I said.

ahole-ic
01-09-2012, 02:52 PM
ok thanks... so ima try to find a bigger port (8"). ima make a box with 4" 4s for now though just for sh*ts & giggles, if i put all 4 aeros on the drivers side would it matter.

it would look like this:

l
O O <--aeros lside <--- something like this (yea im bored @work lmao)
O O l
---------------bottom

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

that didnt turn out right lol

That would be fine but you will always be better off with 1 big port vs a bunch of small ports. It seems like you know that already but I just wanted to reinforce that.

bgowdy31
01-09-2012, 02:55 PM
That would be fine but you will always be better off with 1 big port vs a bunch of small ports. It seems like you know that already but I just wanted to reinforce that.

yea... im get a bigger aero. i just already have these 4s and some scrap wood so i though i would try it.

dbeez
01-09-2012, 03:05 PM
In the aq world bigger is better try 7 cubes at 32 hz but the aeros you have are a waste of your time.

bgowdy31
01-09-2012, 03:17 PM
In the aq world bigger is better try 7 cubes at 32 hz but the aeros you have are a waste of your time.

bigger for spl? and the 2k - 2.3k that im going to run? plus with the power i figured a smaller ensclosure (4.5 - 5 cubes) would control the sub better since im running @ or over the max(though max dont count for sh*it)

dbeez
01-09-2012, 03:45 PM
That's what we ran ours in off an aq3500 so a real 3500 watts daily.

bgowdy31
01-09-2012, 03:52 PM
nice.. like i said though ima upgrade to a bigger aero. however was your setup a comp set. cus ur sig says daily

sacsking916
01-09-2012, 04:00 PM
That's what we ran ours in off an aq3500 so a real 3500 watts daily.

nice.. like i said though ima upgrade to a bigger aero. however was your setup a comp set. cus ur sig says daily

says it right there brotha

bgowdy31
01-09-2012, 04:03 PM
i see that he said daily. thats why i was wondering how his had anything to do with my setup. but oh well. thanks anyway

sacsking916
01-09-2012, 04:23 PM
i see that he said daily. thats why i was wondering how his had anything to do with my setup. but oh well. thanks anyway

lemme make it a little easy on you bro. for future reference dont say "comp box" caust to MOST they will think you are talking burp. for your setup you need a daily build that will put up a good number on music. then it will just be more suggestions than anything, know what i mean?

bgowdy31
01-10-2012, 07:52 AM
lemme make it a little easy on you bro. for future reference dont say "comp box" caust to MOST they will think you are talking burp. for your setup you need a daily build that will put up a good number on music. then it will just be more suggestions than anything, know what i mean?

i see your point. im about to make a aero port out of the 4 4" ports. ima try to make 4 4's into 1 8 eight inch lol

bgowdy31
01-10-2012, 02:48 PM
ok came to conclusion. im going to take DBEEZ advice above and go with 7 cubes. not sure on the tune. its gonna be on music so not sure yet. im going sub up port back, aero port will be on the drivers side of blazer. will it matter the position of the sub on top of the box(as in same side as aeroport, in the middle of box, or on the oposit side from port)?

bgowdy31
01-10-2012, 02:49 PM
well its actually 7.5 cubes but after the 8 inch aero i figure it will be around 7.