PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy?

pro-rabbit
01-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Well, I'm looking to change out a few things.

Mainly more then anything a nice receiver and hdmi cables.

I'm open to places and products options.

Not worried about speakers or sub stage. I am going to build all of the that myself.

bubbagumper6
01-09-2012, 11:48 AM
I bought my Onkyo receiver from Crutchfield. After a ton of searching I ended up getting the best deal there using a coupon I found on CouponCabin (http://www.couponcabin.com)

Not 100% sure I'd recommend Onkyo though, I did have to take it in for service because one of my HDMI ports just failed randomly.

double 07
01-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Onkyo tuner.....Don't make the mistake like I did and buy a POS Denon.....Should have went with my first instincts.......I got all of my cabling from good ole Amazon...

Mattd0344
01-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Get your cables from monoprice.com

RangerDangerV2
01-09-2012, 06:44 PM
sonic electronix and ssa are the only two that come to mind

DoesDad
01-09-2012, 06:53 PM
sonic electronix and ssa are the only two that come to mind

For home audio?

RangerDangerV2
01-09-2012, 06:57 PM
I thought that they carried some home stuff.... maybe not.

DoesDad
01-09-2012, 07:05 PM
You're probably right....

bubbagumper6
01-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Get your cables from monoprice.com

Monoprice offers some cheap cables but sometimes you do get what you pay for. I had one fail on me and it was a PITA to track down, not to mention I thought it was my receiver acting up again....that being said, I replaced the cheap cable with another cheap cable so...yeah, lol

05trailblazer
01-09-2012, 07:24 PM
gamestop has some hdmi work for me looks better too! i think for like 25

audiobaun
01-09-2012, 08:56 PM
I have a Technics, and Yamaha.Got rid of my Sony, and JVC.The Yamaha has been my favorite so far.:D There is a place that alot of people may not know, that carries pretty decent items,that I found about 6yrs ago..millionbuy.com
Check it out, you may find something at a good price as well/open box items, also

JimJ
01-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Monoprice offers some cheap cables but sometimes you do get what you pay for. I had one fail on me and it was a PITA to track down, not to mention I thought it was my receiver acting up again....that being said, I replaced the cheap cable with another cheap cable so...yeah, lol

When I was in commercial A/V, we went through boxes of Monoprice-sourced DisplayPort cables that had faulty connectors. To the point where our engineers banned them from every bill of materials they could find :D You're definitely right, sometimes sourcing for a price point has its downsides. But their RCAs seemed to hold up.

Well, I'm looking to change out a few things.

Mainly more then anything a nice receiver and hdmi cables.

I'm open to places and products options.

Not worried about speakers or sub stage. I am going to build all of the that myself.

How much are you willing to spend?

I'm partial to the idea of separating the equipment out into multiple components, as they tend to be built to a higher standard - so you'd have an integrated amp plus a tuner, or no tuner at all if you don't listen to the radio. But that costs much more than a typical Best Buy receiver does.

As far as HDMI cables go, you can go with something basic like Extron (used a ton of them, never had any faults), or if you have a ton of cash to burn something like Blue Jeans (I happen to like their RCA interconnects, but they aren't cheap).

Flipx99
01-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Have had good luck with Dayton audio from pe.

Bass Addict
01-15-2012, 08:19 PM
check out the yamaha p series for the sub stage.they are pa amplifiers.make sure the av has a sub out and get a line converter "ROLLS MB15B" it took my -10db rating from my yamaha htr-5830 and puts out +4db required for pro gear.no hum,amps fan runs quiet.no fuss,just works !! initially,i was going to go with a plate amp but read too many negative reviews about several different brands.the yamaha p series rocks.for home theater and music.and if thats not enough for you,then add a dbx 120a between the av and the amp.best of luck !

edit;check out zzsounds.com excellent service with fast shipping

i2ain2thunder
01-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Parts Express: the #1 source for audio, video & speaker building components (http://www.parts-express.com)

dragonrage
01-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Onkyo receivers have the features at a good price but they are one of the less reliable brands.

Check the "deal" websites for receivers as deals are coming and going all the time. Ben's Bargains - Coupons, Bargains, Freebies (http://www.bensbargains.net) Coupons and Deals: Save money with hot deals and coupon codes (http://www.fatwallet.com) Slickdeals: The Best Deals, Coupons & Discounts on Laptops, Computers, LCDs, TVs, Dell, HP, Apple, Amazon (http://www.slickdeals.net)

Newegg has had a lot of Onkyo, Pioneer and Yamaha deals. Crutchfield ***** for prices pretty much all the time.

For HDMI (and many other) cables, HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more! (http://www.monoprice.com)

If you have any source components that are not HDMI then you want to go at least Onkyo 609, Pioneer 1021, Denon 1911, etc. That way you get analog to HDMI conversion and upscaling (though the latter is less important; the former is helpful because you don't need to run multiple video cables from the receiver to the TV and you don't need to change TV inputs unless you want to use its tuner)

LuckyatVMI
03-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Onkyo receivers have the features at a good price but they are one of the less reliable brands.

Respectfully disagree, friends and I are Onkyo fans and have been using our HT systems for years without any issues.

wenn_du_weinst
03-14-2012, 06:32 PM
the pioneer elite stuff is nice for budget equipment.

MANTI5
03-14-2012, 06:37 PM
I never had problems with Onkyo. Check out AVS forum for much more knowledgeable advice and reviews.