PDA

View Full Version : Ideal box for 2 15" DC Level 3's?

Fi_
01-08-2012, 07:56 AM
I have 2 15" DC Level 3's with added spiders (2 on each.) running off a DC 1.2K @ 1 ohm. I was wondering what size box, tuning and which way to fire. I heard in jeeps that side firing is the best option and to use 2 8" Aero's. I was thinking 7ft^3 @ 32hz with 2 8" aero's side firing but wanted second opinions

dbeez
01-08-2012, 09:06 AM
hahahahahaha

pro-rabbit
01-08-2012, 10:50 AM
hahahahahaha

Now that is not nice.

:hide:

dbeez
01-08-2012, 10:56 AM
I find this quite comical myself.

Falcons
01-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Hey grammar police, I just called the box fail police on you

pro-rabbit
01-08-2012, 10:57 AM
:sword:

Ok. I'm done trolling. If you want a design PM and and for my normal preset rate I can get you a design.

mast240
01-08-2012, 11:07 AM
I love how this dude does a "ton of builds" and has "a huge following", but yet, still comes here for advice on the simplest of enclosure designs.

Falcons
01-08-2012, 11:08 AM
I love how this dude does a "ton of builds" and has "a huge following", but yet, still comes here for advice on the simplest of enclosure designs.

especially when you can go on their website and they give you every bit of info on an enclosure you would need lol

Falcons
01-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Suggested Sealed
.65 ft
1 ft
2 ft
Suggested Ported
1 ft
1.5 ft
3 ft

bam straight off the website!

dbeez
01-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Those are just guidelines you really need to tweak on them for your power musical taste and available space but he knows all and design doesn't mean ****.just slap that ***** together cause as you have said it doesn't matter in your experience how its built it sounds the same. But that does occur in ****** designs and ****** builds. The outcome is only as good as the builder and designer.

pro-rabbit
01-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Those are just guidelines. They are also based off of "stock" level subs. Nothing upgraded.

Not only do you need to take into consideration everything dbeez has said, but the overall application as well.

Falcons
01-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Those are just guidelines. They are also based off of "stock" level subs. Nothing upgraded.

Not only do you need to take into consideration everything dbeez has said, but the overall application as well.

yeah i know but that was to prove he was wayyyyy off lol

mast240
01-08-2012, 11:30 AM
yeah i know but that was to prove he was wayyyyy off lol

he's WAY off just by stating that math doesnt really have much to do with designing

Falcons
01-08-2012, 11:33 AM
he's WAY off just by stating that math doesnt really have much to do with designing

i like how he got offline after we started setting him straight again lol

pro-rabbit
01-08-2012, 11:36 AM

I must have missed that somewhere.

Physics(as just about everything else in life) is heavily math based in most cases.

mast240
01-08-2012, 11:42 AM
This guy really is a gem bro...

Every box I have designed has came out fantastic and I never said I was good at math lol you really need to learn to read. I said if something makes sense and is physically possible I believe it, physics aren't hard and I don't really consider them math mostly common sense. I think you guys are over thinking the whole move the subwoofers thing, because that's never changed a **** thing for me in any build not noticeably anyways. But you can believe what you want.

mast240
01-08-2012, 11:45 AM
dbl post

ItsAJeepThing
01-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Subs up port back. Or if you can fit it subs and port back.

Fi_
01-08-2012, 04:44 PM
I have these tuned @ 3ft^3 each but I feel like they need more breathing room... I never once stated I was an amazing box builder just stated that I was happy with my own work and that I don't need someone else to build my boxes and I never said math wasn't required for building a box. Seriously even though I think you guys are tools I'd still help you, the fact that you come trolling into my topic like a bunch of little girls makes me smile though thanks :D Just because 3 of you have a hard on for me doesn't mean others aren't glad to help. and I've done a few builds man people keep coming back to me for a reason...

3 Boxes for an AQHDC3 18"
2 boxes for PSI 18" Platform 1
1 box for 2 15" DC Level 3's
box for 4 Type R 12's
box for 2 SA-12's
box for 2 SDC2.5's
box for 1 AA Mayhem 15"

and of course boxes for CVRs, L7s, Comps, Rockford HE2s the list goes on... I've done a ton of sealed enclosures that hit nice and sound clean. You can hate on me all you want but it's not that hard to build a box, it's hard to know what box will perform best before you build it which is why I'm here.
all of these hit nice and perform decently numbers wise and are very sturdy I have videos of them all and Exo vouches my work. Just because I'm not a bandwaggon follower, dickhugger doesn't mean I don't think I have a lot to learn and that my skills are very limited compared to others. I guess you gotta be Dave the Box guy to build a box around here huh?

Fi_
01-08-2012, 04:46 PM
i like how he got offline after we started setting him straight again lol

You seriously think I got "offline." because YOU guys set me straight?... It's called a life bro get one.

Fi_
01-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Subs up port back. Or if you can fit it subs and port back.

I'm currently doing Subs up port back, if I do both back my hatch rattles like a ***** lol I've heard from a few Jeep owners like hiSPLs that side firing is the best numbers wise but I want to be a daily setup tuned low so I'm wondering what would be best daily? Just keep with subwoofers up port back I guess? maybe I'll just experiment for the hell of it.

pro-rabbit
01-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Why would you drop lower and start calling names? That just goes into showing your true character.

As for you "builds" I hope they are free of charge. They should considering you have no idea what you are doing at this point. You will have trial and error but others should not pay for that.

As for help, use you imaginary idea of physics. It is obvious from post to post you lie about one thing or another. When quoted with a statement you still deny you said it.

Again, if you want help from knowledgeable members you should alter your character to show you deserve free help.

Fi_
01-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Why would you drop lower and start calling names? That just goes into showing your true character.

As for you "builds" I hope they are free of charge. They should considering you have no idea what you are doing at this point. You will have trial and error but others should not pay for that.

As for help, use you imaginary idea of physics. It is obvious from post to post you lie about one thing or another. When quoted with a statement you still deny you said it.

Again, if you want help from knowledgeable members you should alter your character to show you deserve free help.

You're an idiot... Concidering I put about 8 hours into any given box I build due to the fact I don't have the right tools half the time and I'm doing it outside on a wobbly tablesaw, I think it's fair for ANYONE to get paid for that, not to mention I put about a hour hour into each box design based off everything I can find out about the power,subwoofers and enclosure recommendations. I lie about nothing PLEASE quote me then so you can put me in my place because unlike most I never lie I'm as truthful as it gets my friend thats why curtain people don't like me you think if I cared if you guys liked me I would make some cool **** up? No I don't.

and I don't have to altar anything I am who I am and people are fine with that I have a few crybabies every now and then though, you think the way you're talking to me and the way 5forty and them are talking to me I should be nice? they act like children that didnt get what they want. I had a lot of respect for you Rabbit you know a lot of **** but just because you're a genius with car audio doesn't mean im gonna nut hug you man. Car audio is the last thing from seriousness in my life I just love to do it and I study it night and day I'm young and have much to learn I know you know more than me lol.

I guess we will just attack anyone that needs box suggestions because they are a "noob" though. Personally I'm down to drop all the bs and drama that we don't need on this site and admit I say some stupid **** sometimes. But that doesn't change the fact that I'm capable of setting up a good system and I have many vouches.

Also I was going to hit you up to build me a box... I don't know if personal hatred reflects on your business or not so if you don't want to build me a box that's fine but everyone needs money. as long as I dont receive it with a dog turd inside.

double 07
01-08-2012, 05:49 PM
Drama is in full effect on this site I see....Can't we all just get along?.......It's a hobby that all of us enjoy whether we're NOOBS or VETERANS!!!!!!

xmakeafistx
01-08-2012, 05:55 PM
I don't even...

Fi_
01-08-2012, 06:08 PM
I don't even... I just want opinions on what would sound best and all I get is a bunch of elitists insulting me, not that I'm mad I just didn't expect a 2 page barrage lol.

double 07
01-08-2012, 06:14 PM
26529766.....Build you an enclosure like this one.....I built this for a GMC Yukon...Two 15" AA Mayhems....He has a DC Audio 5k on them and it totally SLAMS and sounds amazing doing so....It was around 7 cubes net with 15in port per cube.......Good luck

pro-rabbit
01-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Just because you put in that much time to build does not mean you should get paid. I did builds for free for a log time becuase it is part of the learning curve. I'm not asking or wanting you or anyone else to "nut hug" for any reason. I am actually not here for that. It is a hobby that I have been blessed enough to be very good at and given the chance to make this hobby into a business in various ways.

The majority of the negativity that surrounds you and your posting is your additude. I'm on my phone so going through quote to show that you are waffleing on comments is pain so if I remember I will get to that on Monday.

If you want advice on things you will ave to adjust how you communicate. Taking everything personal then bragging about things you have get you no where. Instead, come here with the "I want to learn." Type of posting. I will be more then happy to help you out, however only if it is for personal use. If you are charging for your work, then you should not need help with things such as simple enclosure designs. However, if it is for your "customers" I would be happy to offer you a tech service as I do for stores.

RAM_Designs
01-08-2012, 06:35 PM
The stock Level 3 15's look great in sealed and 4th order BP's. But since you have a custom order with added spiders, I imagine they're be more ported friendly since the Vas should be brought down some with the stiffer suspension. Dual 8" aeros will need to be very long to get a reasonable tuning.

pro-rabbit
01-08-2012, 06:41 PM
The stock Level 3 15's look great in sealed and 4th order BP's. But since you have a custom order with added spiders, I imagine they're be more ported friendly since the Vas should be brought down some with the stiffer suspension. Dual 8" aeros will need to be very long to get a reasonable tuning.

Way long is a bit of an understatement I would imagine.

Fi_
01-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Just because you put in that much time to build does not mean you should get paid. I did builds for free for a log time becuase it is part of the learning curve. I'm not asking or wanting you or anyone else to "nut hug" for any reason. I am actually not here for that. It is a hobby that I have been blessed enough to be very good at and given the chance to make this hobby into a business in various ways.

The majority of the negativity that surrounds you and your posting is your additude. I'm on my phone so going through quote to show that you are waffleing on comments is pain so if I remember I will get to that on Monday.

If you want advice on things you will ave to adjust how you communicate. Taking everything personal then bragging about things you have get you no where. Instead, come here with the "I want to learn." Type of posting. I will be more then happy to help you out, however only if it is for personal use. If you are charging for your work, then you should not need help with things such as simple enclosure designs. However, if it is for your "customers" I would be happy to offer you a tech service as I do for stores.

I didn't even bother to read any of that to be honest you lost most of my respect no matter how smart you are. You've PM'd people in the past criticizing their boxes saying they need to be a genius to build one practically. Then you troll my topics like a jackass and try to act better than everyone. Don't worry I don't need your help anyways I can pay people like RAM to build a better box than you lol if I really wanted to. This is pointless and a stupid argument just avoid me and we can all be happy or act like a child and blow up all my threads like a little girl. I don't care either way I won't read any of it.

Fi_
01-08-2012, 07:24 PM

Yeah it was very long something like 20-22" if I remember it was only a thought i've wanted to attempt a bandpass it was my next feat to conquer haha. Maybe I'll hit you up for a design thanks for the input.

RAM_Designs
01-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Yeah it was very long something like 20-22" if I remember it was only a thought i've wanted to attempt a bandpass it was my next feat to conquer haha. Maybe I'll hit you up for a design thanks for the input.

For 7ft^3 with a 32hz tuning they'll need to be 32" long each.

Kangaroux
01-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Jesse I suggest tuning to mid 30's. I bumped my tuning up from 26 to 32 and I didn't lose any low end. If your box loads off onto anything like a hatch that will lower your tuning anyways. Do like 2x 6" aeros at ~13" each for 35hz tuning. You should be able to play down to 27 with no issues and will be great if you wanna do the slammin bass classes up here

Fi_
01-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Jesse I suggest tuning to mid 30's. I bumped my tuning up from 26 to 32 and I didn't lose any low end. If your box loads off onto anything like a hatch that will lower your tuning anyways. Do like 2x 6" aeros at ~13" each for 35hz tuning. You should be able to play down to 27 with no issues and will be great if you wanna do the slammin bass classes up here

I'm already tuned at 34hz and I have no wishes to be any higher at all. I'm happy with my current box but the lows don't stand out as much as they should I also think the box is a little small and yeah that was what it was about 32" of port not 22" haha a little long :-p These things say they like 33hz from what I've seen and read so I was looking to be around 32-33 I'm not a fan of 35hz at all didnt like it in any of my builds I'm a low kind of guy. I might skip the aero side firing idea and just do another L Slot port sub up port back since that seems to be loudest in my jeep so far.

and you bumped from 26-32 so you shouldnt have lost much low end anyways. Also the resonant freq of my jeep is like 55hz so it's hard to get it to respond well to the lows I've found 27hz to be pretty nice actually when I tried it before. I've always wanted to try 32hz so thats what im aiming for.

pro-rabbit
01-08-2012, 11:13 PM
I didn't even bother to read any of that to be honest you lost most of my respect no matter how smart you are. You've PM'd people in the past criticizing their boxes saying they need to be a genius to build one practically. Then you troll my topics like a jackass and try to act better than everyone. Don't worry I don't need your help anyways I can pay people like RAM to build a better box than you lol if I really wanted to. This is pointless and a stupid argument just avoid me and we can all be happy or act like a child and blow up all my threads like a little girl. I don't care either way I won't read any of it.
RAM is great guy. You are not. Not much more can be said. Thank you for making my point more clear. All though from a business stand point I do require an amount of respect, I have no loss when if you don't. If I have Pmed a builder which I have done once. It was with info on helping him nothing more and nothing less. It would seen you where lied to if it was said otherwise.

Good luck on your builds. It seems perhaps you will get help. If you would read my posts they are not made from bashing what so ever. Just with factual information that you can not grasp it seems.

pro-rabbit
01-08-2012, 11:16 PM
I'm already tuned at 34hz and I have no wishes to be any higher at all. I'm happy with my current box but the lows don't stand out as much as they should I also think the box is a little small and yeah that was what it was about 32" of port not 22" haha a little long :-p These things say they like 33hz from what I've seen and read so I was looking to be around 32-33 I'm not a fan of 35hz at all didnt like it in any of my builds I'm a low kind of guy. I might skip the aero side firing idea and just do another L Slot port sub up port back since that seems to be loudest in my jeep so far.

and you bumped from 26-32 so you shouldnt have lost much low end anyways. Also the resonant freq of my jeep is like 55hz so it's hard to get it to respond well to the lows I've found 27hz to be pretty nice actually when I tried it before. I've always wanted to try 32hz so thats what im aiming for.

A larger enclosure will assist with lows. As will a few other ideas already mentioned. In many cases moving the port/sub placement will affect it greatly.

Fi_
01-08-2012, 11:35 PM
A larger enclosure will assist with lows. As will a few other ideas already mentioned. In many cases moving the port/sub placement will affect it greatly.

Yeah that was my reason for going with a bigger box and changing port placement I guess at this point I just have to try it. I'm not worried about numbers I already know what I'm capable of hitting with a few tweaks but I'm desperately trying to get the lows and the most out of my subwoofers off only 1.2K. I know they like around 33hz @ 6-7ft^3 I'm just wondering if side firing was a good idea or just for numbers.

Fi_
01-08-2012, 11:38 PM
RAM is great guy. You are not. Not much more can be said. Thank you for making my point more clear. All though from a business stand point I do require an amount of respect, I have no loss when if you don't. If I have Pmed a builder which I have done once. It was with info on helping him nothing more and nothing less. It would seen you where lied to if it was said otherwise.

Good luck on your builds. It seems perhaps you will get help. If you would read my posts they are not made from bashing what so ever. Just with factual information that you can not grasp it seems.

A few people have messages me saying you are an elitist prick that things you need to have a PH.D to build a box. Not my own words either. I've also heard from a lot of people you're a decent guy that knows a lot, I never tested your knowledge but you act like you know me. I'm not a good guy? what is that? I've done a ton of things for people for free, you don't know me like that so don't pass judgement. You telling me I shouldn't be paid for 8 hours of hard work is stupid, why not build your enclosures free then? because you did the work it's automatically worth money? Listen man I don't want problems with anyone I must have came off on the wrong foot here because me and you never had problems until recently.

I just hope sometime we can all get over this bullshit concidering we're all here for the same reasons. So what if I made a post saying most the people on here type like little kids, it's the truth don't get butthurt over it.

hispls
01-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Tuning below 35hz in that jeep is just awful. You lose so much output at the expense of not much great output. Optimum tuning will be high 30's, will dig very low and still keep some good output and not try to roll off over 50hz.

Subs up and port up sounds good, subs up and port to side (into a corner) is good. Port back is good if you want to give up your back seat or have a very small box since you'll want to keep a good foot between the box and back wall...even then, firing port into the corner has been optimum every time I've tested.

Then again, I've told you all this before, but don't listen to the guy with the same Jeep and a meter that has buit and tested over a dozen boxes in it. Other ppl in here that you know in person are also telling you what to do. Not to be an ***, but you're asking what is optimum, then when people tell you you talk about how you "know what the stuff is capable of with tweaks". I will challenge you, what is it capable of? Where are the scores? If you know why not tweak and do it? Why ask these guys?

Also I still have that big *** box up at my farm. You're welcome to come pick it up this February when I'm up there tapping trees. If not I'll either use it for a coffee table, or sawzall it up and burn it... I think firing up or back it may do a little better. It did gain over 2db firing to the side.

pro-rabbit
01-09-2012, 10:50 AM
A few people have messages me saying you are an elitist prick that things you need to have a PH.D to build a box. Not my own words either. I've also heard from a lot of people you're a decent guy that knows a lot, I never tested your knowledge but you act like you know me. I'm not a good guy? what is that? I've done a ton of things for people for free, you don't know me like that so don't pass judgement. You telling me I shouldn't be paid for 8 hours of hard work is stupid, why not build your enclosures free then? because you did the work it's automatically worth money? Listen man I don't want problems with anyone I must have came off on the wrong foot here because me and you never had problems until recently.

I just hope sometime we can all get over this bullshit concidering we're all here for the same reasons. So what if I made a post saying most the people on here type like little kids, it's the truth don't get butthurt over it.

I already know who said that. I find that that to be some what comical actually. Anyone can build a box. That part is simple anyway. The rest of it starts to get interesting unless you just look up specs and build to that. It will normally work some what ok for most applications. That is why it is a general idea of what to build.

If you want to talk to a prick on enclosure design building get in touch with PWK lol.

As for the rest of it. I was not suggesting that you should not get paid for 8 hrs of work(it shouldn't take that long anyway). What I"m saying is if you are still trying to figure things out and learn you should not charge for that. I didn't and for a build I'm still not 100% sure i don't charge for anything but material. All though it is mainly for locals because of their extreme needs to cram things into places they shouldn't be.

RAM_Designs
01-09-2012, 10:52 AM
^^^I vote coffee table.

pro-rabbit
01-09-2012, 10:54 AM
^^^I vote coffee table.

X2

I have done this in the past when I was single. Worked great until friends get careless. I did have one guy try to walk out the door with it. haha

Fi_
01-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Tuning below 35hz in that jeep is just awful. You lose so much output at the expense of not much great output. Optimum tuning will be high 30's, will dig very low and still keep some good output and not try to roll off over 50hz.

Subs up and port up sounds good, subs up and port to side (into a corner) is good. Port back is good if you want to give up your back seat or have a very small box since you'll want to keep a good foot between the box and back wall...even then, firing port into the corner has been optimum every time I've tested.

Then again, I've told you all this before, but don't listen to the guy with the same Jeep and a meter that has buit and tested over a dozen boxes in it. Other ppl in here that you know in person are also telling you what to do. Not to be an ***, but you're asking what is optimum, then when people tell you you talk about how you "know what the stuff is capable of with tweaks". I will challenge you, what is it capable of? Where are the scores? If you know why not tweak and do it? Why ask these guys?

Also I still have that big *** box up at my farm. You're welcome to come pick it up this February when I'm up there tapping trees. If not I'll either use it for a coffee table, or sawzall it up and burn it... I think firing up or back it may do a little better. It did gain over 2db firing to the side.

Hey Jon never once questioned you man infact I've praised you haha and I am listening but didnt you say side firing did better on the meter but not for daily music? Also how am I supposed to side fire into the corner? and I've heard you need the width of your port to be the distance from the hatch a ft sounds like you exaggerated a bit :-p I've tuned into the higher 40's before and it was loud as hell but I lost almost all of my low-end bass and I love my lows :( and hey you saw my scores and you know they weren't bad so shhh!

and I wanted that box when I thought I was going to switch over to 12's but apparently that's not happening anytime soon almost picked up a 12" AA Mayhem but I changed my mind... Sorry man :-/

Fi_
01-09-2012, 10:57 AM
I already know who said that. I find that that to be some what comical actually. Anyone can build a box. That part is simple anyway. The rest of it starts to get interesting unless you just look up specs and build to that. It will normally work some what ok for most applications. That is why it is a general idea of what to build.

If you want to talk to a prick on enclosure design building get in touch with PWK lol.

As for the rest of it. I was not suggesting that you should not get paid for 8 hrs of work(it shouldn't take that long anyway). What I"m saying is if you are still trying to figure things out and learn you should not charge for that. I didn't and for a build I'm still not 100% sure i don't charge for anything but material. All though it is mainly for locals because of their extreme needs to cram things into places they shouldn't be.

It shouldn't take 8 hours to design a box, build a box and then install everything in their car?... I'd say 8 hours is pretty fast compared to some people on here haha and it all looks good it's not half assed. Also I don't get paid for my work because that's the type of person I am but as of late I have started because it's the way things work. YOu start doing something free for one person then everyone expects freebies I'm all set with that I'm already stuck doing that with computers, at the end of the day working on systems for 8 hours I feel like I just got out of work, so I feel like payment is almost a necessity unless you're helping a friend.

Once again not arguing or being an *** but it seems like because you feel a curtain way about something I should :-p You'd be lucky to get someone to help you carry your groceries inside around this town with someone asking for money. I've almost ALL of my builds for free and people have actually paid me afterwards because they were happy I'm just done hooking EVERYONE up for free and working my *** off for practically nothing. Half me friends don't even give me credit they play it off like they did the install, plus now that im starting a business type deal I have to start being thorough about who I charge.