PDA

View Full Version : How close do boxes usually need to be to the recommended box size?

ckunke002
01-07-2012, 11:22 PM
I have a 12 inch sub that "recommends" a 1 cubic foot sealed box. My local store sold me a .9 cubic foot box for a good price, and told me that it would work just fine for my sub's specs. Will using polyfill help make up for lost space a little bit?

Compared to a 1.1 cubic foot box for example, what are the differences of going bigger or smaller than what is recommended sound-wise?

CAT MAN
01-07-2012, 11:29 PM
reccomendations and needs are not the same...but you should be ok in sealed with polyfill

double 07
01-07-2012, 11:36 PM
That enclosure will work just fine but if it's like most of the pre-fabs I have encountered you probably need to buy a small tube of latex caulk and seal the seams inside again....I have seen a lot of them that leaked horribly......

hispls
01-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Give or take as much as 25 or 30% volume particularly in a sealed box generally will make negligable difference.

ckunke002
01-07-2012, 11:51 PM
I just picked up some of this crap from home depot, it's supposed to be an adhesive and caulk, yet doesn't have any latex or silicone or anything in it. Should this work?

Polyseamseal All Purpose Adhesive Caulk from Loctite Adhesives (http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/17/40/pss_seal_ap/overview/Loctite-Polyseamseal-All-Purpose.htm)

ckunke002
01-07-2012, 11:52 PM
I guess it's water based...

double 07
01-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Yes....that will work......

duanebro
01-07-2012, 11:58 PM
you can go to Walmart and buy some pillow stuffing. Put some in filling the box lightly. Don't pack the whole bag in! And see if you hear a difference. It can make the box act like a bigger box. It is not a huge difference, maybe 10-20%

Kind of like fine tuning.

Falcons
01-08-2012, 12:02 AM
your not gonna tell a difference with being .1 cubs off. if they truely did give you a good price then thats cool. like what was already said just run some caulk in it

ckunke002
01-08-2012, 12:05 AM
your not gonna tell a difference with being .1 cubs off. if they truely did give you a good price then thats cool. like what was already said just run some caulk in it

Great, and it seemed like a good price anyways. 40 bucks for it, normally 60

Buck
01-08-2012, 12:09 AM
Why run sealed? It's too easy.

Falcons
01-08-2012, 12:09 AM
Great, and it seemed like a good price anyways. 40 bucks for it, normally 60

that is pretty cheap. thats about how much it makes to build your own, maybe even a little less.

ckunke002
01-08-2012, 12:15 AM
Why run sealed? It's too easy.

Because it sounds great!

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

that is pretty cheap. thats about how much it makes to build your own, maybe even a little less.

I wanted to try to make my own but it seemed a bit intimidating, is it a big task or not so much?

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

reccomendations and needs are not the same...but you should be ok in sealed with polyfill

i liked your old video sig better...

Buck
01-08-2012, 12:19 AM
There are enclosures that sound great that aren't sealed. They just take more work. Going sealed is basically throwing a woofer in the easiest to design and build enclosure. I mean out of all the enclosures, sealed for subs is at the bottom of the totem pole.

Falcons
01-08-2012, 12:19 AM
talk to buck, he can help you out witha few designs im sure. and if you do a good job with building a ported box it will sound good. just take your time with it.

CAT MAN
01-08-2012, 12:21 AM
Because it sounds great!

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

I wanted to try to make my own but it seemed a bit intimidating, is it a big task or not so much?

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

i liked your old video sig better...

need to spice it up once a month

ckunke002
01-08-2012, 12:22 AM
There are enclosures that sound great that aren't sealed. They just take more work. Going sealed is basically throwing a woofer in the easiest to design and build enclosure. I mean out of all the enclosures, sealed for subs is at the bottom of the totem pole.

I don't necessarily have the tools or experience to try to build some big fancy box, and everybody that I know only go either ported or sealed. I don't really know of which other options there are...

ckunke002
01-08-2012, 12:24 AM
need to spice it up once a month

So what is it with all the cats? It makes me lol

duanebro
01-08-2012, 12:53 AM
I don't necessarily have the tools or experience to try to build some big fancy box, and everybody that I know only go either ported or sealed. I don't really know of which other options there are...

sealed is the smallest. easiest. and does lots of things right. but you need twice the number of subs to equal the output of a ported box.

ported. well this is what you see the most of. they get loud, are the second easiest box type to build and design. done right they sound good. bigger than a sealed box.

4 th order band pass, sealed and ported boxes with a sub in the middle. can be tuned for spl or sq. MUST be designed for one model of sub. (no off the shelf will be good examples of this type.) Normally slightly larger than a ported box. Fr is made for sq is closer to a sealed box. But loud as a ported box. lpf and ssf are not needed if designed correctly.

6th order bp. same as above but both boxes are ported.

Transmission line (TL) just search for it. Sounds great. normally bigger than a ported or band pass box. works differently than everything listed above.

horns, you have seen these right? very efficient, huge when used for subs. true horns are not used in cars much do to size.

tapped horns, puts the driver in the mouth of the horn, allows for a smaller horn, some times used in cars.

IB - like sealed but with a huge box. (ie the box is the trunk.) sq only, low power handling, need big subs and often eq

I'm sure I missed some. I got tired of typing on my phone, Google for more details I'm any of the types of boxes

i2ain2thunder
01-08-2012, 01:10 AM

IDK man personally there is nothing that sounds more accurate than a precise sealed enclosure....flattest response possible usually.

Wattser93
01-08-2012, 01:26 PM
A common misconception is that the manufacturer recommended box size is the optimal box. Often the manufacturer will recommend a box for a 12" that 1.7 ft^3 @ 38Hz, a box that will be very peaky and loud, and be small, but SQ/SQL is far from the goal of that design.

I would get a program like WinISD and try different boxes. The manufacturer of my sub recommends about 1.7 ft^3 at 36Hz, I found that 2.4 ft^3 @ 32Hz gave a much better response curve according to WinISD, giving me a mostly flat response, with a bit of a hump at 32Hz-36Hz (which I wanted). The manufacturer recommended box looked like a mountain range on the response curve in comparison, good for bumping mainstream rap and hip hop (like many people do), but sacrificing SQ as a trade off.

If you're happy with the way it sounds, then keep it. If you're going to build your own box, model it up before you make a decision. A bit of experimenting with WinISD will get you a much better sounding box than their recommendations. Their sealed is probably a good recommendation, but if you go ported, model it up and find what works best for you.

Buck
01-08-2012, 01:32 PM
IDK man personally there is nothing that sounds more accurate than a precise sealed enclosure....flattest response possible usually.

It's because it's easy to sound decent.