PDA

View Full Version : Focal 33V1 Enclosure?

galacticmonkey
01-03-2012, 03:54 AM
Im going to be building a box for one of these soon. Everywhere I've read said to build it from like 1.5-1.7 cubic feet for a ported enclosure. The recommended specs also give this range. Seems very small for a 13" subwoofer.

It will be on 500w, so I'd imagine it should have plenty of power. So I'm curious if this really is the optimal airspace for this subwoofer? I've never played with a Focal subwoofer before. If I had to guess, I would have probably went with around 2.25-2.5 cubic feet for it. Or does it just sound better sealed? The person I'm building it for is pairing it with a set of Polyglass 165VR components, and doesn't care much about volume, just wants it to sound good.

Any advice from anyone with firsthand experience with these subwoofers?

Jroo
01-03-2012, 08:38 AM
The focal store near me runs these sealed. Dont know the box size but know they always tell you to run sealed. It sounds like the owner is much more worried about sq than loud so that would be my choice.

Moble Enclosurs
01-03-2012, 03:39 PM
If you have some specs on it, I can check to see what I come up with for compression....

murph
01-03-2012, 03:41 PM
I mean even though it is a 13 the drivers are quite small and designed to be in small boxes. They are efficent subs.