PDA

View Full Version : 4 inch pillar speakers.

kramer_212
12-31-2011, 08:52 PM
well in a couple of weeks im going to finally mold a center channel (pair) and do my pillars.

deciding if i want to do comps or coaxials, can't seem to find respectable 4 inch comps around. both the pillars and the center (4 speakers total) will have there own amp from all the door speakers, and don't plan on having them that loud. compared to the bigger door speakers.

was thinking this to match all my t2 comps that will be in the doors(if i have to go coaxail).
90% sure the amp will be a t400-4 or t400-2also.

Rockford Fosgate® - T142 (http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?item_id=112894&locale=en_US&p_status=)

also could be just mids to if there are respectable ones out there then i can just move some of the tweeters from the doors up into the center, and pillars.

sacsking916
12-31-2011, 08:57 PM
do some mids off of madisound or something of that sort

kramer_212
12-31-2011, 08:58 PM

im going to go take a look quick.

thanks. anymore?

kramer_212
12-31-2011, 09:01 PM

these might work, but for that price i might be better off just going with the fosgates.

kramer_212
12-31-2011, 09:06 PM
Markaudio CHP-70 Gen2 Black Paper: Madisound Speaker Store (http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-4-fullrange/markaudio-chp-70-gen2-black-paper/)

these look decent also maybe i should think about running a 4 and 3 inch i have the room for it.

Why So Cereal?
01-03-2012, 02:41 PM
TangBand Bamboo drivers on PE for nice 3 or 4 inchers.

Also Dayton RS series, i remember reading a review over on diyma that these stuck with and exceeded in performance drivers that costed way more!

Those would be my top choices.

kramer_212
01-03-2012, 02:51 PM
TangBand Bamboo drivers on PE for nice 3 or 4 inchers.

Also Dayton RS series, i remember reading a review over on diyma that these stuck with and exceeded in performance drivers that costed way more!

Those would be my top choices.

Ima go check out the daytons right meow.

trumpet
01-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Where do you have the T1TS(dumbest model number ever) and the tweeters from the T2 components mounted? If you're serious about complicating your front stage even more, you might be disappointed to find that placing more drivers up high is not a cakewalk. Reflections off the glass can be a real ***** to deal with, plus comb filtering gets out of hand as you add more and more drivers. This all adds up to a chaotic mess of sound. There's no need to do both a huge 4" mid and a 3" mid on your A-pillars. If you must have it then I doubt you can be talked out of it.

keep_hope_alive
01-05-2012, 02:13 PM
i think T1TS is a brilliant model number, as long as the phase plug is flat on the end :O

I have a set of the 4" Dayton RS full range. too big for apillars in my Accord. I'd have to cut away sections of the dash to get the desired airspace. the 3" version is awkward due to the size of the terminals, but the truncated version may fit better in the apillars. A full range woofer, on axis, will sound better than a coaxial or woofer/tweeter pair for the reasons described above. the highs will be subdued, but more natural. depends on what your goals are - accuracy or just loudness. making the apillars look good is a different effor than making them sound good. airspace is crucial for midrange performance and aiming is crucial for high frequency performance and control of reflections. i don't like coaxial speakers - mostly due to the use of cheap components with poor execution. and you have the woofer and tweeter overlapping in response - but not properly aligned.

there are many examples at DIYMA in this thread and good discussion as to the challenges and benefits.
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-sq-forum-technical-advanced/65061-improve-your-soundstage-$2.html

madisound and parts express have a huge selection of full range drivers perfect for an apillar appliation. Pearless, Vifa, Tymphany, Tang Band are all affordable options. Mark Audio has a very nice selection that i'd also like to try.