PDA

View Full Version : Focal Polyglass 165 vrs shallow mount EXPERIENCE?

musical_high
12-31-2011, 03:35 PM
I am interested in the Focal polyglass 165 vr comp set. Even thought the company site still lists the model it appears to be discontinued. However the 165 vrs shallow mount is supposed to be comparable. I have heard negative things about shallow mount subs.

Does anyone have a 165 VRS comp set that they like? I was drawn to the sensitivity of the vr's and the vrs's are a tad less.

There's a place in town that does focal but this town is small I doubt they'll have every component wired for demo.

Always grateful for your expertise. I don't know a lot about car audio. I did learn electronics repair and they intersect quite a bit.

mcarr69
01-02-2012, 06:26 PM
You can't go wrong with the Focal 165vrs shallow mounts. I wanted the vr model also but they wouldn't fit into my doors without cutting metal and/or using spacing adaptors. I was hesitant due to the cost but finally decided to open up my wallet. I'll rationalize the cost spread out over many years of listening enjoyment.

These are very efficient speakers and don't sound harsh to my ears as some people will complain about?

Please don't compare these to a shallow-mount sub. I have yet to hear a great sounding shallow sub as bass notes are all about cone mass, moving large amounts of air, and your box and install.

Some people may say the vrs lack something but I doubt if they've been listening to them every day for 4-6 hours for the last few months.

Enjoy your car audio adventure. IMO, the Focals are priceless!

musical_high
01-03-2012, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I will pull the trigger on these or some other incarnation of focal polyglass.