PDA

View Full Version : Port direction in sedan?

jolly_26
12-30-2011, 07:24 PM
Designing a new box at the moment (decided I would do it myself for the sake of experience etc), and the easiest option is to have the port facing the side of the boot. Would this make a huge difference to the sound/volume? Or is it better to have the port and subs facing the same direction?

Currently have plans for a 4cu ft enclosure, 50sq in. of port, with subs facing up and port facing sideways, would this work well in a sedan or should I change it?

jolly_26
12-30-2011, 11:17 PM
Anyone? Tried searching but to no avail

Jroo
12-31-2011, 07:54 AM
you may have to try and see how it sounds. Most sedans have woofers back or up and ports back or up. The best sedan I heard was woofers pointed back and the ports run through the rear deck. Like I said you may have to experiment to see what gives you the best sound in your car

Mr.sparkle
01-01-2012, 06:47 PM
good luck mate im in the same situation .cutting a 15" hole in my shelf and a 6" for the port .hope it works

plugger
01-01-2012, 07:11 PM
haha boot, shelf.... im also in the same situation guys. was thinking of rear firing my 15" sub, and doing two 6" ports through rear deck. my car is a early 90s mercury cougar, but then i was told that would mess up the sound waves, so now im wondering if i should point the port towards the rear or the side... would love it if someone could answer this for me so i dont have to just "try it and see how it sounds" i want to know the best possible solution to start with so i know what to build and if i build it right it will sound good. anyone with experience please help

jolly_26
01-01-2012, 09:21 PM
After much googling of things, it would seem that rear firing is the traditional setup and will usually yield the best results, but in some large boots (was done in a commodore and a falcon) firing the subs AND port to the side resulted in the highest spl when metered, but apparently you didn't "feel" the bass as much. I'll be facing it all to the back, and pulling out the rear tray speakers to let air flow through in my next setup.