PDA

View Full Version : Car sub to computer?

KTMrida4life
12-30-2011, 02:26 AM
Well Ive got a spare SA 8 D4 motor/basket laying around that I can recone.. may as well find a use for it if I dont sell it or keep it as a spare.

If I built a ported box for the 8, what would I need to make it work with a PC?

dumple
12-30-2011, 02:28 AM
a plate amp, other speakers, the first thing that came to mind

keep_hope_alive
12-30-2011, 02:51 PM
A plate amp for the sub and another amp for the speakers, unless you'd just use existing pc speakers.

You can get affordable plate amps from Parts Express and MCM Electronics

Tupolev
12-30-2011, 02:54 PM
If I remember correctly the BASH plate amps only go up to 1000.

You might need a PA amp.

myjaja
12-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Plate amps or you can find your self a power supply for cheap that you can run a car amp to.

Bass Addict
12-30-2011, 03:01 PM
i got a yamaha p3500s for christmas.its a pa amp.it will be hooked up to my yamaha 5.1 surround sound for subwoofer duty.in order to get an unbalaced signal(home audio gear) to pro gear signal.i have a rolls mb15b i will recieve in the mail tomorrow.this lil unit converts the typical -10db output from the consumer gear to +4db required to use pro gear to its potential. i have seen a guy on youtube using the pa amp like i have from his computer to a small dj mixer to the pa amp.he had a 15 in a custom built box and it seemed very loud

duanebro
01-05-2012, 12:20 AM
Well Ive got a spare SA 8 D4 motor/basket laying around that I can recone.. may as well find a use for it if I dont sell it or keep it as a spare.

If I built a ported box for the 8, what would I need to make it work with a PC?

A amp, several have been suggested, remember that a home doesn't need the spl that a car does. If you are gaming or watching movies then tune way lower than you would in a car. Try about 25hz.

GammaRadiation
01-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Plate amps or you can find your self a power supply for cheap that you can run a car amp to.

This sounds like a good idea in theory, but in reality you'll spend almost as much on a 12v power supply that can handle an amp as you would on a plate amp of similar power output. That is, you spend more in the long run. Since music is dynamic you can use a battery and a charger. I'd recommend a sealed battery and a ****** charger if you're going to go this route.

Beware, it's difficult to perfectly rectify 110/220 AC into 12-14v DC. Thus, there is a high chance of there being some noise you can not get rid of (without some mondo diodes which wouldn't be good for efficiency). This is why the highest end 12v supplies for test beds cost thousands of dollars.

In highschool I took 3 350w ATX power supplies, modified them to just output 12v, and wired them in parallel. It worked. Ran a 400w RMS amp pretty well. Cost me $50 for the amp and $0 for the supplies (were burnt out at 5 or 3.3v or from trash computers). However, there was a 60Hz buzz always, independent of gain or volume. :blackeye:

Kangaroux
01-05-2012, 01:36 PM
^ Is running PSU's in parallel in anyway harmful? Do you need diodes for each PSU?

GammaRadiation
01-05-2012, 04:51 PM
They didn't catch on fire and didn't harm the amp. Just some 60Hz noise. No diodes that weren't already in the PSU design. A diode pack that could handle that current would have been far too much for my highschool pockets and probably would have added too much resistance for the amp to turn on. I suppose if you wanted to spend $30-40 and had a bunch of PSU's laying around you could make a decent 12v supply with an external rectifier and probably drop the hum to a sub audible level.

GammaRadiation
01-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Oh and IIRC two of the PSU's were identical and one was a very similar (slightly older) model.

keep_hope_alive
01-06-2012, 02:14 AM
yea, trying to run car audio amps in a house is just pointless. a lot of hassle for no gain when compared to plate amps or pro audio amps. if plate amps aren't large enough - go with a pro audio amp.

aeroportspwn
01-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Yeah, Just get something like a Dayton Rackmount amp or a Crown XTI. I think that would be better vs using pc power supplies on a car audio amp. Your choice though.

KTMrida4life
01-08-2012, 07:30 PM
lol

Were you joking about just running a big car battery in my room? I laughed at first, but thats actually an option.. just depends how fast it will drain. I can get my hands on 135ah batteries pretty cheap..

duanebro
01-08-2012, 07:34 PM
lol

Were you joking about just running a big car battery in my room? I laughed at first, but thats actually an option.. just depends how fast it will drain. I can get my hands on 135ah batteries pretty cheap..

I have heard of it being done. I'd get a real amp for about the same price though.

-01limited-
01-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Dont use a battery and charger. Listen to them and get a plate amp. Its a sa 8 you wont need that much power for home use so scoop a low power one for cheap.

IonRL205
01-08-2012, 07:39 PM
Dont use a battery and charger. Listen to them and get a plate amp. Its a sa 8 you wont need that much power for home use so scoop a low power one for cheap.

Speak for yourself. I had 200 watts going to two Kicker CVR 15s and that wasn't enough for me...got pretty loud though.

duanebro
01-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Speak for yourself. I had 200 watts going to two Kicker CVR 15s and that wasn't enough for me...got pretty loud though.

Just goes to show you how crappy kickers are! :P Just joking.

What box did you have them in?

IonRL205
01-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Just goes to show you how crappy kickers are! :P Just joking.

What box did you have them in?

I ghetto rigged some home towers I had lol, some pro studio mach II speakers. I took out the bottom subs and put in kicker CVRs, they were probably in something like 8.5 cubes each lol...tuned to some high number. Was good til about 35 hz, then the bass started becoming non existant lol, but some notes I could hold say a receipt in my hand, and you would see it moving anywhere you would stand in the room, granted it wasn't much, but its only 200 watts lol.

Subs got stolen though, gonna replace all four with some Dcons and probably throw in some aeroports and tune it lower.

skylineTT
01-08-2012, 11:40 PM
I have successfully run PSU's in home for years. I run ED Nine.1's off of single power supplies. I have tried using the paralleled rail method but I dont think that most PSU's will actually work this way. If you do go this way (and it is cheaper to start off), get a single power supply that is rated at a higher output than the amp you are running. I run the ED Nine.1 on a 1000w PSU but keep the gain down or else it just shuts the PSU down (doesn't blow it). for an SA-8, run a 600w amp and get a dell n1000p-00 power supply from ebay for roughly 60 bucks. this is a 950w unit that can easily support a 600 watt amp. The only thing that ***** about this method is power consumption. It isn't super efficient because you are switching AC to DC, then the amp is switching DC to AC again. a lot of conversion usually means low efficiency so it will run the electric bill up a tiny bit if you use it a lot (if your parents pay the bills, you might not find this to be a problem at all).

A better option though, is to simply run a decent reciever to a pair of bookshelf speakers, then a plate amp for the sub (getting its signal from the reciever). This is more efficient and less of a wiring nightmare. It WILL cost you more money to start though if you dont already have a reciever/plate amp and want to buy it new. you can find recievers on craigslist that will work fine though for very cheap but the plate amp usually isnt as easy to find on craigs so most likely, you'll have to pick it up online and they are generally around 300 bucks. if you have any questions about wiring anything up, hit me up.

Lastly, your voicecoil config is important because plate amps will run at a 4ohm load while most monoblocks are 2 or 1ohm stable. if you get a dual 2ohm recone, you can wire to 4ohms for a plate and 1ohm for monoblocks that are 1ohm stable. or wire it to 4ohms and run it on a 2ch amp bridged (most cost effective).