PDA

View Full Version : Best material to wrap box in???

silveradokid
12-28-2011, 04:13 AM
Just finished building my box, it's all glued up. I was looking online and some of the audio carpet is expensive, sonic electronixs sells a 15'x40" roll for $35. I doubt I will need that much carpet so I'm curious if anyone has any idea where I can find some carpet locally? I know I could go to a shop close buy, but I only know of two and one of them the people are not nice nor helpful, and the other the people are extremely nice but $$$$ (tried to charge me $15 for 2 ANL fuses). So is there a place I can find some fabric that will do the job and look nice? I know parts express has some, is it good quality?? How much should I buy?
Here's what the box looks like, its I think 52" long and some 14" tall.
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee460/silveradoman1/IMG_0155.jpg
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee460/silveradoman1/IMG_0262.jpg
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee460/silveradoman1/IMG_0267.jpg

kramer_212
12-28-2011, 04:16 AM
just go to your local autoparts store, and pick up some carpet.

audiobaun
12-28-2011, 04:20 AM
I have bought some vinyl type of material at Walmart within the Fabric/Arts n Crafts section by the yard, as well, or you may find something more appealing from the local Home Depot/Lowes Flooring section as well?

pro-rabbit
12-28-2011, 04:41 AM
I like to wrap them in matching vinyl myself. Seems to give a more custom yet factory look. You can really cover it in just about anything you want really. Just aesthetics, so it is all up to personal preferences.

Imtjnotu
12-28-2011, 04:50 AM
Only real carpet I use is the black stuff from home depot

disturbed471985
12-28-2011, 04:51 AM
I never did like carpet or vinyl I have always used bed liner on my boxes...

pro-rabbit
12-28-2011, 04:55 AM
I never did like carpet or vinyl I have always used bed liner on my boxes...

Bed liner is ok if you do not know how to wrap an enclosure. Other then that it seems "tacky" to me.

I can see it if the application would call for it and it matches other things in the application. Other then that, not for me. lol

disturbed471985
12-28-2011, 04:58 AM
well maybe its cause I cant wrap LOL... Just makes the box feel much more rugged guess its just my taste. Vinyl looks nice if done right but carpet boxes all just look cheap maybe cause its the cheap carpet I have seen people use IDK. Whatever floats ur boat.

pro-rabbit
12-28-2011, 05:00 AM
well maybe its cause I cant wrap LOL... Just makes the box feel much more rugged guess its just my taste. Vinyl looks nice if done right but carpet boxes all just look cheap maybe cause its the cheap carpet I have seen people use IDK. Whatever floats ur boat.

I agree, carpet can look very cheap if not done well or if poor quality carpet is used. Vinyl is the same same as well.

I was never the 4x4 rugged kind of person though haha.

disturbed471985
12-28-2011, 05:06 AM
^^ I have never been hunting, or off roading in my life. Far from an outdoors man I guess my options were to spray it of leave it bare so I just stuck with spraying...

pro-rabbit
12-28-2011, 05:09 AM
^^ I have never been hunting, or off roading in my life. Far from an outdoors man I guess my options were to spray it of leave it bare so I just stuck with spraying...

Ah...

I have been working on a "how to" for carpet and vinyl wrapping for a while now. I keep changing things trying to make it easier to follow/understand.

I think I told RAM I would have this done like 6 months ago..haha still not done yet... :crap:

dbeez
12-28-2011, 05:54 AM
You told me you would have it done seems like forever ago.

gpgtp
12-28-2011, 08:43 AM
I work at an upholstery shop, so im lucky in that area, I always do matching vinyl or leather.

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

Box looks nice BTW!

05fronty
12-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Products (http://www.rushinupholsterysupply.com/index.php/products) i get my stuff here. use that trunk carpet.like 10 bucks a yard

kushy_dreams
12-28-2011, 10:58 AM
I used to get the black stuff from walmart, its about 9 bucks a roll but with a bigger box you might need 2 rolls. I don't like carpeting because it shoots up the cost an extra $20-30. 3m spray adhesive is like $10 a can and that will work on about a 4-5cu/ft box. Carpeting will also make you loose anywhere from a few tenths of a db to multiple db's depending on the install.

I think from now on I will just spray paint my boxes. I use the cheap dollar cans at home depot for primer then sand it down real smooth and shoot it with Rustoleum Hammered Finish universal spray paint, about $8 a can at Home Depot. This method is about half the cost of carpet. I just like to keep costs down because I buy speakers, build boxes for them and resell them.

pro-rabbit
12-28-2011, 12:32 PM
You told me you would have it done seems like forever ago.

I know. :crap:

I'm still working on it, just seems I never like several different things I see when I go to edit it so I have to do it again.

silveradokid
12-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Well I'm not going to spray my box, thought about it and I just think it would match a lot better with carpet or vinyl. I need some gray carpet to match the interior. I thought there was a special kind of carpet used for speaker boxes because of the the audio qualities of the carpet. Wouldn't vinyl be hard to wrap my box in? It's not exactly a square box, and I feel like vinyl would show every little imperfection.

pro-rabbit
12-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Well I'm not going to spray my box, thought about it and I just think it would match a lot better with carpet or vinyl. I need some gray carpet to match the interior. I thought there was a special kind of carpet used for speaker boxes because of the the audio qualities of the carpet. Wouldn't vinyl be hard to wrap my box in? It's not exactly a square box, and I feel like vinyl would show every little imperfection.

If you are worried about imperfections then carpet is the way to go. It will cover up small issues you may have cosmetically with your enclosure. There are a wide array of carpets and types that will work. Most of it depends on your level of skill for wrapping them.

Hit up an auto upholstery shop and just have them get you some matching carpet that will work. Best and easiest way to get it done with out guessing.

CADENCE SOUND
12-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Search: 3m DiNoc wrap
Very durable, easy to use and long lasting

Check out how it formed over these complex curves..
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/2741/di3d.jpg

Falcons
12-28-2011, 01:10 PM
get some scrap peices of wood and practice with it before doing your box. that way you can get good and not have to waste time doing a new box because the cosmetics dont look good.

pro-rabbit
12-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Search: 3m DiNoc wrap
Very durable, easy to use and long lasting

Check out how it formed over these complex curves..
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/2741/di3d.jpg

I have used this stuff before. Works great, but you better have 0 imperfections lol.

silveradokid
12-28-2011, 09:22 PM
When looking at fabric what should I look for?

accuab
12-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Trunk carpet is a good cheap kind to use and you can normally get it for like 10 bucks a roll. It's a low-ply so it won't get all fuzzy on you.

audiobaun
12-28-2011, 10:47 PM
I also have and still use/spray clearcoat over the box, then use the 2 step Flex stone paint, and its rugged, and seals water tight, and looks pretty good when completed, just be sure that where the sub outlets are, to tape those up, or you will be sanding those down smooth again.But once dried, looks good, and last, takes a pretty good beating too.:D

tc300
12-28-2011, 11:01 PM
Nice work op!! I would paint it... Just me tho

mylows10
12-28-2011, 11:03 PM
i like to bondo the screw holes ,then resin the outside of the box and paint.looks SWEET !!!!

Relent
12-28-2011, 11:12 PM
I buy my vinyl at the local fabric store. Jo-Anns by me is what it is. And they have 1/2 off coupons alot I get being on their mailing list.

cyn
12-28-2011, 11:36 PM
anyone use that shrink wrap vinyl stuff? that you wrap around what ever then heat it up and it forms to whatever its wrapped in? might not be vinyl... but i think thats what it was ??

silveradokid
12-29-2011, 04:16 AM
Well I think I want carpet because the inside of my cab is carpet, I also think carpet is more forgiving as in it won't show as many imperfections with the wrapping job. Painting it is an easy way to go but again, I just don't think it will really match with the rest of the interior.

silveradokid
12-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Can I carpet my box in felt? I found some at Joann's fabric store that has the color I want, is it okay to wrap a box in felt, will it work? I was checking out some pre-fabbed boxes and the material felt like the same material.