PDA

View Full Version : JL C5 3way ?

chipgibbs
12-27-2011, 09:49 PM
I need a set of 3-way component speakers for my front stage:

JL Audio C5 3 way components for $400, Good deal or should I look for something else? I wasn't able to find any reviews on this component set.

I was looking at the DLS Reference 3 way set for $329.

What other options are there in a 3-way set in this price range?

I could stretch to $500 but that's my limit

Thanks for any help

kramer_212
12-27-2011, 09:55 PM
im also interested in some 3 way sets in for the info, any respectable ones that can be found for around $200?

zako
12-28-2011, 04:17 AM
im also interested in some 3 way sets in for the info, any respectable ones that can be found for around $200?

With this budget, definitely stick with 2-ways..

zako
12-28-2011, 04:23 AM
I need a set of 3-way component speakers for my front stage:

JL Audio C5 3 way components for $400, Good deal or should I look for something else? I wasn't able to find any reviews on this component set.

The C5 2-ways can be bought for $300 only when some kind of sale going on.. so I assume $400 is a fair price for the 3-way set considering that you get a pair of midrange drivers and more exotic crossovers for only $100 more. The C5 2-ways are considered to be very good speakers for the money. I was thinking of buying them until something else came up. I have no idea about 3-ways.

murph
12-28-2011, 04:57 AM
look into focal and also for a 3 way system it has to be ran active make sure your head unit can do so

zako
12-28-2011, 06:08 AM
I agree about active. For a 3-way system to perform to its full potential, you have to run it active, which means buying some kind of advanced sound processor. In addition to that, you have to either have the knowledge and experience to match the levels of drivers, time align, and equalize OR you need to buy a self tuning sound processor like JBL MS-8. Otherwise, the improvement over a well tuned 2-way speaker system can be dubious if any. Of course, some people would say.. screw all of this SQ stuff.. all I want is to be able to use the massive sized midbass driver... well the C5 and many others sets I have seen come with midbass driver that's the same as they use in 2-way setups..