PDA

View Full Version : having some electrical issues

MetalHead888
12-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Ok so this morning I drive my car to the gas station which is a few blocks from my house. After getting gas my car wont start up and it seems like the battery is dead. The guy gives me a jump start and I head to work.....on the way my headunit keeps turning on and off and doesn't play music while its on. When I got to work which is only about 15the mins away the indicator on the battery said its at a full charge.

The car is a 2008 Honda fit and ive never had any problems until now. I would normally think the battery is dieing but the car isn't that old and the head unit is acting up.... what do u guys think?

I didn't have anytime to look at it because I had to get to work. Thanks for the help.

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

Oh and its an eclipse head unit btw

tylork92
12-26-2011, 11:49 AM
i would say alternator but youbattery is saying full charge....

CAT MAN
12-26-2011, 12:10 PM
well sounds like a loose wire to me

assassin1840
12-26-2011, 12:19 PM
sounds like alt to me

CAT MAN
12-26-2011, 12:20 PM
and wtf is up with the wrong sections lately :(

MetalHead888
12-26-2011, 12:23 PM
I im thinking its a loose wire of some sort also. I agree with tylork also for that same reason.... something tells me this is going to turn into a real pain in the ***. I just don't understand why my headunit is doing that after I jumped it.

MetalHead888
12-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Alt is ok because it charged the battery on the way to work. I had a second to leave work and check on the car and here's what I got.
Car starts and everything seems ok except the radio.
Fuse to radio seems ok
Amp turns on and off with the headunit.
Taking out the inline fuse to the amp doesn't change anything
Headunit emitted no sound while on
Headunit keeps the time
Battery terminals seem to be secure
Battery is still at a full charge while sitting for 5 hours.

My diagnosis is that there's some sort of wiring short or issue with the headunit or fuse line. Opinions?

Fi_
12-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Alt is ok because it charged the battery on the way to work. I had a second to leave work and check on the car and here's what I got.
Car starts and everything seems ok except the radio.
Fuse to radio seems ok
Amp turns on and off with the headunit.
Taking out the inline fuse to the amp doesn't change anything
Headunit emitted no sound while on
Headunit keeps the time
Battery terminals seem to be secure
Battery is still at a full charge while sitting for 5 hours.

My diagnosis is that there's some sort of wiring short or issue with the headunit or fuse line. Opinions?

Just check those things you listed haha only way to be sure process of examination.

MetalHead888
12-26-2011, 06:43 PM
heres an update. alternator and battery was tested. the alternator is fine and the battery is reading that it is bad. can anyone explain to me why my radio would turn on and off while running because of a bad battery? because i do not understand it. heres what the test on the battery test reads. http://i42.tinypic.com/2yyqk8w.jpg

audiobaun
12-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Who really knows what electricity really does in any real situation, other than what we have experienced?Change your battery as recommended, and check the ground wire for the radio, and even run and extra ground wire direct from the back of the HU, and ground it.Never hurts to ground one unit in two different locations?A bad battery can create several electrical issues.It is possible that the ground wire for the HU is not solid.

MetalHead888
12-27-2011, 01:32 AM
Thank you. Im getting the battery tomorrow I hope. 3 places today didn't have one...the thing about the head unit is im trying to avoid it because last time taking it out became a nightmare.

audiobaun
12-27-2011, 02:04 AM
LOL! Hu can be difficult at times..but that Eclipse HU is prob a darn good one.I have a CD3000, and having a hard time wanting to take it out.Try Orileys yet??They have some good ones too, and good warranty also,and just as good if not better than the redtops today.I got one for the Honda, and it has mor CCA than the redtops, and approx $120 cheaper, w a 7yr warranty i believe..Just a suggestion,and hope all ends well:D

MetalHead888
12-27-2011, 09:13 AM
LOL! Hu can be difficult at times..but that Eclipse HU is prob a darn good one.I have a CD3000, and having a hard time wanting to take it out.Try Orileys yet??They have some good ones too, and good warranty also,and just as good if not better than the redtops today.I got one for the Honda, and it has mor CCA than the redtops, and approx $120 cheaper, w a 7yr warranty i believe..Just a suggestion,and hope all ends well:D

Thank you. Ill look into it. I love the eclipse hu. Maybe the hu just died. Today after work im gonna get the battery and well see what happens.

Taking out the stock radio was a nightmare. I had to take the glove box out to disconnect the controls for the ac and all that stuff... then the plastic clips that hold the stock unit in went into god mode and didn't want to let go. I pulled so hard I bent the frame that the stock unit was on and wedged it in.... son had to rip apart the entire dash just to get it out. I finally got this thing in and I was really hoping id never have to pull it out again. I've done many had unit installs before and I've never seen anything more poorly designed.

jirehn
12-27-2011, 09:23 AM
That is an alternator problem, But try to check your battery again try to use other battery.

MetalHead888
12-27-2011, 10:12 AM
That is an alternator problem, But try to check your battery again try to use other battery.

alternator has been tested and its good. also i have no other issues. no dimming of any sort or any other electrical issues.

MetalHead888
12-27-2011, 07:00 PM
got a new battery. got yellow top d51r. problem as i figured it will still exists. time to rip the head unit out..... at least i got a nice new battery i know i needed one anyways.

audiobaun
12-27-2011, 09:03 PM
:crap:

MetalHead888
12-27-2011, 11:34 PM
today i bought a yellow top battery and installed it. with my nice new battery the problem with the head unit still exists. with alternator and battery completely ruled out, its safe to say its the headunit itself or some sort of wiring to the unit. wish me luck at finding this....

MetalHead888
12-30-2011, 08:14 AM
Idk if anyone is following this still but here's what happened. The car died because my battery was on the way out. When I jump started the car the radio must have been very happy with it because its definitely the head unit itself that is broken. I didn't realize this but apparently eclipse is out of business? I was really looking forward to getting another. Mine was the best single din head unit eclipse had to offer and I loved that thing.

disturbed471985
12-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Contact united radio they are the authorized repair center for eclipse.

MetalHead888
12-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Contact united radio they are the authorized repair center for eclipse.

thank you so much. i wasnt having any luck finding a repair center. i was told by one of the audio shops near me that since its a good head unit, it would be worth repairing if i could find a authorized company. he could have very easily made a quick buck because i went there to buy a new one. i really appreciate the help.