PDA

View Full Version : Bi Wiring?

Tom2000GMG
12-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Im getting the Boston Acoustics SR 50 component set and the description says that they can be bi wired, can someone tell me what exactly that means?

bigblacksnake
12-22-2011, 03:07 PM
separate midbass, and tweeter amp on the crossover.

Tom2000GMG
12-22-2011, 07:26 PM
what are the benefits and do i need 4 channels instead of 2

Nut Hair Trick
12-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Yes, you either need a 4 channel amp, or 2x 2channels. The benefits are that you can adjust the gains for the mids or tweeters separately.It also allows for more headroom. I will be doing this very soon with 2x 2channel amps

Tom2000GMG
12-22-2011, 09:57 PM
sorry im a freakin newbie at this whats headroom and i also have a question about the high pass filter on my amp i have a rockford fogate t400 4 and the sr 50s comin in the mail but anyways how do i use the high pass filter

duanebro
12-22-2011, 09:58 PM
you can use a smaller amp on the tweeter also. That can save some $.

audiobaun
12-22-2011, 11:42 PM
You can run that amp in stereo mode along with a mono load..2ch at stereo, and 2ch bridged at a mono/bridged mode, thus making it a 3ch amp/Bi amp

Why So Cereal?
12-23-2011, 10:01 AM
sorry im a freakin newbie at this whats headroom and i also have a question about the high pass filter on my amp i have a rockford fogate t400 4 and the sr 50s comin in the mail but anyways how do i use the high pass filter

when ppl say headroom, they usually mean having more power than you actually need, thus reducing distortion.
as far as the high pass filter, it dictates how low your comps will play i.e. how much bass/midbass you want them to reproduce. setting it depends on your listening preference. for example, if i never really crank my system, I can run a lower xover point (50-80hz) because the mids still wont be working all that hard; if you like it loud, youre generally gonna want a higher crossover point (100-125hz) to keep the mids from over extending when you crank it up.

BnGRacing
12-24-2011, 12:20 PM
You do not need 4 channels to "bi-wire", you need 4 channels to "bi-amp".

The benefits to biwiring a component set, in theory at least, is really so the tweeter does not get starved of current from the woofer. You'd use 2 runs of speaker wire from the same amp channel for each tweet/mid set. I've noticed a slight difference but will openly admit it could all be in my head. Very hard to A-B test this quickly to get a definite answer.

Bi-amping your speakers means each speaker has its own channel or amplifier. You see this done with 'active' systems and gives the user a little more control if the right processors are used (the amp's crossover & EQ section are NOT adequate).

zako
12-25-2011, 03:08 AM
Yes, you either need a 4 channel amp, or 2x 2channels. The benefits are that you can adjust the gains for the mids or tweeters separately.

Also, you can adjust time correction for the tweeter and woofer separately from each other.

Gary S
01-18-2012, 11:20 AM
I recommend biwiring if your passive crossover has the separate tweeter and woofer inputs that allow you to do it. An extra pair of speaker wires is cheap.