PDA

View Full Version : Subs back, ported thru rear deck?

SQ Monte
12-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Would this be a good idea in a trunk car to do a regular ported box with the subs firing back and have some aeros coming up through the rear deck?

Why So Cereal?
12-21-2011, 10:07 AM
been wondering about this too

SQ Monte
12-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Apparently this isnt a good idea....gonna see if a 4th order is doable.....more boom, less rattle, yeah im down with that!

SQ Monte
12-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Apparently this isnt a good idea....gonna see if a 4th order is doable.....more boom, less rattle, yeah im down with that!

duanebro
12-21-2011, 05:25 PM
If you ran the aeros into the car - wouldn't that be a badly tuned bp? With the trunk as the sealed section.

SQ Monte
12-21-2011, 09:55 PM
If you ran the aeros into the car - wouldn't that be a badly tuned bp? With the trunk as the sealed section.I guess technically it could be considered that, didn't think about that, haha. That being said, instead of shooting for the bootleg bandpass like that i'm gonna aim for a 4th order bandpass box with dual aeros ported into the cabin. Not sure if that's something I'll be able to slide into the trunk though, gotta get with a designer and come up with a plan. If that doesn't work out I'll just fire the subs and port into the cabin and seal the box off from the trunk.

Moble Enclosurs
12-22-2011, 12:16 AM
Yea, as far as utilizing it in the original said fashion, this will act like a leaky 4th order if the trunk is not completely sealed. But even then, you will need to make sure that the area in tbe trunk is at a proper compression for the subs if using a br as a blowthrough. You would get nearly the same output as a 4th order with major differences such as excursion control, phase, and response range. So, if you are going to bt the port, best to do the 4th or 6th idea. It will be more efficient with less work and better control.

Moble Enclosurs
12-22-2011, 12:17 AM
Though, if you have a lot of deck area, you could tap the port as well for a smoother response curve if you have the room. Other options are available than a bp with similar output.

SQ Monte
12-22-2011, 12:32 AM
Thanks ME, I just finished completing the form to get a quote from you so you should getting the email shortly. Can't wait to get this figured out so I can start the build!

Moble Enclosurs
12-22-2011, 12:41 AM
Oh ok. :D you are very welcome and I just got the email and I will be looking at it shortly. Talk to you soon!

duanebro
12-22-2011, 01:37 AM
I'd like to know what ME comes up with. I looked at different types of boxes, and found that 4th order bp is very close in fr as sealed. It can get a bit louder, but imho it is not enough to mess with. 6th order does look good. And has more spl above 35hz than a ported box. (this all depends on the designs of said boxes of course) I can't model a tapped horn, they do "look" great though.

Moble Enclosurs
12-22-2011, 02:13 AM
I can post the idea up here if you remind me. As far as a sealed design, that will be modeled also. But it has to be mentioned that putting a sealed design in the trunk will still act as a lossed 4th order, but if you mean IB setup, then that will work great as long as the trunk is sealed properly, and the subs enjoy a large compression volume with leniency towards excursion control. I can't verify response curve comparisons until some things are calculated first, but I can post results if you guys like.

bigblacksnake
12-22-2011, 02:15 AM
been wondering about this too

somebody posted a link with the alpine camaro that had this yesterday.

SQ Monte
12-22-2011, 02:50 AM
Oh ok. :D you are very welcome and I just got the email and I will be looking at it shortly. Talk to you soon!I'm so juiced, can't wait to get this build started!

I'd like to know what ME comes up with. I looked at different types of boxes, and found that 4th order bp is very close in fr as sealed. It can get a bit louder, but imho it is not enough to mess with. 6th order does look good. And has more spl above 35hz than a ported box. (this all depends on the designs of said boxes of course) I can't model a tapped horn, they do "look" great though.It's sounding more and more like i'm gonna have to just settle for firing the subs forward and sealing off the trunk, and porting up through the rear deck. I'm so down for that! Less rattles too. I just don't want to take up my whole trunk with a box cause my last box had my car sagging and it was 3/4" mdf, 35x16x22 with the same subs. I hope ME can work some magic here and come up with a sweet design for me.

somebody posted a link with the alpine camaro that had this yesterday.Subs back ported into the cabin?

kramer_212
12-22-2011, 02:52 AM
somebody posted a link with the alpine camaro that had this yesterday.

it was me heres a link if anybody is interested, you have to go through the build log to see the box itself.

or click on the pictures at the bottom and go throught them

Top CES Cars - Alpine Camaro - Show Cars - Car Audio and Electronics (http://caraudiomag.com/articles/top-ces-cars-alpine-camaro)

SQ Monte
12-22-2011, 02:59 AM
Looks like a 4th order bp to me