PDA

View Full Version : Inline Crossover

srb
12-18-2011, 11:18 AM
I currently have the 6.5 Alpine type-S component speakers as my front stage. It uses an inline crossover instead of the regular external crossovers you usually see. I was wondering, would using different crossovers help improve the sound?

srb
12-18-2011, 03:32 PM
No one?

CAT MAN
12-18-2011, 03:41 PM
its only been 4 hours since you posted. and threads get burried fast here. someone will get to ya soon. lol.. hello my name is tony

anyway i personally do not see any difference in external crossovers unless they are active crossovers.

srb
12-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Ok thank you for the reply.

Why So Cereal?
12-20-2011, 05:42 PM
nope, only thing that could possibly make a diff in respect to the xover is changing the xover point/slope. simply changing the type wont make an audible difference.

zako
12-21-2011, 01:57 PM
I currently have the 6.5 Alpine type-S component speakers as my front stage. It uses an inline crossover instead of the regular external crossovers you usually see. I was wondering, would using different crossovers help improve the sound?

It's a cheap speaker coupled with a cheap crossover design. There is only so much you can get out of them even with a better crossover. I don't see why switching to a different crossover box should make them necessarily better. Each component speaker pair requires crossovers with certain crossover frequencies, L-pads, etc. I don't think picking up a random crossover box will necessarily match the speakers you have. This is why a lot of people prefer using active (electronic) crossovers.