PDA

View Full Version : Big enough box for 2 SA 8" or 2 SA 10" subs?

Pearson
12-16-2011, 01:01 AM
I'm having some difficulties on figuring out the dimensions for a box and if they'll work for the subs i'm wanting to put in. I have searched and haven't found an answer to my question but maybe i missed something or didn't search the right words. Sorry if this has been covered before.

Here's my dilemma: I want enough airspace for 2 8" subs to play to their full potential.

Dimensions as i've "roughly" measured so they may not be exactly right but they're close. 50"Wx10Hx7"D1x4"D2. It comes out looking like a weird triangle/wedge box. Using these dimensions on the rf woofer box design, it comes out to .95 cubic ft. I can squeeze in 2"W and 1/2"H and that'd put it at 1.05 cubic feet. I think that'd be better but not too sure yet. I'm looking to port the box as well but idk the dimensions for the port so that's not helping. I would only use 3/4 MDF.

Rockford Fosgate® - Woofer BoxWizard (http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/box_wizard.asp)

The subs i want are: SA-8" Subwoofer (http://www.sundownaudio.com/index.php/products/item/sa-8-subwoofer.html), SA-10" Subwoofer (http://www.sundownaudio.com/index.php/products/item/sa-10-subwoofer.html)

I would like 2 10's instead but mounting depth and airspace are another issue and if they'll fit, i'll get 10's otherwise i'll be happy with the 2 8's.

So, if anyone would like to help with port dimensions that would be greatly appreciated and going above and beyond that, answering if the subs 2 8's or 2 10's would fit and function properly due to mounting depth and available airspace.

I know my username is for a mustang but I sold it and bought a 2002 nissan frontier crew cab so that's where i'm getting the dimensions from. The box will be behind the rear seats.

Thanks

audiobaun
12-16-2011, 01:10 AM
Get the tens man..I mean hell, look at the people squeezing a 15 in a hatch??No real airspace for that, but they do it all the time on here.Do the tens...squeeze them in there:D

Pearson
12-16-2011, 01:15 AM
I would love too but with what limited amount of room I have i'd rather have 8's that function great than 10's in a box way too small for them. I like quality work/products and i've always thought wiring/box were the most important parts of car audio. However, if 10's will fit then i'm getting 10's. lol If 10's don't fit then i'll do 2 possibly 3 8's and be happy.

esmokah
12-16-2011, 01:29 AM
by the time you subtract the port volume and woofer displacement i'd say you only have room for one 8/10. don't hold me to it tho. I think 2 sa-8s would play better in that box if it were sealed. The volume just isn't there

I use a program called 'Speaker Box Tuning Calculator'. Check it out!

Pearson
12-16-2011, 12:03 PM
So 2 8's in a sealed enclosure would play better? I've only had ported boxes and i like them but sealed would be easier to make as long as I'm not losing anything.

You have any idea what size the port would need to be and if I could fit 2 8's with a ported box?

Vossy
12-16-2011, 12:13 PM
So 2 8's in a sealed enclosure would play better? I've only had ported boxes and i like them but sealed would be easier to make as long as I'm not losing anything.

You have any idea what size the port would need to be and if I could fit 2 8's with a ported box?

It mostly goes by the box size.. rule of thumb is around 12 sq inches per cube.

edit: Actually, I think an Aero would better suit you.

Pearson
12-16-2011, 12:39 PM
What size aero port? I know sealed would be easier but i'm a fan of ported so i'll go with that if I could. I guess i'm asking too much but if I could find out how big the port would have to be and if 2 8" subs would have enough mounting depth and airspace to play the way they're supposed to while still being ported that'd be great.

I don't know how to figure out dimensions for the port using box diagrams and calculators so i'm screwed. Thanks for the help so far though.

Vossy
12-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Products Menu (http://www.psp-inc.com/tools.html)

There ya go :D- this calc is for precision ports.

Pearson
12-16-2011, 01:33 PM
I guess i'm retarded. I don't understand.

Volume- 1.05ft^3
Freq- 34
Port Diameter- idk what would be best
Number of ports- 1 or 2

I don't get the straight length port required part. I'm more of a visual learner but i'm tryin to imagin how it'll look in my head and it's not working. lol

Pearson
12-17-2011, 12:52 AM
So I realized that only one 8" will work and i'm wanting to go ported so my question is will these dimensions work? I'm still trying to figure out the port calculations but I'm just hoping I'm on the right track. Trying to tune to 32hz.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/97redmustang/ScreenShot2011-12-16at104819PM.png

If you can't read it, port is 2"Wx1"Hx4 1/8"D. Any help would be appreciated.

KTMrida4life
12-18-2011, 10:18 PM
I cant read any of your dimensions, and I cant help you anyway cause Im a noob at this stuff.. but in Google Sketchup (at least on windows) you can go to file, export - jpg and save it that way then upload it. Works better.

RAM_Designs
12-19-2011, 01:11 AM
Your port is way too small. You can get a 3" aeroport(check partsexpress.com) and get some 3" thin wall PVC to extend the port to 21" long. That'll give you .75ft^3 with a 34hz tuning.