PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas for HT subwoofer amplification (plate or rack)

skylineTT
12-11-2011, 06:43 PM
I am trying to make a Christmas list for the family and I am hard to shop for generally because I have most of what I need and only want electronics. I have been looking around PE and some other sites, trying to get a good idea of what to ask for as far as subwoofer amplification.

I've been using PC power supplies on car audio amps for a while but now looking to just get a nice 1000watt plate or rack style amp for sub amplification. The only 1kW plate I have seen is the dayton SPA1000 on PE, which people seem to have some problems with. I don't know of the brands that are out there for HT equipment and dont know which rack amps or plate amps are good and fairly priced. the dayton spa1000 is 330 on PE and i was looking to have somethign similarly priced. it supposedly does its power at 4ohms but a dude's review said that it is realistically around 650. I will probably find a reciever to power all of the tower/bookshelf stuff but what should I do for the sub?

Thanks

keep_hope_alive
12-11-2011, 09:37 PM
i see nothing wrong with that Dayton amp - but i think a Crown XTi-1000 amp would be superior for almost the same price. lots of digital processing included.

Crown XTi 1000 Power Amplifier: Shop Pro Audio & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/crown-xti-1000-power-amplifier/481588000000000?src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0)

these amps are awesome. we specify them in commercial/stadium installations.

wenn_du_weinst
12-11-2011, 09:40 PM
I love those crown amplifiers. I think most of the reason you hear about dayton audio's problems are from the massive quantity's sold. PE always takes care of the warranty work for them as well. I wouldn't be to scared to run either the dayton or crown.

skylineTT
12-11-2011, 11:43 PM
cool, i just put both of them on there. lol I like the crown. seems sleek enough and it can easily power some of the stuff i have.

keep_hope_alive
12-11-2011, 11:48 PM
The crown is also flexible in that it can be used for **** near anything. A turn on trigger is something you would have to verify with your existing equipment.

skylineTT
12-12-2011, 12:08 AM
I see that it can power a full range of frequencies. It has filters that would enable me to keep it solely for sub-bass right?

keep_hope_alive
12-12-2011, 12:11 AM
Oh yes, and fully adjustable crossover.

Check out the manual.

skylineTT
12-12-2011, 12:19 AM
sweet, hopefully i can pick something like this up. I need something that can power my triple slug madmaxx hybrid in the house for a little. lol

duanebro
12-12-2011, 04:57 PM
You can check out the inuke3000dsp to if you want. It is like the crown xls. It is $399

BEHRINGER: NU3000DSP (http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/NU3000DSP.aspx)

They have a 1000 watt model also. ($299)

keep_hope_alive
12-12-2011, 07:34 PM
I don't like Behringer build quality. Poor power supply designs and cheap DAC's - adds hiss to the audio signal.

dBX Driverack PA+ is a nice line of loudspeaker management hardware. Note that Crown and dBX are owned by Harmon (JBL)