PDA

View Full Version : Location of box

Qexler
12-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Hey guys!
I have been noticing that when my system hits it almost seems like the Bass gets lost
somewhere in or outside of the car and not inside the cab... I currently have the box firing
towards the trunk, approx 5" from the wall...
It is a single 10" Audioque HDC3.0 and the box is 1.6ft^3 tuned to 35hz
I am thinking that my car is weird and sends the sound waves improperly...
I drive a 2006 Cobalt SS (4 door)
Do any of you guys have any ideas on what might help this issue?
Thanks guys!

Qexler
12-10-2011, 12:18 AM
Aiming your subwoofer box (http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/aiming.htm)

I read this article on aiming your subwoofer and how out of phase waves can
impact the amount of bass dramatically and cancel each other out bad... However I was always
told to make sure the box and port was located ports width in distance from the wall?
In my case 2 inches or close to that from my trunk wall?
But the article says the box was tested 3 feet from the back wall and got best results
and many other places I read it says placement should be sub and port facing rear as close to the back
seats as possible? has anyone studied this beyond just an article?

Phoenix Risen
12-10-2011, 12:40 AM
well it sounds like there is only one thing to do.

that would be to move the box into as many different positions as possible and see which one is louder to the ear.

macsdad
12-10-2011, 12:43 AM
i had two re audio se10d4s in the trunk of a 2001 dodge stratus in a sealed box and they were much better as close to the rear of the trunk as possible, a very noticable difference.

Qexler
12-10-2011, 12:48 AM
Yeah it confuses me... My sub is in its optimal enclosure and is seeing 1500RMS but the bass seems to vanish as if it were flying out my
front window after I get past like 6-7 volume... (20 max)

Phoenix Risen
12-10-2011, 12:52 AM
we have built a couple trunk cars. one being a G5 coupe,

iirc the best results we got out of that was with the box up against the back seats. but i could be wrong.

the only way to really know is to play around with it in your own car.

and you also get the satisfaction of figuring it out yourself instead of having it spoon fed to you.

Qexler
12-10-2011, 12:58 AM
I was going to try it myself of course, I just wanted to hear other peoples experiences and with what positions... afterall it is a pain
to rotate a hd in a double baffled box when you only weight 120lbs yourself =p

Phoenix Risen
12-10-2011, 01:02 AM
i know that feeling. i was running a ss xxx 15 last year, and im having that motor built into a 12 for this season, so im no stranger to heavy subs and boxes...

although i do have a bit more to put behind it...

Qexler
12-10-2011, 01:07 AM
I can move it... but If I tried 10 positions I would be wore out haha... you say in a Pontiac G5
You had best sound from it being right against the seats? That is extremely helpful information
considering pontiac stole the body of a Cobalt in there g5, g6 model cars... So it should compare
to my output very similar.

Phoenix Risen
12-10-2011, 01:12 AM
no company stole anything. the g5 and the cobalt were built on the same assembly line...

and the g6 was a totally different vehicle.

the only big difference form my experience to yours will be yours is a sedan ours was a coupe.

Qexler
12-10-2011, 01:15 AM
Well Pontiac is basically a Chevrolet =p

Qexler
12-10-2011, 01:22 AM
Thanks guys! Gotta hit the bed then go to work! I appreciate your help! Thanks phoenix!

kushy_dreams
12-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Check your wiring and make sure the sub isnt out of phase to begin with.

Qexler
12-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Out of phase meaning the wires that are connected together inside the box may have came undone?
I tape them connections up VERY tight and good... But if that is a possibility I can check it...
as for wiring proper + to + and - to - I got that wired correctly.

double 07
12-11-2011, 12:01 AM
Have you tried taking out your rear speakers for a minute to let the bass waves come through the rear deck and into the cabin?....My BMW didn't get loud until I cut a hole in the center of my rear deck under the carpeted cover and between the 6.5" speakers... It sounds to me like your bass is having a hard time finding your cabin....Try the speaker removal trick if that helps, then cut a hole in the center of the deck so sound can go up and over box into cabin....Oh and my car sounds better with sub & port facing trunk with box pushed up against seat!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

Qexler
12-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Thank you! That is some awesome information. I know that my rear area that the speakers are mounted on is
flexxxing like CRAZY. However this does not apply if my seats are down does it?

double 07
12-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Well not if seats are down UNLESS the enclosure pretty much blocks that opening when seat is down......My enclosure kinda chokes that area off so that's why I went with the hole in the rear deck....My sub flexes all four doors and every window NOW!!!!!

Qexler
12-13-2011, 09:37 AM
The enclosure is nowhere near deep enough to fill my trunk and block the opening, however it is as tall as the opening and almost as wide.

pro-rabbit
12-13-2011, 10:02 AM
The enclosure is nowhere near deep enough to fill my trunk and block the opening, however it is as tall as the opening and almost as wide.

It sounds to me it is more your perception of what is actually going on. Odds are the way your settings are, you are getting your max output at a lower volume. Then when you roll up your volume the mids/highs increase in volume but the sub level does not. This would give you the feeling that it is "vanishing".

As for enclosure direction, each and every application is 100% different. Even with the same year/make/model of car. That is what makes our job more difficult. Just because what we did with car a worked great does not mean it will work with car b even though they are the same year/make/model.

At the point your at you can move the enclosure around to see what you like best. Then perhaps rebuild the enclosure to better fit with in the limits of what you found by moving the enclosure around.

The other option is to upgrade what you have now as you have more then likely out grown what you currently have.

On a side note, I would check your wiring and connections just to be on the safe side. Use a DMM to check your wiring(makes it much faster and no need to pull the sub out). Also, go over your amp settings and head unit settings. In many cases there are a few ways to get a little more from your setup by a few adjustments.

Qexler
12-13-2011, 10:18 AM
It just confuses me... it seemed much louder the first day I got it. But you are correct. I could of very well just grown to it and not notice what it is anymore. I could probably tell a difference if any of my friends had systems... and 0 of them do =/

pro-rabbit
12-13-2011, 10:27 AM
It just confuses me... it seemed much louder the first day I got it. But you are correct. I could of very well just grown to it and not notice what it is anymore. I could probably tell a difference if any of my friends had systems... and 0 of them do =/

This happens to all of us and is one of the biggest reasons for upgrades. I was getting this way with our demo truck so much that it seemed to not be loud at all. Then after about a 2 week break from it, it felt like it did when we first built it. however, I'm back to being the same way with it again so it is about time to rebuild the wall :D

Qexler
12-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Dang, I never ran setups too large... I am personally a fan of systems running one subwoofer. I have ran one type r 15, type r 12, memphis pr 12, and now the aq hdc 3.0 10"
I guess my dream system would have to be one soundstream XXX 15. Or a single hcca 12
However I am lead to believe an upgrade from my 600cca ac delco battery and doing a big 3 will fix my power issue
and allow it to be much louder.

hispls
12-13-2011, 10:45 AM
[url=http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/aiming.htm] However I was always
told to make sure the box and port was located ports width in distance from the wall?

I think what people meant was MINIMUM of a port width away from walls. Not precisely a port width away. The former is true, the latter probably not.

I was going to try it myself of course, I just wanted to hear other peoples experiences and with what positions... afterall it is a pain
to rotate a hd in a double baffled box when you only weight 120lbs yourself =p

First of all, that Q is a tiny sub, can't weigh over 40 pounds on its own. Man up and start trying all different combinations of aiming.

Second of all, if you come into some money step up to a neo motor woofer (saves on the back when you do start going big and need to move things around).

Next trunks generally eat 3-6db unless you seal them off and wall them off (like thorshammer...you should be able to youtube that and see how loud trunks are done).

Lastly, as others have said you may well just be at the max that can do and have your gains turned too far up. I would also suggest testing the box in the back seat and just see what it does. Expect a good 3db down from that when it's in your trunk on a good day and understand that's all you got til you upgrade something.

Qexler
12-13-2011, 10:56 AM
I think I will try it in the back seat, Concidering my seats are leather I was going to leave them down and face the box up sub and port facing ceiling and glass.
that a way they arent damaging the leather... That would be nice to gain 3db (on a good day) by eliminating that trunk.