PDA

View Full Version : Box for two Sundown SA 15's

tigermax14
12-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Here are the current plans for my box.

The box will be for two SA 15's powered by an SAX 1200 in an 05 tahoe. Dimensions will be 44"x22"x18" which comes out to 8.3^2 feet before displacement. Subs up, single 8 inch sonotube aeroport to the rear tuned at 31hz. Box comes to about 7.4^2 after sub, port, and dowel bracing displacement. I know the box is a little on the large side but this was recommended by Jacob at sundown to maximize the power I'm running, and the port area is a little low but this is a daily/lows box. Any input is appreciated and also what is the best way to run my speaker wires from the amp into the box? Also will take any tips on flaring sonotube. If I left anything out just ask. Thanks in advance

dB-SPL
12-07-2011, 12:06 AM
I would use two of those 8" tubes in a box that big if I were to go the aero route, Or one 10".. Why not just go with a square/slot? That's 44W 22D and 18H right?

tigermax14
12-07-2011, 12:16 AM
Yea, its 44W 22D and 18H. Main reason I wanted to do aeros was because Ive never built a ported box and thought they would be easier and the tuning can be adjusted.

dB-SPL
12-07-2011, 12:35 AM
Bah.. If you've never built a ported box, just build one with a fixed Fb. I bet you'd only change it once or twice anyway for a quick metering. I'd give them like 6-7 cubes and plenty of port area. Slots actually easier than you think.

tigermax14
12-07-2011, 12:48 AM
Isn't more port area mainly recommended when running high power set ups? Im gonna be giving them their 600 rms a piece which from what Ive read they will laugh at. The lower power is the reason I was going with the larger box

dB-SPL
12-07-2011, 01:00 AM
They won't exactly laugh at the power. A true 1200 rms will get those subs moving. And port area is not just for 'high power' setups. I'll whip a design up right quick.

Flastrongman
12-07-2011, 01:02 AM
you're on the right track already, that box will sound good. Jacob knows his subs so listen to him.

tigermax14
12-07-2011, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the responses, Jacob actually recommended 3 4" ports and 8 cubes after displacement based on my power. I wanted to bump it up a little with the 8" sonotube for ease and because real aeroports are expensive.

Flastrongman
12-07-2011, 01:15 AM
go with an aero port it's worth the extra $. There's a couple guys on here that sell custom 8" aero's for a very good price.

dB-SPL
12-07-2011, 01:22 AM
Just build this. Simple and solid. It works out great to your dimensions, gives you 15" per cube of port and leaves you just over 6 cubes net @ 33Hz. Sundown subs do awesome in smaller enclosures. You don't have to double baffle/flush mount, but it looks clean and adds support.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e75/bent_rod88/633-2.png
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e75/bent_rod88/633-1.png

tigermax14
12-07-2011, 01:43 AM
Well now I'm confused. That box design looks great it's just hard to go against what the owner of the company recommended. I just want to have a nice box that will play lows, be musical, and move air. I could care less what it meters. And the flush mount looks awesome but I don't have a jasper jig to cut perfect circles.

Flastrongman
12-07-2011, 01:46 AM
for the power you're running what was first recommended to you was the best choice.

dB-SPL
12-07-2011, 01:47 AM
It'll slam lows, it'll move air and be plenty musical at 33Hz. :) People are feeding 18" Nightshades their RMS in 6 cubes.. You could run the first setup no problem, but that's just not enough port area at all.

05trailblazer
12-07-2011, 02:19 AM
Or you can always ask an enclosure designer most likely they'll lead you on the track. But so far i see good answers here

hispls
12-07-2011, 02:38 AM
Personally I'd think the 8 cube AFTER displacement would be better for a pair of 15's. Don't you think the guy who designed the subs would know???

I'd also use 10" sono in that size box, but I doubt you'll have turbulence issues with 8". You may be able to use some chicken wire and paper mache to build flares. (I have not tried this, but have been told by reliable source that it works)

I like sono tube since you can tune low to start and use a utility knife to tune up a little at a time to test different tunings. If you go easy on the glue the first go it's easy to cut it out and put in a longer one after you decide on tuning.

tigermax14
12-07-2011, 02:51 AM
Personally I'd think the 8 cube AFTER displacement would be better for a pair of 15's. Don't you think the guy who designed the subs would know???

I'd also use 10" sono in that size box, but I doubt you'll have turbulence issues with 8". You may be able to use some chicken wire and paper mache to build flares. (I have not tried this, but have been told by reliable source that it works)

I like sono tube since you can tune low to start and use a utility knife to tune up a little at a time to test different tunings. If you go easy on the glue the first go it's easy to cut it out and put in a longer one after you decide on tuning.

Only problem with the 10" would be that it would be too long to rear fire. For a 32 hz tuning at 8^2 ft it would have to be around 19 inches long.

hispls
12-07-2011, 02:59 AM
Can you make the box taller or bigger front to back? Porting out the driver's side works very well in SUV and assuming 44" side to side is tight, if you made it 34" side to side and ported out a side I think it would do well (and depth wouldn't be an issue).

Just something to think about. Bigger port is better, but 8" is adequate to avoid port noise.

tigermax14
12-07-2011, 03:02 AM
max width is 48, depth really doesnt matter, and I would like to keep my height around 22 or below. Theres a lot of room to play with

I think I'm just gonna go with my original plan because Jacob recommended even less port area than I will have with the single 8", and I'm pretty sure he knows his stuff.
Changed up the dimensions a little to ensure enough space between the port and front wall. (40Wx26Dx18H) Right at 8^ft after displacement. Now just gotta decide if I wanna drop $50+ on a real 8" aeroport or live with a $6 sonotube.

Relent
12-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Are you watching me? I'm currently working on a design for 2-15" SA's, I have an 8" sono, my '99 Hoe has roughly the same dimensions to work with and I have a choice of giving them 500w per or 1kw per. I'll probably go with 500w per until I completely decide on tuning freq.

I have been running 1 of them in it to see which directions work best, all with sub firing up:
Port to rear corner is loudest.
Port to rear seemed the worst SOUNDING
Port to the side was perhaps the quietest but also sounded the best as it seemed to fill the cabin smoother and more evenly.
17"H x 41"W x 30"D
2-8" ports 24" in length after .38 of displacement for woofers and .2 for bracing= 8.04ft^ net with 12.5 port area per ft.
Final result is 32.30hz
AND with these dimensions it gives you freedom to choose to fire your port to the rear or to the side.
If you want I also have the cut measurements

Now if only I could decide on 32 or 37hz.

We should definitely keep each other informed on these builds. Give me a shout if you have any questions.

tigermax14
12-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Are you watching me? I'm currently working on a design for 2-15" SA's, I have an 8" sono, my '99 Hoe has roughly the same dimensions to work with and I have a choice of giving them 500w per or 1kw per. I'll probably go with 500w per until I completely decide on tuning freq.

I have been running 1 of them in it to see which directions work best, all with sub firing up:
Port to rear corner is loudest.
Port to rear seemed the worst SOUNDING
Port to the side was perhaps the quietest but also sounded the best as it seemed to fill the cabin smoother and more evenly.
17"H x 41"W x 30"D
2-8" ports 24" in length after .38 of displacement for woofers and .2 for bracing= 8.04ft^ net with 12.5 port area per ft.
Final result is 32.30hz
AND with these dimensions it gives you freedom to choose to fire your port to the rear or to the side.
If you want I also have the cut measurements

Now if only I could decide on 32 or 37hz.

We should definitely keep each other informed on these builds. Give me a shout if you have any questions.

When you refer to the loudest and quietest is that to the ear or confirmed on the meter? I'm not looking for numbers just to play low and move a little air. I'm going to try out the single 8" first based on Jacob's recommendation. How are you attaching the sonotube to your box and are you flaring at all? I've got everything but the subs so it will be a few weeks before I have everything installed. And from what Ive read I would go with the 1k per sub. I'll definitely let you know how my build goes. If you come up with any more info on port direction let me know.

lorenzenjo
05-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Isnt that box design a little small? im looking for ideas for a box myself and i came across this, i like the idea but i think maybe 7.5 or 8 cubes would be ideal.