PDA

View Full Version : how would I cut this?

ace_800
11-28-2011, 09:35 AM
okay kind of a strange question but I have a 3 inch round port that I need to cut. problem is it already installed and I can't get to the back side of it. basically it's both ports back to back and I need to cut them down by half. is there any tool I can use to cut through?

pro-rabbit
11-28-2011, 09:44 AM
If they are installed already then it just depends on the room you have to work with.

A cut off wheel works great, so does a sawzall if your in a jam...other then that maybe some kind of hand saw.

pro-rabbit
11-28-2011, 09:45 AM
dbl :crap:

ahole-ic
11-28-2011, 10:03 AM
okay kind of a strange question but I have a 3 inch round port that I need to cut. problem is it already installed and I can't get to the back side of it. basically it's both ports back to back and I need to cut them down by half. is there any tool I can use to cut through?

I would not cut it down in the box. Figure a way to remove it and then cut them down. If you're having trouble reaching them, chances are you will get angled cuts and mess them up.

hispls
11-28-2011, 10:27 AM
http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/public/4pW-cO_1Az8fjzx6PeNEm-CsgW7DYN6Wtr2V_AHNSB1W3g9TLlR9gtx3bpngTqBM7np-xbM9FV_wbhPzpLGUxmwfpZ2jQXCxna0WUzXklLnAqKdMRkoxxT K5QLymywdB4YHrI6v-9gaK13GaFfAjKAmYexjJ5mGDEcvj6ffCcA9SvcdMSuvecmGoZS fTv4nY0cr0g2hlDu1UjNHPKU-0VmIh6fc

^^^ This on a dremmel tool. As others have said, it'll be really tough to do neatly without removing the port. I'd think if you pulled the sub you should be able to get in there with a larger saw.

pro-rabbit
11-28-2011, 10:38 AM
If it is to tight then use a rubber mallet and tap it out..best option in the end.

ace_800
11-28-2011, 10:45 AM
I could try to tap it out. Where's the cutting laser when u need it.....lol

audiobaun
11-28-2011, 12:00 PM
If the port is made of Plastic/PVC material..I recommend using a plumbers hand-held wire saw.It should melt right through it.I use this in tight spots in walls, that CPVC piping is against the studs, and cant make a straight cut.They are cheap at Home Depot/Lowes/Ace Hardware, ect.Like $8 or so.What I use for tight spots on things like that, and makes a smooth fine cut:D

ace_800
11-28-2011, 12:14 PM
AH!!! Gracias

pro-rabbit
11-28-2011, 12:18 PM
If the port is made of Plastic/PVC material..I recommend using a plumbers hand-held wire saw.It should melt right through it.I use this in tight spots in walls, that CPVC piping is against the studs, and cant make a straight cut.They are cheap at Home Depot/Lowes/Ace Hardware, ect.Like $8 or so.What I use for tight spots on things like that, and makes a smooth fine cut:D

I forgot all about those. Will work, but may not be 100% straight though.

audiobaun
11-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Take your time at first, and make sure its straight enough for you, and go to town.Id start at the end to practice on short cuts to get the hang of it, or you can purchase a scrap piece from them to practice on first,,most of them will just give the scrap piece to you..1ft or so?Worth asking about:awesome: