PDA

View Full Version : So round speakers sound better than oval, but by how much?

shilent
11-28-2011, 03:09 AM
How much of a difference in terms of sound quality? I currently have RF T1682C's (6x8) in my car and was wondering if I should swap them for some 6.5's?

Since I have RF's let's use their products for example. If 6.5's generally sound better than 6x8's, then does that mean a RF Prime 6.5 would sound better than their Power 6x8's?

Can anyone suggest a pair of speakers that would be noticeably better than my T1682C's that's under $200? These will be powered by a RF Prime R300 50W RMS each.

TaylorFade
11-28-2011, 04:09 AM
There is some conjecture that the ovular shape has some cone breakup and/or beaming issues or some ****, but I think that's been disproven. The main reason that whole "oval speakers are no good for SQ" thing started is because nobody makes a really high end 6x9. Or didn't. They do have some higher end ones out, but they're usually coax. And comps are almost always an improvement over coax.

Where are said 6x8's? In the doors or the rear?

shilent
11-28-2011, 04:52 AM
Front/doors.

I'm looking at the Boston SR80's, anything better for $200?

rodburner
11-28-2011, 09:32 PM
My new project will be using Morel Maximo 6x9's in the kick panels. They come as a coax,but can be turned into separates in 30 seconds with a screwdriver..
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e69/rodburner/DSCF4327.jpg

oldschoolboomer
11-28-2011, 09:41 PM
I have morel tempo 6x9s in my kicks and they sound great and have tons of midbass. The cone area is nice.

Bettr n' Revrse
11-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Just swapping the same model in a different size you wont notice much Im sure...

xmakeafistx
11-28-2011, 11:50 PM
My new project will be using Morel Maximo 6x9's in the kick panels. They come as a coax,but can be turned into separates in 30 seconds with a screwdriver..
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e69/rodburner/DSCF4327.jpg

let me know what happens when you do that. Seems like an interesting project. although you should probably get a cap of sorts over that hole.. I'm sure you know that already though.

Bettr n' Revrse
11-28-2011, 11:53 PM
You mean that thing to the left?

Why So Cereal?
11-29-2011, 12:20 AM
I have morel tempo 6x9s in my kicks and they sound great and have tons of midbass. The cone area is nice.

I've been wanting to try some 6x9s as dedicated midbass in my kicks. All of my experiences with 6x9s have resulted in great midbass...to bad they were all in other peoples cars :crap:

to the OP, when you say sound quality....what are you trying to get exactly? more midbass...more midrange clarity...what?

Why So Cereal?
11-29-2011, 12:20 AM

I've been wanting to try some 6x9s as dedicated midbass in my kicks. All of my experiences with 6x9s have resulted in great midbass...to bad they were all in other peoples cars :crap:

to the OP, when you say sound quality....what are you trying to get exactly? more midbass...more midrange clarity...what?

rodburner
11-29-2011, 12:29 AM
let me know what happens when you do that. Seems like an interesting project. although you should probably get a cap of sorts over that hole.. I'm sure you know that already though.

Oh yeah,I plan to cap it. The cap from my Thanksgiving apple cider is real light and doesn't look to bad either..
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e69/rodburner/DSCF4328.jpg

BnGRacing
11-29-2011, 06:46 AM
Round speakers sound better than oval speakers only on paper. When you install them in a car, which is a terrible environment for sound reproduction, any differences in SQ will be inaudible. What you will hear is that the oval speaker will have more bass as they have more cone area. But a night & day difference? Hardly.

If you're comparing a $500 set of components to a set of 6x9's you picked up on the clearance rack at Pep Boys...then ya, there's a difference.

disturbed471985
11-29-2011, 06:50 AM
Oh yeah,I plan to cap it. The cap from my Thanksgiving apple cider is real light and doesn't look to bad either..
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e69/rodburner/DSCF4328.jpg

Loving it....

VWBobby
11-29-2011, 06:58 AM
I use 6x9's in the back. I've had vehicles that use 6x9's in the front and as long as you use higher quality ones (over $80-120), you can get some very good SQ imho. 2 or 3-way coax. Its very hard to get that much midbass in anything other than a higher powered set of 7 - 10" speakers...cone area ftw. :)

fish1234
11-29-2011, 07:56 AM
I've had a pair of Pioneer TS-6902R's coaxs in the rear of my truck at one time and those things sounded really nice. Suprisingly very tight bass, but the tweeter got a little bright though.

keep_hope_alive
11-29-2011, 03:04 PM
yes, speaker cones make a difference in how they sound. and yes, that difference can be audible in a car environment. but there are so many other factors at work and each speaker model sounds different (even in the same brand).

the biggest difference will be the upper vocal range and as you near the crossover point for the tweeter. above 1kHz, a 6x9 can get a bit weird. that "dust cap" will have it's own sonic characteristics and resonance frequency - note that the cap shouldn't be conductive or touching the actual voice coil wiring. parts express has some small dust caps (paper or poly). good results can be had from using a dedicated midrange and a 6x9 as a midbass/woofer.

Hertz has some high energy 6x9's that sound pretty darn good (for $350/pr).

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

I've had a pair of Pioneer TS-6902R's coaxs in the rear of my truck at one time and those things sounded really nice. Suprisingly very tight bass, but the tweeter got a little bright though.

more likely - you heard phase interference between the full range woofer and the tweeter. what most people call "harsh tweeters" is just phase interference from multiple arrival times.

fish1234
11-29-2011, 05:27 PM
I've recently heard those Hertz 6x9's, they do give a very robust sound. Very pleased, but they are pricey.

keep_hope_alive
11-29-2011, 07:57 PM
most coaxial speaker lack good passive crossovers. the new Alpine Type-R includes a low pass filter on the woofer and they sound decent for the money.

shilent
11-30-2011, 01:06 AM

Midrange clarity.

Looks like everyone's saying not much difference between the two, guess I'll just look into other ways of improving my sound. I noticed my system sounds so much better when my car is not moving, I'll look into sound deadening.

TheUnderFighter
11-30-2011, 01:15 AM
Yea you're not gonna see much difference between the 2. You could really notice a difference if you moved to maybe the Morel Maximo components. Great for your budget and limited power.
Deadening can really help when done right, as well as sealing up the holes in your doors.

TheUnderFighter
11-30-2011, 01:15 AM
Yea you're not gonna see much difference between the 2. You could really notice a difference if you moved to maybe the Morel Maximo components. Great for your budget and limited power.
Deadening can really help when done right, as well as sealing up the holes in your doors.