PDA

View Full Version : What to buy/look for.

cbuts
11-24-2011, 12:13 AM
well, in the FUTURE, ill be wanting to upgrade my front speakers from the mtx ones i have, to something nice and loud, along with my tweaters.

in the back i have brand new infinitys 6x9s

Infinity Reference 6" x 9" 2-Way Car Speaker (9632CF) : 6"x9" Speakers - Future Shop (http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/infinity-reference-6-x-9-2-way-car-speaker-9632cf/10121788.aspx?path=360a76c3b834d8ce21a575239c324d8 ben02)

those ones i believe.

im running 2 sa 12s, with a rockford fosgate 1500 amp.
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/general-discussion/528812-new-setup.html#post7820392

i have an amp in the garage i might be able to use for my speakers.
my HU is a jvc JVC MP3/WMA CD Car Deck [With AUX Input] (KD-R520) : Single DIN Car Decks - Future Shop (http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/jvc-jvc-mp3-wma-cd-car-deck-with-aux-input-kd-r520-kd-r520/10162175.aspx?path=b3b2a4bcbd7a198f4a76e9cf513cfc9 9en02)
that one i believe, im told it only have 2 pre outputs so i gotta make sure its a 2 channel amp?

i have 4 guage ran right now, but will be upgrading to 0 guage, and using my 4 guage for amping the speakers.

i need help choosing what speakers and tweaters, and what rms to look for

thanks

mylows10
11-24-2011, 12:19 AM
ok guy ,you need to seal off the 6x9's or you will end up effin them up.mat the doors,then look at cdt,morel,focal,rainbow,etc,.... just really depends on your budget and how much power you are gonna put to them

Rich B
11-24-2011, 12:27 AM
Loud components?

Try metal dome tweeters and a fairly high sensitivity rating on the entire set (like 90+ db).

The higher the sensitivity, the louder it will be for the same watts..... provided the manufacturer wasnt lying.

cbuts
11-24-2011, 12:31 AM
okay, what do u mean by seal them off? they are in the back :P

mylows10
11-24-2011, 12:38 AM
dont get titanium if your gonna get metal tweets get aluminum.i personally dont like metal tweets i like silk dome .i run these and love them ES 010 (http://www.cdtaudio.com/series/tweeters/es-010.htm) and they do get loud and will take 200 watts rms a set. the woofers will use the 6x9's as passive radiators .some people just build small boxes around them to enclose them off from the trunk.

BnGRacing
11-24-2011, 05:32 AM
When looking to upgrade your front speakers, or any speaker really, you don't look for anything. Sensitivity, freq response, RMS, and all those other 'features' you see printed on the box or posted on the vendor's website do not mean squat. Likewise, I've never been convinced speaker/tweeter materials make a difference...so that doesn't help you much either. Use your ears and buy what you think sounds good instead of spending your money on something that may only look good on paper.

Speaking of paper...don't be afraid of paper cones. Just b/c a mid uses some exotic material does not mean it will sound better. In addition, soft dome tweeters are not always 'smooth'. I've heard plenty that were bright & gritty. Likewise, I've heard titanium dome tweets sound butter smooth and have heard/owned plastic tweeters/mids that have absolutely blown away $1000 component sets. You don't really know until you give it a listen.

And on those other ratings; some manufacturers rate their speakers as a PAIR and not as an individual driver. Some companies rate their efficiency @ 1w and others rate it at 2.83v...which would be 1w "if" it's an 8ohm driver. So ya, comparing those numbers isn't going to help much. RMS is misleading if you ask me. The thing that will roast your mid will be bass and using a HP crossover will reduce that risk. There's a big difference between hooking up a speaker to a 200w amp and asking it to play all freq and only play 90hz and up. Even worse there's no guarantee a 200w speaker will be louder than a 100w speaker or that it will it sound better.

Confused yet? Don't be...

Go into a shop and have a listen. Doesn't get much easier than that.

Oh, and don't waste your $$$ on 1/0 gauge power wire. A run of 4ga power wire can carry A LOT of current and supply multiple amps with ease. Use the $$$ you plan on throwing away on 1/0 gauge and buy better speakers.

>>SQL<<
11-24-2011, 06:43 AM
Sealing off your rear speakers means this...
Go look in your trunk above that huge sub box of yours, see how you can see the bottoms of the 6x9's? That is bad.
Every time those 12's hit the pressure wave from them pushes on the 6x9's causing much distortion.
Also having those 6x9's there gives less ways for the bass to get from the trunk into the car.
What most of us do is remove the rear speakers, seal up the front doors real good (I used a few layers of FatMatt) and throw some solid power at a good set of front components (I run 200 RMS to a set of older High End MB Quart 6.5 components)

However there are other people who feel they have to have rear speakers (I think they have likely never been in a car with a quality high powered front stage) so they find a way to seal off the rear deck speakers (build a small box under them)

BTW - it is cool that you are trying to learn and seem to be doing a good job. There are many new people who join this board who 'already know everything' and have the worst equipment, install, and attitude - you are not one of them, thank you.

cbuts
11-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Sealing off your rear speakers means this...
Go look in your trunk above that huge sub box of yours, see how you can see the bottoms of the 6x9's? That is bad.
Every time those 12's hit the pressure wave from them pushes on the 6x9's causing much distortion.
Also having those 6x9's there gives less ways for the bass to get from the trunk into the car.
What most of us do is remove the rear speakers, seal up the front doors real good (I used a few layers of FatMatt) and throw some solid power at a good set of front components (I run 200 RMS to a set of older High End MB Quart 6.5 components)

However there are other people who feel they have to have rear speakers (I think they have likely never been in a car with a quality high powered front stage) so they find a way to seal off the rear deck speakers (build a small box under them)

BTW - it is cool that you are trying to learn and seem to be doing a good job. There are many new people who join this board who 'already know everything' and have the worst equipment, install, and attitude - you are not one of them, thank you.
ahh thanks chief, i thought i would invest in something that i see alot of good ratings about, and havnt had a bad complaint about those subs yet. and they seem to be working wonders, right now its just a money issue, i just got back home from blowing another 80A fuse, the gain is only at like 4 with the freq at like 75.

i want to run a set of 0 guage over my 4 guage,b oth from the battery, and use the 4 guage to amp my speakers in the future.

thanks for the comments