PDA

View Full Version : Would this prefab work?

JoshC
11-07-2011, 12:41 AM
Im planning on moving to the sundown SD12 in the next month or so here. Sundowns calls for a 1cu box sealed. The SD's are suppose to be more seal friendly, which works better for me in a single cab. But instead of spending 80-100 getting one made im trying to find a prefab i can use cheaper. I found this guy that would drop right in but its .88cu. You think it will be fine since ill be running 100rms over? Or should i just pay to have a 1-1.15cu box built for it.... Thanks

12" SINGLE UNIVERSAL BLACK SUBWOOFER SUB SPEAKER ENCLOSURE BOX | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-SINGLE-UNIVERSAL-BLACK-SUBWOOFER-SUB-SPEAKER-ENCLOSURE-BOX-/310348936398?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&vxp=mtr&hash=item48423cf4ce#ht_2519wt_847)

Bottom of the box cant be large the 12in, would prefer 11in. Can be up to 28in long and 15in tall.... Anyone know where i can find such a box? lol

pro-rabbit
11-07-2011, 12:42 AM
You also need to consider subwoofer displacement in your math. That puts this enclosure a bit smaller then that.

Bettr n' Revrse
11-07-2011, 12:44 AM
You have to take into account sub displacement... So that box is probably out

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

You also need to consider subwoofer displacement in your math. That puts this enclosure a bit smaller then that.

Ya don't say :)

Kangaroux
11-07-2011, 12:45 AM
Also, I wouldn't buy an enclosure if it wasn't made out of at least 3/4" MDF. That is made out of 5/8", and I don't particularly trust prefabs and the glue they use to hold it together.

mylows10
11-07-2011, 12:46 AM
don'y do it josh

winkychevelle
11-07-2011, 12:48 AM
id say look into subthump.com but u dont want to spend much. that box is going to cause the sub to be a bit more peaky and its going to limit the low end extension. to what point idk but i would look around for a box thats a little over 1cube or buy a 35$ sheet of mdf, 5$ of wood glue and some 10$ screws and make up a quick sealed box. im gonna try mine in 1.13 each and hopefully get the low-end extension i want with out porting my box

JoshC
11-07-2011, 12:56 AM
id say look into subthump.com but u dont want to spend much. that box is going to cause the sub to be a bit more peaky and its going to limit the low end extension. to what point idk but i would look around for a box thats a little over 1cube or buy a 35$ sheet of mdf, 5$ of wood glue and some 10$ screws and make up a quick sealed box. im gonna try mine in 1.13 each and hopefully get the low-end extension i want with out porting my box

I wasnt sure if sundown included driver dis. with that box size. Did u pick up the 12s? Let me know how it turns out man!

slvrado28z
11-07-2011, 12:56 AM
just build a box..never buy a pre fab

winkychevelle
11-07-2011, 01:00 AM
I wasnt sure if sundown included driver dis. with that box size. Did u pick up the 12s? Let me know how it turns out man!

no sundown is 1 cube after displacements, and i think after seeing the new sd2's 2 12s in my truck should do good, but i believe with the depth i have imma try the ia flatlyne in the same box. prolly at the same time and see which one i like better

JoshC
11-07-2011, 01:05 AM
Dose it make a differance if the sub is at one side of the box or the other? Or centered for that matter, would be a wedge type 2 style box

d-REW
11-07-2011, 01:09 AM
i would avoid this box i had a customer who didnt listen to me bought one similar to it and blew it apart with a single sa12. try to make one on your own if possible sealed are cake to make and would cost less in long run.

winkychevelle
11-07-2011, 01:16 AM
Dose it make a differance if the sub is at one side of the box or the other? Or centered for that matter, would be a wedge type 2 style box

i typically try and keep my subs directly behind me were i can run time alignment on them with less setup time but thats mostly single sub setups. my last car had two sundown z12s on the drivers side port on passengers side and it was great as was the same spec box with the port dividing the subs. but with my single cab chevy i ran a console box sub up port into the dash and that was the loudest and most accurate bass i could get out of it. staging was perfect when i set it up for that.

depends all on the vehicle i suppose