PDA

View Full Version : Who Competes?

stereo_luver
11-03-2011, 05:56 PM
I'm just wondering who here competes? I mean do you build just to have what YOU think is a nice system? Or are you building to compete? From what I'm seeing there are fewer people going to events and competing. The support for car audio is lacking to say the least. How many here actually go and attend events? If you don't compete what is holding you back?

Chuck

NoLoud4U
11-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Meca s2

wenn_du_weinst
11-03-2011, 06:00 PM
I used to, I held the local record for a long time and just got beat last year when I didn't attend. I switched to sq now though so doubt I'll compete again.

i2ain2thunder
11-03-2011, 06:00 PM
I don't compete mainly because I'm building to have a great system not just to score high. But in SQ which is my build I guess they are one and the same thing somewhat. If I ever get my midbass drivers installed and my HO alt installed I'd consider going to a comp and competing in the sq category. I could compete SPL but I don't feel like damaging my subs.

mylows10
11-03-2011, 06:03 PM
db drag street c and bass race 139.9. Competitor Stats: Team Audio Connection - Jim (http://www.termpro.com/asp/competitorstats.asp?Competitor_ID=71153&Season=2011)

thegreatestpenn
11-03-2011, 06:05 PM
I compete when I can (s5, s1, and sq modified this year) and also judge here in ohio.

What I've found is most are either a) scared to find out their score or b)scared to get beaten in competition. People on the forums talk a good game, but enjoy the ignorance of not having someone against them in a given division. Then there's learning and mastering the rules. I get people that say "I don't understand the fuse rules" and don't even try meca for that reason.

sacsking916
11-03-2011, 06:18 PM
bassrace 139.9 for me. i hit up as many as i can, time off allowed

stereo_luver
11-03-2011, 06:26 PM
I compete when I can (s5, s1, and sq modified this year) and also judge here in ohio.

What I've found is most are either a) scared to find out their score or b)scared to get beaten in competition. People on the forums talk a good game, but enjoy the ignorance of not having someone against them in a given division. Then there's learning and mastering the rules. I get people that say "I don't understand the fuse rules" and don't even try meca for that reason.

I was afraid of this. Most people THINK they have a good - great system and don't want to be judged for the fear of being told what is lacking in the system/sound. The judges are there for a reason. They give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. It HELPS you have a better system. You can ride around all day with what you think is a killer system. But have a trained ear have a listen and oops! You may be pulling a little to the left. Your midbass may be lacking around 125kHz. The stage may not be as wide as you thought. Where exactly is your center? Is your sub pulling you back to the trunk? Most of all are you afraid to be told what is wrong with what you are hearing?

Chuck

thegreatestpenn
11-03-2011, 06:32 PM
I was afraid of this. Most people THINK they have a good - great system and don't want to be judged for the fear of being told what is lacking in the system/sound. The judges are there for a reason. They give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. It HELPS you have a better system. You can ride around all day with what you think is a killer system. But have a trained ear have a listen and oops! You may be pulling a little to the left. Your midbass may be lacking around 125kHz. The stage may not be as wide as you thought. Where exactly is your center? Is your sub pulling you back to the trunk? Most of all are you afraid to be told what is wrong with what you are hearing?

Chuck
Oh yeah, and the people that consider themselves sound quality are the hardest to bring out. Their automatic excuse is "well its subjective it sounds good in my opinion" but the judging standards are clear enough for fair, consistent judging.

But keep hope aive my man! I believe the competition scene can gro and be like the old days again if we judges and event directors put the time and effort into promoting and getting sponsors

i2ain2thunder
11-03-2011, 06:34 PM
I just am not familiar with it and a little nervous about that. Never even been to one, do they tell you what category you should compete in and stuff, what music is acceptable do they play their own stuff like that I guess I just don't know a thing about them. That and I'm in MN not many comps here from what I understand. I don't know where to find info on when and where comps are stuff like that.

I just want to enter my ride, show up let them play whatever they want test it and give me the results, then check out other people's systems and demo my own maybe get lit/drunk and party a lil bit. It sounds like the prep work and music choice and stuff is a lot of work though

ChevyRidinLow
11-03-2011, 06:43 PM
i dont compete because there are no comps near me and i dont wanna spend 5000 on a stereo to put in a 2000 dollar car just for the sake of blasting out a 32 hz tone for 10 seconds

sacsking916
11-03-2011, 06:45 PM

Chuck

Oh yeah, and the people that consider themselves sound quality are the hardest to bring out. Their automatic excuse is "well its subjective it sounds good in my opinion" but the judging standards are clear enough for fair, consistent judging.

But keep hope aive my man! I believe the competition scene can gro and be like the old days again if we judges and event directors put the time and effort into promoting and getting sponsors

seems to me you guys are talking more SQ/SQL than you are SPL burps. most guys i know dont want to go to a comp with there daily drivers when they get put up against a guy who has perfected his burp system. makes it much less fun for first time guys.

stereo_luver
11-03-2011, 06:55 PM
I compete with my daily driver / work truck. I go up against $$$$$$$$$$ and I have a fraction of the cost in my ride and I do my own build and tuning. Yep I'm SQ/SQL but that shouldn't be any different from SPL since there are classes with rules.

Chuck

sacsking916
11-03-2011, 06:59 PM
I compete with my daily driver / work truck. I go up against $$$$$$$$$$ and I have a fraction of the cost in my ride and I do my own build and tuning. Yep I'm SQ/SQL but that shouldn't be any different from SPL since there are classes with rules.

Chuck

true, i meant as far as how the "sound of the system" was ya know. i compete in my dailr driver also, do my own build, do my own box, and spent my own money for everything in my car. so i know what ya mean

pro-rabbit
11-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Do I count in this conversation? :D

Kangaroux
11-03-2011, 07:02 PM

Who are you again?

dirtysouth31
11-03-2011, 07:05 PM
m4 in va beach,single 18 @ 145.7 at 39htz @ headrest

pro-rabbit
11-03-2011, 07:09 PM

There lies the problem. Promoting costs money no matter how you look at it. I have been doing this for many years and this is and always will be an issue. Most shows put on by a store/manufacturer raise next to no money for them self. They gain awareness which will net some funding, but not much. So then you look into sponsors or selling vendor spaces to help cover costs. However, unless you have a solid show with a good turn out you are less likely to do well with a sponsor or vendors. It is a very tough road to travel down when you are doing these events.

I have helped some of the most successful events ever and some of the worst. In all honesty it will boil down to participation and if you have a backer to keep up the show for a few years to get some type of recognition to gain sponsors and vendors.

With all that in mind there are tricks to getting events going and getting a large crowd. You just have to know the right people or at the very least be able to pick up a phone and make some calls with the right offers.

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

Who are you again?

No one it would seem :crying:

sacsking916
11-03-2011, 07:13 PM

no you dont count sir. :hide:

thegreatestpenn
11-03-2011, 07:19 PM
There lies the problem. Promoting costs money no matter how you look at it. I have been doing this for many years and this is and always will be an issue. Most shows put on by a store/manufacturer raise next to no money for them self. They gain awareness which will net some funding, but not much. So then you look into sponsors or selling vendor spaces to help cover costs. However, unless you have a solid show with a good turn out you are less likely to do well with a sponsor or vendors. It is a very tough road to travel down when you are doing these events.

I have helped some of the most successful events ever and some of the worst. In all honesty it will boil down to participation and if you have a backer to keep up the show for a few years to get some type of recognition to gain sponsors and vendors.

With all that in mind there are tricks to getting events going and getting a large crowd. You just have to know the right people or at the very least be able to pick up a phone and make some calls with the right offers.

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

No one it would seem :crying:

Word up, meca's most recognizeable event is getting dropped tis year due to it losing money wtf

pro-rabbit
11-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Word up, meca's most recognizeable event is getting dropped tis year due to it losing money wtf

I have reached out to Meca a few times but we never could make arrangements for anything. I hate to see shows die off no matter what org or who runs them. No matter what a show fading away hurts the hobby/sport as a whole.

Joseph7195
11-03-2011, 07:29 PM
I was a competitor in USACI. I was very successful. I am probably switching to MECA for the coming year. They have closer shows and they had some bad business going on at finals in 2010. Very unprofessional things. I am hoping the hard work I put into my vehicle will have a fair chance to pay off. I am looking forward to competing again.

stereo_luver
11-03-2011, 07:30 PM
And Steve turned you down?

Chuck

pro-rabbit
11-03-2011, 07:32 PM

Chuck

There is a longer story to it then it being as simple as yes/no to any answer involving meca. Not really the place on a public forum for that discussion and it is more "private" if you will then to be discussed.

pro-rabbit
11-03-2011, 07:33 PM
I was a competitor in USACI. I was very successful. I am probably switching to MECA for the coming year. They have closer shows and they had some bad business going on at finals in 2010. Very unprofessional things. I am hoping the hard work I put into my vehicle will have a fair chance to pay off. I am looking forward to competing again.

USACi as any other org has setbacks and issues. Many of them are being ironed out as they go along. Some other "wrinkles" were just found though.

thegreatestpenn
11-03-2011, 07:47 PM

Chuck

Steve loves money, he not turning anyone down if u buying scoresheets. But he is particular about all formats being offered and some other stuff

pbnj22
11-03-2011, 07:50 PM
i don't compete because i don't have the money, time or resources to be competitive. but i do like to know a little bit of something to show my friends whats up and have a nice sounding system (to me)

pro-rabbit
11-03-2011, 07:55 PM
i don't compete because i don't have the money, time or resources to be competitive. but i do like to know a little bit of something to show my friends whats up and have a nice sounding system (to me)

This is another issue that needs to addressed. In order to keep the sport growing new people have to feel that they can come in and win their respective classes with out much money or tons of builds to get it done. This is needed to get them into the scene and to get "bit by the bug" which will drive them to want to do more and build more and be a part of the shows and make friends with in the show scene.

sacsking916
11-03-2011, 07:58 PM
This is another issue that needs to addressed. In order to keep the sport growing new people have to feel that they can come in and win their respective classes with out much money or tons of builds to get it done. This is needed to get them into the scene and to get "bit by the bug" which will drive them to want to do more and build more and be a part of the shows and make friends with in the show scene.

dont MOST orgs have like an amatuer class?

pro-rabbit
11-03-2011, 07:59 PM

yes they do, but it is very misleading most of the time.

I encourage anyone who has ever remotely even considered it running in the lanes SPL/SQ what ever, to try it at least once. Many times you find that it is not for you, others will love it.

However, be sure to mingle with people. Don't just sit by your car and do nothing and talk to no one. Most of the people at shows are friendly and are there to have a good time and also encourage new people to come and hang out.

hatemonger
11-03-2011, 07:59 PM
I got struck by lightning and won the first and only bass race ever attended. luck rocks

thegreatestpenn
11-03-2011, 08:02 PM

Each league has classes for these kinds of people, they just don't know it cause they don't know the rules. This is why I'm doing video tutorials for how meca formats are done so I can bring more understanding to potential competitors. Meca has amateur street, dbdrag has streeet stock as does usaci so the divisions are there. Crazy part is ppl don't realize its so fun win or lose. Just a bunch of cool (for the most part) enthusiasts hanging out

sacsking916
11-03-2011, 08:05 PM
yes they do, but it is very misleading most of the time.

I encourage anyone who has ever remotely even considered it running in the lanes SPL/SQ what ever, to try it at least once. Many times you find that it is not for you, others will love it.

However, be sure to mingle with people. Don't just sit by your car and do nothing and talk to no one. Most of the people at shows are friendly and are there to have a good time and also encourage new people to come and hang out.

thats what i noticed at the first comps i went to. when my buddy wanted to compete for the first time we asked a lot of questions and got a lot of answers and met some cool people. when i re-did mine and had a little extra money to start off with and everything, i decided i wanted to try it and i love it. i have a blast wherever i go, wife hates it sometimes, but she even comes out from time to time and enjoys herself.

pro-rabbit
11-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Each league has classes for these kinds of people, they just don't know it cause they don't know the rules. This is why I'm doing video tutorials for how meca formats are done so I can bring more understanding to potential competitors. Meca has amateur street, dbdrag has streeet stock as does usaci so the divisions are there. Crazy part is ppl don't realize its so fun win or lose. Just a bunch of cool (for the most part) enthusiasts hanging out

I wouldn't consider the stock class for everyone in USACi. I do understand what your saying though and yes each org has those classes. The real issue are the judges who run the shows and don't use the classes or are they do not understand how to properly use those classes.

I agree, shows are a blast to go to. I will be at many many more shows next year and expect to meet many of the forum members as well as many other new people as well. Should be a great time for sure.

pbnj22
11-03-2011, 08:10 PM

i would love to be more involved with car audio.. i wish i had more money so i could do more builds and shows and what not... but im just a broke college kid with a crummy part time job... maybe when i get my explorer paid off.. since i now finally have a truck that can get loud :)

pro-rabbit
11-03-2011, 08:13 PM
i would love to be more involved with car audio.. i wish i had more money so i could do more builds and shows and what not... but im just a broke college kid with a crummy part time job... maybe when i get my explorer paid off.. since i now finally have a truck that can get loud :)

Anything can get loud if you put the time into it.

You just have to drive to shows..don't have to compete or anything like that, just go hang out and have fun.

tommyk90
11-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Competing isn't for everyone. It's hard to get NEW people into the sport no matter the costs and whatnot.

Even with cheap equipment there are people out there willing to WORK to win, it seems like nowadays people want to just show up and get a trophy. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Do I feel bad when I go to a show and beat up on newcomers? Not really, as I've worked my *** off on my truck and anybody else could do the same if they wanted to win.

Honestly, the only org. that has a chance with newcomers is bassrace. Literally ANY setup can compete and ANY person can win, whether they are a veteran or a newcomer. All it takes is one or two practice runs and a newcomer can get the hang of things very quickly. All out SPL shows are much more difficult, especially in areas where there are a lot of good competitors.

Things around my area died down for a while but luckily thing are starting to come back. I can't say the same for everywhere else, even though I'd like to see things expand no matter what organization it is.

tommyk90
11-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Also, to add what I've already put, it's also hard to have a competitive SPL setup and a daily driver setup at the same time. Often it takes a lot more work and more money for better equipment in order to pull off both successfully.

Burp setups are going to be hard to beat with a "daily friendly" setup. This is another one of the drawbacks and one of the reasons why a lot of people don't compete.

mylows10
11-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Also, to add what I've already put, it's also hard to have a competitive SPL setup and a daily driver setup at the same time. Often it takes a lot more work and more money for better equipment in order to pull off both successfully.

Burp setups are going to be hard to beat with a "daily friendly" setup. This is another one of the drawbacks and one of the reasons why a lot of people don't compete.

mine does both tommy

tommyk90
11-03-2011, 08:24 PM
mine does both tommy

I didn't say it was impossible, but it is hard.

And "competitive" depends on your area and who you are competing against. :)

NoLoud4U
11-03-2011, 08:24 PM
m4 in va beach,single 18 @ 145.7 at 39htz @ headrest

When was this? BTL?

mylows10
11-03-2011, 08:28 PM
I didn't say it was impossible, but it is hard.

And "competitive" depends on your area and who you are competing against. :)
your right ,it was alot of work and testing,but 152.8 burp and 149.9 bass race ,but i normally do 139.9,and climbing

tommyk90
11-03-2011, 08:29 PM
your right ,it was alot of work and testing,but 152.8 burp and 149.9 bass race ,but i normally do 139.9,and climbing

:thumbsup:

sacsking916
11-03-2011, 08:29 PM

stepping up to 149.9 are ya?

mylows10
11-03-2011, 08:32 PM
prolly not yet ,but i have done it in the past ,pushes my system a little much

Dr. Slam
11-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Tommyk what shows do you go to or Know of out in our area? Personally I don't hear about or know of any. I go to car shows because they are promoted and I hear about them on the radio or from word of mouth

sacsking916
11-03-2011, 08:34 PM
prolly not yet ,but i have done it in the past ,pushes my system a little much

oh ok, was going to say that will be nice to see.

tommyk90
11-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Tommyk what shows do you go to or Know of out in our area? Personally I don't hear about or know of any. I go to car shows because they are promoted and I hear about them on the radio or from word of mouth

www.mecacaraudio.com
Termpro, db drag racing, spl meter, spl car audio, loudspeaker systems, wayne harris (http://www.termpro.com)
United States Autosound Competition International (USACi) (http://www.soundoff.org)

Those are the main organizations around here. Look at the calenders and see when shows are. Probably nothing posted yet as the season is over, but shows will start popping up in the spring time.

Also, check out the Team DOA subforum on CSCO. Team DOA - Car Stereo Classifieds (http://www.carstereoclassifieds.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=74)

We post about shows there too.

Stereo competitions are rarely advertised on the radio/tv. They are mainly through word of mouth.

sacsking916
11-03-2011, 08:40 PM
www.mecacaraudio.com
Termpro, db drag racing, spl meter, spl car audio, loudspeaker systems, wayne harris (http://www.termpro.com)
United States Autosound Competition International (USACi) (http://www.soundoff.org)

Those are the main organizations around here. Look at the calenders and see when shows are. Probably nothing posted yet as the season is over, but shows will start popping up in the spring time.

Also, check out the Team DOA subforum on CSCO. Team DOA - Car Stereo Classifieds (http://www.carstereoclassifieds.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=74)

We post about shows there too.

Stereo competitions are rarely advertised on the radio/tv. They are mainly through word of mouth.

bunch get posted in the competitors corner of SMD also. :uhoh:

thegreatestpenn
11-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Radio stations charge too much for airtime so don't look for events there. But all majr forums have a competition/event section. I know I post every event I've had here on ca.com

stereo_luver
11-04-2011, 07:00 PM
The reason I started this was to see what interest there was in competing. 2010 did take it's toll on MECA with the BS that went on after finals. I'm not saying who was right or who was wrong or if there was anything at all to be upset about. I'm just asking who competes and who will continue to compete. I was always in the wings watching, listening and talking to enthusiasts in audio be it car or home. I decided to start competing just this year and see what I had in my system. I did pretty good if I must say so myself for the first year out in the lanes. **** fire I won the PA State finals as well as my own State of Georgia. I wasn't PA State Chamption since I wasn't from there. But I entered hoping to get some feedback and some competition to better myself. I was in the area and figured WTF lets do this.

I love music. I love a good quality system be it in a car, truck or home. My reference system at home is something I really enjoy and I'm a member of a group of folks that likes to demo some killer gear. But I see car audio competitions dying off. If you have a good system and have the desire to be better why wouldn't you want to be part of an orginization that does this for the better of the hobby?

Chuck

pro-rabbit
11-04-2011, 07:07 PM
Many things contribute to the low numbers at many shows. Almost all shows across the country have taken major hits and many are now cancelled. This goes for car shows as well not just audio shows.

Texas is one of the few places that still have decent turn outs. If you cross the boarder into mexico they do it big every year and every show.

The rising gas costs, loss of jobs, troubling economy, and many other things always hurt hobbies. This being a hobby and you can get by with owning the product or going to shows, means it is one of the very first things to get cut out of a budget when funds get tight.

RAM_Designs
11-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Radio stations charge too much for airtime so don't look for events there. But all majr forums have a competition/event section. I know I post every event I've had here on ca.com

Facebook too. :D

RAM_Designs
11-04-2011, 07:18 PM
I had a great time doing little local comps a few years ago...met a lot of nice people, most of which from the forums. It didn't hurt that I got 1st in my class every time. :D

JerryEllis
11-04-2011, 07:37 PM
i build and compete in FCBC (for competitors by competitors)
i have a single 15 which has me in 200 md because of my racing seats and no headliner
my new highest average is a 150.3
FCBC has three runs that you do back to back and they are as follows:
1st- kick for 15 seconds
2nd- window for 30 seconds
3rd- head for 45 seconds
and you HAVE to use music
i am tuned to 31 hz so i play i luv your girl by the dream
my sub is an fi btl UFO
my amp is an american bass 200.1 and my box is 4.7 cubes with one 6 inch areo but i really need to go with an 8
all knukonceptz wire and 3 extra 1000 amp batts
and just one 250 amp at 1200 rpm alt
grounds ran everywhere
oh and its my daily driver.. i beat on it alllllll day long :)
finals is this weekend in litchfield KY and can't wait to compete!

TaylorFade
11-04-2011, 07:48 PM
seems to me you guys are talking more SQ/SQL than you are SPL burps. most guys i know dont want to go to a comp with there daily drivers when they get put up against a guy who has perfected his burp system. makes it much less fun for first time guys.

This is preobably the main reason for lack of new blood. Not everybody has the drive to build a "comp" setup. But, how else do you do it? I've been saying for a while that there should be frequency classes. 30hz, 40hz, 50+ whatever. But with that said, the guys who win.. will continue to win. It doesn't matter what rules you change or add.

This is laughable when it comes to USACi. Their "entry level" class is Stock 0-600. I won't tell you how much I put into my first year's build, but it was way outside of the realm of "entry level," and I got my *** handed to me. They really need to have the winners of that class move on every year. If you win finals in that class, you shouldn't be eligible to compete in it the next year. I mean, that one team won that class like 7 years in a row. WTF? Really?

Anything can get loud if you put the time into it.

You just have to drive to shows..don't have to compete or anything like that, just go hang out and have fun.

This was the point of this year's build for me. Taking Pyle to world finals? Lmao. I did a respectable number and came home with a trophy with $200 worth of subs.

I ALWAYS make a point to talk to the newer guys and help if I can. I mean, I'm nobody, but I heard from some non-competitors that they don't go because eveybody there is a **** and talks ***** and brags about how loud they are, etc. It's a competition, yes. But that doesn't mean that this whole ballgame isn't supposed to be fun. I love burping my little CRX and stomping some braggart's ***.

Sometimes, if I know a newer guy is there and wants to run my class, I'll step aside and run higher power class so that it's a little more fair. Because honestly, pretty much my whole state knows Stock 0-600 is my M-O so they don't bother even building for that class. Lol.

Louisiana_CRX
11-04-2011, 07:55 PM
i used too but im getting out of it...i may still throw something together and show up at a show every now and then for the fun of it...but for the most part im selling off all my big stuff

VisceralSound
11-04-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm a poor college kid when I spend my money on my car audio, most times I buy things without thinking thus making me poor till next pay check, but then when I get everything I buy put in I enjoy it while I can, If your could even save up about 400-500 dollars you can get a pretty good starter system, right now my 12" alpine type R is just right for me, I just need to upgrade to the big 3, then my wires since it pounds at its optimal volume, but my power drains then its just kind of loud not really pounding.

pro-rabbit
11-04-2011, 08:10 PM
I'm a poor college kid when I spend my money on my car audio, most times I buy things without thinking thus making me poor till next pay check, but then when I get everything I buy put in I enjoy it while I can, If your could even save up about 400-500 dollars you can get a pretty good starter system, right now my 12" alpine type R is just right for me, I just need to upgrade to the big 3, then my wires since it pounds at its optimal volume, but my power drains then its just kind of loud not really pounding.

Sounds like you should invest $25 into a volt meter to keep an eye on drop to ensure you don't damage anything. Very small investment that will save you hundreds.

pimpnyou204
11-04-2011, 08:21 PM
I would compete/attend but there's only 1 comp in fla a year from each organization.

Louisiana_CRX
11-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Sounds like you should invest $25 into a volt meter to keep an eye on drop to ensure you don't damage anything. Very small investment that will save you hundreds.

and a security system

VisceralSound
11-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Pretty sure its a wiring issue, I think I can't for the life of me remember what gauge wire I have I think its 8 gauge, anyways I have my Type R wired to 2 ohms on an alpine mrx-m100 @1000watts, probably too much power being drawn at that watts for my 8gauge. The volt meter is on my todo list though.

pro-rabbit
11-04-2011, 08:25 PM
I would compete/attend but there's only 1 comp in fla a year from each organization.

There are more then that with in driving distances of Florida I'm sure. I didn't check last years scheduling though.

sacsking916
11-04-2011, 08:30 PM
i just enjoy driving out to them and meeting new people. next year im hoping to venture into more than dbdrag/bassrace. hoping that if iasca comes to cali then i will be doing some of that, and maybe even try out some meca classes if there are some somewhat closer to me.

TaylorFade
11-04-2011, 09:05 PM
I would love if I had any option other than USACi within 300 miles. I'd really like to do BassRace.

pieper88
11-04-2011, 09:23 PM

Pretty you're not correct on this one. Just a simple search on termpro showed 2 in the month of June alone.

wenn_du_weinst
11-04-2011, 09:27 PM
To be honest I don't enjoy competing and shows. Biggest reason I just tipped my hat after I got knocked off the hill. I'd rather stay home then go to a show anymore.

pimpnyou204
11-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Pretty you're not correct on this one. Just a simple search on termpro showed 2 in the month of June alone.

Yes they come in June 1 was Mecca and the other was iasca(?) but one doesn't even do a show in fla their in Tennessee and I'm not drivin 12 hours to go to a show for 6 hours max..

I went to the small one u counted and the other I wasn't able to go to. But if u know more upcoming do tell as I would be there.

pro-rabbit
11-05-2011, 12:03 AM
I drive much more then 12 hours for shows and I don't compete any longer(retired). When i did I went all over the US... literally.

snoopdan
11-05-2011, 01:10 AM
If MECA would learn how to promote shows, maybe people would show up.

dirtysouth31
11-05-2011, 06:34 AM
When was this? BTL?

last sunday at landstown bestbuy,triple slug btl also..first meca show of the season

pimpnyou204
11-05-2011, 10:33 AM
I drive much more then 12 hours for shows and I don't compete any longer(retired). When i did I went all over the US... literally.

Well now everyone is in the same job class as car audio or money bracket as some people. And driving at $4 a gallon even in my coupe I'm still looking at a huge gas bill and hotel stay and that don't even count my friends car.. I think a better promotion and representation of the organizations would allow ppl to give a better turn out IMO. 1 show per organization kinda shows a small amount of interest in the fla region and I have been to many local small shows and seen huge suv installs burp boxes hitting 155+ and even a 165 and couple 160+ sealed on the dash.

More shows more interest IMO...

mbrooky
11-05-2011, 10:43 AM
I would love if I had any option other than USACi within 300 miles. I'd really like to do BassRace.

^^^THIS! I'm with ya brother...i miss bassracing :(

ideal concepts
11-05-2011, 10:44 AM
I took the year off cause of $$, or lack of. Also not as many comps in Va as there use to be. When fund allow gonna finish building

wenn_du_weinst
11-05-2011, 10:45 AM
If MECA would learn how to promote shows, maybe people would show up.

If they would find a way to make the shows not boring as hell more people would show up as well.

Dirtrider4eva
11-05-2011, 10:46 AM
ive only competed once this year. next year im trying to find some more shows in the wisconsin chicago area.

Team TH (Donny)
11-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Our team competes in MECA. Last year I only attended about 6 or 7 events due to lack of finances though. Phil Rowe from the team won first place at MECA World Finals in S3 class with 151.9 db.

bgowdy31
11-05-2011, 11:42 AM
i compete in FCBC, its a ky comp. more less like a daily system/db drag kinda thing. im bout give meca some thought and try to get into the S2 class
seeing that Team TH (Donny) above is in S3 doing a 151+ lol

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

ive never burped mine so i dont know what it will do on a full tilt bass tone

Phoenix Risen
11-05-2011, 12:05 PM
meca can be a little boring, but thats what the people are there for. and as far as getting into s2 because someone is doing a 51 in s3... there are 150+ cars in pretty much every class in meca. im slowly working on mine now :naughty:

bgowdy31
11-05-2011, 12:17 PM
ugh lol. well i guess ima have to start working on a 50. i think i could get close with better encloser or i could do a wall and prolly get it pretty easy. but ima cheap fvck lol. im happy with my numbers i only have like $700 total in my system.

wenn_du_weinst
11-05-2011, 12:17 PM
I meant all comps not just meca.

bgowdy31
11-05-2011, 12:21 PM
oh ok well in do in ky

OmegaBunny
11-05-2011, 08:37 PM
I'd compete because I don't know the rules and there are no comps in my area. The rules issue is easy to overcome but I really don't have time to drive 200+ miles to compete.

Maybe I'll buy a two mic termlab and host my own event. :)

snoopdan
11-05-2011, 08:46 PM
omg only a 151 in street 3? so much for there being much competition in the lanes anymore.

pieper88
11-05-2011, 08:50 PM
omg only a 151 in street 3? so much for there being much competition in the lanes anymore.

A bunch of people couldn't/didn't show up for finals this year.

snoopdan
11-05-2011, 08:58 PM
A bunch of people couldn't/didn't show up for finals this year.

apparently. We used to do 155's in our sleep in that class just a couple of years ago. Oh well, MECA fail is MECA fail.

tommyk90
11-05-2011, 10:10 PM
apparently. We used to do 155's in our sleep in that class just a couple of years ago. Oh well, MECA fail is MECA fail.

Remember everything is at the headrest now, and no more maxi/multiple fuses. :)

155's were possible all day in S1 back in 2005-2006. Not so much anymore.

But you are right a little bit. 151 in S3 is definitely low. I did a 154 last year in S3.

Matt A
11-09-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm just wondering who here competes? I mean do you build just to have what YOU think is a nice system? Or are you building to compete? From what I'm seeing there are fewer people going to events and competing. The support for car audio is lacking to say the least. How many here actually go and attend events? If you don't compete what is holding you back?

Chuck

I just got into competing this year... Db drag is pretty big in Ohio as far as competition organizations go but every now and then u get usaci, iasca, or meca events.... Your from GA and i know they have a lot of multi point events down around there... and most people might just not want to spend the money to compete because as far as db drag/idbl/outlaw etc goes, the more money u have the better (not with bass race tho which just flat out fun)

centergod79
11-13-2011, 08:17 PM
I'm trying to get TEAM BEETEM big in DB Drag, I have 4 vehicles on the team now, my one teammate scored a 146.7 in a meca show, which in a db drag comp could be up to a decibel higher, or lower,, I'm at my personal best with 145.9, but I only run out the trunk, not sealed off, with rear facing woofers, basically a traditional set-up. I'm trying to do what everyone says is impossible which is clear a 150 out the trunk. I currently have 2 15" american bass VFL Competitions (old school ones, but not the extremes, the biggest ones) on a memphis 4kw. I have tried so many different thing to get this 150 and it's driving me crazy, I change so much and go up a db, it pisses me off. I'm trying to figure out how to start a discussion on this forum about my new equipment. I just purchased yesterday the new american bass vfl comp 15", they look off the hook, and I bought an 1100.1, I'm thinking this is my answer to my goal, either way, once I hit what I can hit with a tgraditional setup, I'm doing a totally different application, maybe a wall, then im coming after the 160 club

watlington3
11-20-2011, 11:14 PM
I want to compete but I cant find any to go to in the augusta ga area.

Team TH (Donny)
11-21-2011, 09:42 AM
I want to compete but I cant find any to go to in the augusta ga area.

Move or travel unfortunately can fix that.. That was our trouble here for a while until our team talked with MECA and now we have judges and a director to host MECA shows. Next year I believe we are hosting a show at least once a month around our area. Last year we got started late in the year and only had about 5-6 shows we hosted.

pro-rabbit
11-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Move or travel unfortunately can fix that.. That was our trouble here for a while until our team talked with MECA and now we have judges and a director to host MECA shows. Next year I believe we are hosting a show at least once a month around our area. Last year we got started late in the year and only had about 5-6 shows we hosted.

I hope you have some decent turn outs for your shows. Most of the meca shows in the midwest never seem to have much for participation, which is disappointing to every org out there not just theirs.

thegreatestpenn
11-21-2011, 10:29 AM
I hope you have some decent turn outs for your shows. Most of the meca shows in the midwest never seem to have much for participation, which is disappointing to every org out there not just theirs.

We do okay in ohio for meca. We had 13 events last year and all were worth us judges' time/effort from an attendance standpoint. But I'm trying to get events booked earlier so ppl can know sooner. We should be having at least 15 events for 2012

pro-rabbit
11-21-2011, 10:34 AM
We do okay in ohio for meca. We had 13 events last year and all were worth us judges' time/effort from an attendance standpoint. But I'm trying to get events booked earlier so ppl can know sooner. We should be having at least 15 events for 2012

I wish you the best for next and that is great that your trying to bring back shows. I went to a few in Missouri and surrounding areas and was disappointed a bit.

Don't get what I was say wrong or twisted, it is not just Meca with attendance issues...just about all orgs have issues right now. A few areas are still thriving though.

CAT MAN
11-21-2011, 10:45 AM
i compete in the local 0-600 trunk a/b stock class. so far im the loudest .lol

chefhow
11-21-2011, 11:28 AM

What event is that?

I have been promoting shows for 2 years now and have been getting increased numbers in SQ year over year. This year I am hosting 6 with a regional final (hopefully) and I do it on my own at a buddies shop in Baltimore. In Pa we have Zenner who does 3-5 shows a year in the Pittsburg area and 12Volt Daves does 1-2 in Eastern Pa. Between us we have a pretty good amount of people come out and support us and MECA. Last year we brought IASCA back into the area and had GREAT success on both the SQ and SPL side and will be doing it again. There is room for growth, its just slow.

chefhow
11-21-2011, 11:31 AM
I have reached out to Meca a few times but we never could make arrangements for anything. I hate to see shows die off no matter what org or who runs them. No matter what a show fading away hurts the hobby/sport as a whole.

I understand what you are saying, but I'd be willing to be if you reach out again Steve would be willing to work with you, especially since he is trying to build up the area where you are with Mark Eldridge and they guys in that area. They have been working hard to get things going for the past couple of years and seem so close to breaking thru.

pro-rabbit
11-21-2011, 11:36 AM
I understand what you are saying, but I'd be willing to be if you reach out again Steve would be willing to work with you, especially since he is trying to build up the area where you are with Mark Eldridge and they guys in that area. They have been working hard to get things going for the past couple of years and seem so close to breaking thru.

I may try to again. I have to see what all I have going on in 2012 and how big of a part I will play with other orgs.

I need to make sure if I do offer my services that I can offer sufficient time to his org and not just be a "back burner" situation.

Team TH (Donny)
11-21-2011, 11:37 AM

We do pretty good. For just our first year (with late start..) our shows varied from anywhere from 15-20 competitors to 30+. It's enough to get by covering the minimums and a little bit more. I believe the required equipment (PA system, Tables, Tent, Etc..) is now payed off. We already had the TL and software. I'm thinking once our area is more known for MECA with our future plans of frequent events will keep people interested in coming around.

tommyk90
11-21-2011, 11:42 AM
What event is that?

Carl Casper in Louisville. That's where the first MECA show was. Used to be a great show with 100+ competitors, now it's lucky to have 30.

We do pretty good. For just our first year (with late start..) our shows varied from anywhere from 15-20 competitors to 30+. It's enough to get by covering the minimums and a little bit more. I believe the required equipment (PA system, Tables, Tent, Etc..) is now payed off. We already had the TL and software. I'm thinking once our area is more known for MECA with our future plans of frequent events will keep people interested in coming around.

I know I'm going to try to make it down for at least one of your shows to show some support. 3 hour drive for me though so I may have to trailer the S-10.

Team TH (Donny)
11-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Carl Casper in Louisville. That's where the first MECA show was. Used to be a great show with 100+ competitors, now it's lucky to have 30.

I know I'm going to try to make it down for at least one of your shows to show some support. 3 hour drive for me though so I may have to trailer the S-10.

That would be awesome. The team are working on a few vehicles that will be great this year. Can't say a whole lot even I don't know what all they have out planned out. One is going for 160+ db using two DC 9k's. Another is doing a few more major changes for the S3 class.. Our team is growing as well so I have yet to meet a few new members. I believe we have around 10-15 members. Would be great to see you around and get to meet the team and have fun hanging out!

thegreatestpenn
11-22-2011, 05:16 AM
That would be awesome. The team are working on a few vehicles that will be great this year. Can't say a whole lot even I don't know what all they have out planned out. One is going for 160+ db using two DC 9k's. Another is doing a few more major changes for the S3 class.. Our team is growing as well so I have yet to meet a few new members. I believe we have around 10-15 members. Would be great to see you around and get to meet the team and have fun hanging out!

I'm making it to effingham at least once this year, maybe more if I don't have a lot of conflicting show dates. 6hr drive but its all for the love

Team TH (Donny)
11-22-2011, 06:32 AM
I'm making it to effingham at least once this year, maybe more if I don't have a lot of conflicting show dates. 6hr drive but its all for the love

Sweet! Sounds good. Would look forward to seeing ya. When that time comes you should PM me whenever your on your way over.

Ninesvnsicks
11-22-2011, 07:06 AM
I don't compete I just want a nice system but I'd love to know what I'm hitting.

chefhow
11-22-2011, 08:06 AM
I don't compete I just want a nice system but I'd love to know what I'm hitting.

Not sure how far you are from Syracuse, but the guys at Syracuse Customs are going to have at least 1 IASCA/DB Drag show that I know of.

Ninesvnsicks
11-22-2011, 09:31 PM
Not sure how far you are from Syracuse, but the guys at Syracuse Customs are going to have at least 1 IASCA/DB Drag show that I know of.

2hrs :(

snoopdan
11-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Carl Casper show is no more Tommy so you should have plenty of time on your hands to drive anywhere :laugh:

I used to compete when I was still living in the US but now my jeep sits in storage collecting SPL dust.

tommyk90
11-23-2011, 01:33 AM
Carl Casper show is no more Tommy so you should have plenty of time on your hands to drive anywhere :laugh:

I used to compete when I was still living in the US but now my jeep sits in storage collecting SPL dust.

Yeah, I know it's no more. :( Pretty bummed as I always looked forward to coming down and hanging out with my kentucky buddies.

kushy_dreams
11-25-2011, 03:10 AM
I went to my first Meca event back in October and loved it. I was surprised at how friendly everyone was and how easily they were willing to give advice. Even my girlfriend said she had a good time

What held me back for so long was the cost and distance and my school/workload. The closest events to me are 2+hrs away and gas prices arent helping either. To top that off I had to miss a day of work, which ***** when you are a college student. Between gas and entry fees I'm already up over $100, then add food and/or extra passes or clinics and the cost runs up real fast. I want to come out to more this year, but this is my senior year and I need to make sure I get good grades and focus on my schoolwork.

I do think that the local shops and even some big box retail stores should host more local events, because this would allow people to get their foot in the door or even just the thought about competing. I called my local shop all summer asking if they were going to do any events and they told me they werent sure and to call back at a later date. I dont like the people at my local shop because they are all arrogant and condescending so I'm not sure if they advertised any Meca events. But I really think that Meca does need to get the local shops to help them advertise as they dont seem to do a very good job of advertising.

SmokeyDog
11-25-2011, 11:37 AM
i compete during the SPL season, in the northeast NESPL, And TNESPL 50+ events entered this pass season done a few usaci when there around,
i go to every show set for the northeast, its what i really enjoy to do. wish everyone with a system would come out to compete would make it so much better

kushy_dreams
11-25-2011, 07:27 PM
i compete during the SPL season, in the northeast NESPL, And TNESPL 50+ events entered this pass season done a few usaci when there around,
i go to every show set for the northeast, its what i really enjoy to do. wish everyone with a system would come out to compete would make it so much better

IMO it would be great for more to at least show up and offer more support and raise awareness for the sport/hobby. It seems like it really is a small niche in the market.

sacsking916
11-25-2011, 07:57 PM
IMO it would be great for more to at least show up and offer more support and raise awareness for the sport/hobby. It seems like it really is a small niche in the market.

car audio competition isnt really big, its big to us that know it, but think of all those that have no clue. great example, couple months ago another competitor and myself got into the final round of bassracing. usually there is a little crowd around watching but nothing big. well the venue was a car show. we tied the first run and more people gathered around, tied another time and more people gathered around. by now we had about 40-50 people watching just asking whats going on, from ages 10-50years old. tied once more and by that time there were 50+ people watching trying to learn what was going on. the younger guys were asking how can they get there cars in it as well, unfortunately it was too late to register and all that for them to join in. but told them to check out where and when the next show was and low and behold, 2 of the guys in the crowd showed up. if more people knew about it and what it was all about instead of thinking its just immature "kids" who like loud music. i love to compete, its fun to me and i enjoy meeting the people. i have no problem driving 4-5hrs one way for a show. matter of fact in a few weeks i will be driving to mylows10's shows they are going to be hosting in a few weeks, 4.25hrs one way. gotta love the car audio

kushy_dreams
11-25-2011, 08:30 PM
car audio competition isnt really big, its big to us that know it, but think of all those that have no clue. great example, couple months ago another competitor and myself got into the final round of bassracing. usually there is a little crowd around watching but nothing big. well the venue was a car show. we tied the first run and more people gathered around, tied another time and more people gathered around. by now we had about 40-50 people watching just asking whats going on, from ages 10-50years old. tied once more and by that time there were 50+ people watching trying to learn what was going on. the younger guys were asking how can they get there cars in it as well, unfortunately it was too late to register and all that for them to join in. but told them to check out where and when the next show was and low and behold, 2 of the guys in the crowd showed up. if more people knew about it and what it was all about instead of thinking its just immature "kids" who like loud music. i love to compete, its fun to me and i enjoy meeting the people. i have no problem driving 4-5hrs one way for a show. matter of fact in a few weeks i will be driving to mylows10's shows they are going to be hosting in a few weeks, 4.25hrs one way. gotta love the car audio

Very true here. I was really surprised at how many guys there were in their late 20s to mid 30s with their families there that had been competing for upwards of 10-15years. I thought it would be like the stereotype you mentioned, with mostly immature kids. Complete opposite though. I think thats what made it more enjoyable then I thought it would be, more mature and educated people that know what they are talking about and are just out there to have some fun and interact with other cool like minded people.

thegreatestpenn
11-25-2011, 08:31 PM
I went to my first Meca event back in October and loved it. I was surprised at how friendly everyone was and how easily they were willing to give advice. Even my girlfriend said she had a good time

What held me back for so long was the cost and distance and my school/workload. The closest events to me are 2+hrs away and gas prices arent helping either. To top that off I had to miss a day of work, which ***** when you are a college student. Between gas and entry fees I'm already up over $100, then add food and/or extra passes or clinics and the cost runs up real fast. I want to come out to more this year, but this is my senior year and I need to make sure I get good grades and focus on my schoolwork.

I do think that the local shops and even some big box retail stores should host more local events, because this would allow people to get their foot in the door or even just the thought about competing. I called my local shop all summer asking if they were going to do any events and they told me they werent sure and to call back at a later date. I dont like the people at my local shop because they are all arrogant and condescending so I'm not sure if they advertised any Meca events. But I really think that Meca does need to get the local shops to help them advertise as they dont seem to do a very good job of advertising.

shops that want nothing to do with events will not help someone else promote their events. I've tried that with no luck, but i have a new strategy :). But i'll have plenty of events for you to come to my man. First one of 2012 will prolly be march 18th

kushy_dreams
11-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Its kind of a shame that there are shops out there that don't support events. Its like a sporting goods retailer that doesnt endorse pro sports or a sports car dealer that doesn't support any kind of motorsport. Very counterproductive to the sport.

I wish that event would fall on my spring break which is usually the first week or so of March so then I'd have a better chance of being able to make it. I cant wait to go to another event.

thegreatestpenn
11-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Its kind of a shame that there are shops out there that don't support events. Its like a sporting goods retailer that doesnt endorse pro sports or a sports car dealer that doesn't support any kind of motorsport. Very counterproductive to the sport.

I wish that event would fall on my spring break which is usually the first week or so of March so then I'd have a better chance of being able to make it. I cant wait to go to another event.
most shop-owners are haters of others that they may feel are taking money away from them. so if there's an event at someone else's shop or being promoted by someone other than themselves they won't support it. They consider it competition. They have good reason (exposure to brands they don't sell taking business away from them) but that's thinking on a pretty small level instead of taking the big picture into consideration.

Early march usually has bad weather in Ohio (tried that last year and there was snow :() so march 18th had to do. and with SBN the 24th/25th i couldn't do any later than the 18th

sacsking916
11-25-2011, 08:47 PM
Very true here. I was really surprised at how many guys there were in their late 20s to mid 30s with their families there that had been competing for upwards of 10-15years. I thought it would be like the stereotype you mentioned, with mostly immature kids. Complete opposite though. I think thats what made it more enjoyable then I thought it would be, more mature and educated people that know what they are talking about and are just out there to have some fun and interact with other cool like minded people.

yeah i was shocked at how many older guys there are out there. but its better, cause they are nice and willing to help you out almost all the time. my teammates are all older than me and i am kinda glad, cause i can learn from them. i take my kids out with me sometimes. they run around and have fun at the shows and play with other kids that happened to be out there. i too know how it is when the LOCAL shop wont do any events. the one 30 miles away does a bunch, but the ones in town say "we aren't into that" as i say "you are into new customers though right" they dont reply usually after that ha ha

mlstrass
11-26-2011, 02:40 PM
ive only competed once this year. next year im trying to find some more shows in the wisconsin chicago area.

csco in the Team DOA section, we have a sticky for all the local shows for Northern IL/WI. DbDrag site will list all of Jeremy's shows in your area also.

mlstrass
11-26-2011, 02:42 PM
IMO all the orgs should have some sort of "bass race" format where anyone can compete, be competitive, and have fun. My set up is more of a demo vehicle, not built for burps, so bass racing is where it's at for me...

chefhow
11-29-2011, 12:04 PM

You should come to an SQ show, most of us are "older", well into our 30's-40's(for the most part) and do this to get away from the wife and kids for a day.

My wife came out to a show I was hosting last season and was shocked at how nice, mature and friendly everyone was. She had a stereotype in her head and it was completely turned around. She still has no desire to spend more than an hour on a Sunday in a parking lot but she atleast comes out now.

sacsking916
11-29-2011, 12:52 PM
You should come to an SQ show, most of us are "older", well into our 30's-40's(for the most part) and do this to get away from the wife and kids for a day.

My wife came out to a show I was hosting last season and was shocked at how nice, mature and friendly everyone was. She had a stereotype in her head and it was completely turned around. She still has no desire to spend more than an hour on a Sunday in a parking lot but she atleast comes out now.

was the same thing mine said too. another member on here had his wife at the show also and those two just hung out the entire time. now whenever i talk about going to a show she always asked if she will be there. i do know that come saturday i will be taking my 2 kids and my girl with me. they have fun just as much as i do. yes it is needed to get away from them you have a good point. but thats where the 2+ hours of driving one way work for my advantage ha ha