PDA

View Full Version : Help with ported enclosure tweaks

Audion00b
11-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Info changed check below.

DukeNut
11-02-2011, 12:41 AM
The PA site recommends 2 cft. your dimensions yield a net of 3.06 cft tuned at ~26hz. also i assume you meant port height of 10.5 rather than 11.5.

Moble Enclosurs
11-02-2011, 12:32 PM
The thing is, with this particular driver, you are going to have a small bandwidth by putting it in a standard ported design that is optimal. Any recommendation can work for a simple port calculation, but attention needs to be payed to the phase of the response and in this subwoofer, it would actually work much better with a sealed enclosure to be perfectly honest. Yes, output will suffer, but quality will be much better. The reason? You have to tune this driver pretty low to get a smooth response, NOT spl response, but for timing and such for accurate reproduction. The actual best passband for this sub is 25-62Hz, and as we know, the smaller the tuning, the smaller the bandwidth. Not that it will not sound good in a ported box, but not as good as in a sealed (preference not included). Not to mention that driver excursion will be exceeded in most bass reflex designs for this subwoofer at max power levels. It does require quite a large compression area as well, so tuning may be a factor when dealing with that excursion control. Just some thoughts about the driver of choice on my part.

Audion00b
11-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Ok, I actually have some good news lol.

First off, I re-measured the space, and I will be needing a up-firing enclosure. (The measurements are 11 inches tall, by 37 inches wide, by 16+ inches deep.) The depth can be increased/decreased.

Here is the amplifier that I have, it is just a low-end mono amp: http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_28137_Boss_Audio_R1100M.aspx

Also, Also, the company gave me a call yesterday, notifying me that the item I had bought was on severe b/o and they gave me 89.99 in store credit. I want to use the 89.99 to buy another 12" driver from their website that will fit my amp, and a ported enclosure perfectly.

Here is a list of the drivers I can get: http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/products/18/Car_Subwoofers/Component_Car_Subwoofers_Show_All_Descending_Price .aspx?RowIndex=0&PageNum=1&SortField=1&ShowAll=True&SortOrder=1&NS=Diameter|12&Price=$50+-+$100

Which one would you recommend? I'm thinking about the:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_18978_Boss_Audio_LAC129D.aspx although I Don't exactly like boss drivers ;)

And finally, THANK YOU! you have taught me tons of things even though we have barely talked lol. I love picking up knowledge from people who know what they are talking about!

DukeNut
11-03-2011, 03:34 PM
those dimensions provide a gross internal volume of 2.8 cft. if you don't like boss, i wouldn't buy it. they have a large amount of subs on their site. i'm not sure what your budget is but with your store credit you may want to check out the alpine swr1243 or 1223 for $139. it would do well in that box ported to 32~34hz. my big concern is the amp as its rated at only 250rms. i think you should look at something rated higher. let us know your budget and we can point you in the right direction.

Audion00b
11-03-2011, 06:38 PM
That is the problem, I already have the amp, and the measurements are for the trunk, like I said the depth can be increased or reduced.

This is for a family members car, I personally like sealed, but they don't. My budget is $89 max from that website, as I have already received money for everything & they don't want to spend more.

So basically, I need one of the subs in the 80-89.99 range from that link that will work decent with my 250 rms/1100 max amp & a ported enclosure.

mylows10
11-03-2011, 06:50 PM
where in nor cal are you ,also i'd go with either the pioneer or p-2 fosgate if you cant or wont spend more money

Audion00b
11-04-2011, 02:37 PM
I typed up a semi-long reply that I can't remember all the details, but It is still pending for moderator confirmation?