PDA

View Full Version : Industrial CNC machine at disposal. Need DC lvl4 18 box

regizzle
10-30-2011, 01:42 AM
So yea... I have this million dollar plus machine belonging to my uncle and hes allowing me to use it to make a box.... However i have no idea how to make a box :<

Needs:
Box for an Lvl 4 18

Space:
Its a 1996 Tahoe... pretty sure anything fits ^_^
Willing to go as big as you think

Port and tuning:
I wanted to use aero ports :O
And tuning is ___ atm.

Sooooooooooo I need to know dimensions so i can cut them on the machine and stuff. I wanted to make it a flush mount. Port toward trunk Sub firing up. I just don't know placement of sub nor the port and size of port. Tuning is open for discussion. I listen to a lot of dubstep and many times it dips into the lower hertz so i was thinking maybe 28? but i'm not sure what this sub likes in terms of tuning nor box size. Again open to everything

If all goes well, with help from someone... i can start making boxes and selling them with uncommon designs and inlaid design etc. should be fun if any1 is actually interested.

Chaotic_Thought
10-30-2011, 02:02 AM
Really honestly there is nothing as far as box building that a CNC can do that a single human with power tools can not do faster. The only benefit to a CNC would be having a gantry mill so you can do mass production.

regizzle
10-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Hard to believe that to be honest and i rather have a machine that is precise do the work in a few minutes rather than measuring and cutting for 2 hours. and its multiple machines. One Cuts to measurement, one inlays the detail etc.

Cuts the wood:
Holzma 5 Series | Stiles Machinery (http://www.stilesmachinery.com/holzma/5-series)
http://www.stilesmachinery.com/includes/files/assets/images/large/1281705629_Bild04_HPP_530_P-rgb.jpg

Does everything else:
Homag BOF Venture Series | Stiles Machinery (http://www.stilesmachinery.com/homag/bof-venture-series)
http://www.stilesmachinery.com/includes/files/assets/images/medium/1278704532_BOF%20Venture%2016%20%2850%20Year%20Jub ilee%20Edition%29.jpg

However back on topic. Need box lol.

RAM_Designs
10-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Using aeroports, good luck getting a low tuning like that while using adequate port area(dual 6" aeros in this case), and not having to modify the ports any. The need port length will be longer than what PSP provides, and you'll need to buy yourself some thin wall PVC and maybe some 90 degree elbows to get the port length you need.

Chaotic_Thought
10-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Those are built for cabinetry production, so yes they are faster while cutting. However factor in the time spent drawing in CAM, posting CAM, setting tools, setting stops, and actually running the machine, i would take a power tool.

regizzle
10-30-2011, 12:39 PM
cut rite optimizes the sheet instantly, then you just cut the wood in a few minutes. 2nd machine is anything detail related. and im not sure what "Cam" is but my uncle uses autocad to design and when you make cabinets or closets yes it takes a little to make a design but 30 minutes to an hour realistically with his 20+ years experience.

Chaotic_Thought
10-30-2011, 01:12 PM
CAM is a general term for software that writes the program for CNC, CAM = Computer Aided Manufacturing. CAD is computer aided design/drafting.

regizzle
10-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Ah well, Thank you for the lesson :P but it still doesnt put me any close to having a box for my subs haha

-01limited-
10-30-2011, 02:25 PM
Pm box designers on it and talk to some about some specs and prices. They might even be able to sketch them up for you.

regizzle
10-30-2011, 03:36 PM
who is "box designers"

Imtjnotu
10-30-2011, 03:52 PM
look in the Vendor section.....Ram Designs, Surreal, Moble enclosurs

regizzle
10-31-2011, 07:11 PM
bumparoo

wenn_du_weinst
10-31-2011, 07:16 PM
cnc>panel saw>table saw>skill saw>jigsaw
as far as accuracy and cut straightness even when in a hurry

Phoenix Risen
10-31-2011, 07:18 PM
you were given your answer above. hit up ram designs or one of the others for the design you need.

pro-rabbit
10-31-2011, 07:47 PM
CNC machines are nice to have around, but to be honest unless your doing a lot of work they are not always worth the hassle they can generate. If you have access to one though then that is great and can become a great way to earn some side cash. However, if you plan on doing that you need to learn the aspects of designing/engineering to ensure your customer get what they want. Just because they provide you with what they think is right or what they want does not always mean it is what needs to be built.

Since you have access to a CNC I would do a nice slot port of some type. Wouldn't be and my difficult to put together. Just ensure you have proper bracing, port area, and a over all design and go at it and see what you think.

wenn_du_weinst
10-31-2011, 07:49 PM
I'd do a horn....

:)