PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!!!!

joelrwise
10-26-2011, 06:20 PM
I own an MR2 Spyder, and i recently purchased some subwoofers, and an amp!
SUB - Boss NX109DC Dual Voice Coil 4ohm 1300 watt rms 2600 watt peak
AMP - Boss Phenom PH5000D 5000 watt peak mono amp
Wired for a 4 ohm load 3600 watt peak.
Also tried 1 ohm load for full 5000 peak but got same results.

(sorry it wouldn't let me post the urls..)

There's not much room in the back of an MR2 for subwoofers, so i had to make due with what i had, they subs aren't in a box, there just sticking out of a wooden panel.

I know they should be sealed, and i plan on going and making a sealed box to fit, but before i go through all that trouble i just want to know me not having the box done right is causing them to sound as bad as the do......

These subs should put out alot of bass, and sound, but they rattle and get very very distorted when turned up.... i'm fairly sure i have all the wiring done right, maybe theyre just crappy subs.... help?!

Z1NONLY
10-26-2011, 06:33 PM
What kind of box are you using now?

joelrwise
10-26-2011, 06:47 PM
I'm not using a box.... i just mounted them in a peice of MDF 3/4" thick...
Is this why they sound bad ?

itsblown
10-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Them not being in the box could cause issues. Just to be sure I would take it out and sit it down and let it play free air at low volumes to see if it distorts. What you may be hearing as distortion could just be several rattles or the fact there not in the box. If they still sound strange Hook them up to a dmm and see what impedance they are if you cant get a steady reading on the dmm then thy are blown

Z1NONLY
10-26-2011, 07:12 PM
There's no real control of the woofers with your setup. They are probably just flopping around and it looks like there are big enough gaps to cause some serious cancellation. (air from the back of the woofer interfering with the air from the front of the woofer.)

Fixing that problem will require a good bit of work. However, you may also have a phasing issue. Double check your wiring on the woofers to ensure they are both in-phase.

joelrwise
10-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Well there running on a 4ohm load, and i doubt their blown because theyre brand new.

>>SQL<<
10-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Do you really think you have 5,000 or even 3,600 watts?

Have you thought that perhaps the answer is you have really crappy equipment installed in a poor manor?

Can you return that stuff back to the flea Market from which it came?

That would be your best bet but since most flea markets do not take returns you need to focus on building a box that will fit into that opening you have.

Have you looked around on websites like sounddomain to see how other people installed systems in that same car?

You can pay people on this board to design you a box that will fit you car then you would have a plan on what you need to make.

The way you are trying to do it is wrong.

Also on its best day that amp is around 200 watts RMS (5,000 why don't they just say a Million watts????)

kushy_dreams
10-26-2011, 09:43 PM
No offense and not trying to be a d ick, but Boss doesn't make good products. They function and work but thats about as good as they get. They target their products to new and/or young uninformed audio enthusiasts.

To top off the lack in product quality, by the looks of it, you are running them in an infinite baffle, which they are not intended for. The enclosure is the most important thing to consider when building a sound system.

joelrwise
10-26-2011, 10:33 PM
i'm completely aware that Boss does not make the best products, and i'm also aware that the amp isn't probably putting out as many watts as advertised, but i'm not shooting for the most expensive or super clean sound, just a little more back end.... telling me to buy new equipment doesn't answer my question..... will the setup i had, not enclosed, work, or do i need to get them all sealed up tight for them to sound decent?

ItsAJeepThing
10-26-2011, 11:15 PM
So if you were going to make a sealed box for them anyways why not do it and see if it helps? Then come back if you still have a problem. Also make sure your gains are set for the amps rms rating not max.

>>SQL<<
10-26-2011, 11:57 PM
i'm completely aware that Boss does not make the best products, and i'm also aware that the amp isn't probably putting out as many watts as advertised, but i'm not shooting for the most expensive or super clean sound, just a little more back end.... telling me to buy new equipment doesn't answer my question..... will the setup i had, not enclosed, work, or do i need to get them all sealed up tight for them to sound decent?

I answered your question right here...

you need to focus on building a box that will fit into that opening you have.

Have you looked around on websites like sounddomain to see how other people installed systems in that same car?

You can pay people on this board to design you a box that will fit you car then you would have a plan on what you need to make.

The way you are trying to do it is wrong.