PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Deadening Opinions

Kangaroux
10-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Alright so instead of using traditional deadener on say, for example, my doors, I was wondering if I could just use several coats of fiberglass to help fight both rattle and flex at the same time. On top of that I maybe put some bed liner to just add some extra rigidity, and then on top of the bed liner some spray on rubber to make the surface a bit more absorbent so my mids don't sound weird. Now, the question is, how will doing this to my doors affect my resonant frequency in the vehicle? The reason I ask this is because for my setup I want to really focus on low end, and as it stands the vehicle I'm looking at (pathfinder) tends to be very peaky at 50-60hz. The last thing I want to do is increase that peakiness.

tl;dr Will using fiberglass instead of traditional deadener increase my vehicle's resonant freq.?

wenn_du_weinst
10-23-2011, 11:54 AM
it will pop loose and rattle more then likely. and cost more then deadener.

Kangaroux
10-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Well my main concern here is cost and I figure it's a lot easier just to put some coats of fiberglass on then going through the process of laying down the deadener, then cutting some MDF or whatever to brace it with

whitedragon551
10-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Well my main concern here is cost and I figure it's a lot easier just to put some coats of fiberglass on then going through the process of laying down the deadener, then cutting some MDF or whatever to brace it with

Cost? We all know you hug AT's nuts. Doesnt get much cheaper than that.

I would just go after your traditional deadener, CCF, and MLV treatment.

wenn_du_weinst
10-23-2011, 12:04 PM
fiberglass sticks to metal poorly, the vibrations and heat/cold will pop it loose very easily.

Kangaroux
10-23-2011, 12:21 PM
fiberglass sticks to metal poorly, the vibrations and heat/cold will pop it loose very easily.

Then what would you suggest would be a good way to fight against both flex and rattle. Normally I would really only care about the latter but with the amount of just low end pressure this is gonna create I feel like deadener won't really do much

CAT MAN
10-23-2011, 12:29 PM
fiberglass will not work like a deadiner/dampener when it comes to keeping the shound in .

Kangaroux
10-23-2011, 12:34 PM
My concern isn't keeping the sound in it's to stop rattling and flex. I plan on hitting around a 150 at 30hz once everything is all said and done, so there is going to be a lot of pressure being created.

CHEMMINS
10-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Cost? We all know you hug AT's nuts. Doesnt get much cheaper than that.

I would just go after your traditional deadener, CCF, and MLV treatment.

Pretty douchebag response for a mod.....especially when we are not in the dome. Could have just said to go with traditional deadener/ccf/mlv.

06goat
10-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Jesse I would get some angle steel Weld a few pieces the length of the door on the inside. Angle steel because it wont bend, rather than just flat pieces, understand? If you dont want to weld it then you can use some kind of two part epoxy/glue. That would make your doors much more rigid. Then you could add the deadener on top of that.

whitedragon551
10-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Pretty douchebag response for a mod.....especially when we are not in the dome. Could have just said to go with traditional deadener/ccf/mlv.

It was perfectly on topic. He mentioned cost as a main concern. I just reinforced the fact that his go to brand was cheap.

Kangaroux
10-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Jesse I would get some angle steel Weld a few pieces the length of the door on the inside. Angle steel because it wont bend, rather than just flat pieces, understand? If you dont want to weld it then you can use some kind of two part epoxy/glue. That would make your doors much more rigid. Then you could add the deadener on top of that.

Considering I've never done welding before nor do I know someone with the tools I think the epoxy would work best. So you're saying use a rigid epoxy and do a couple layers over the door and then put deadener on top of that?

06goat
10-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Yes, use epoxy to hold the steel on the door. I havent done this but its a thought.

CHEMMINS
10-23-2011, 12:57 PM
It was perfectly on topic. He mentioned cost as a main concern. I just reinforced the fact that his go to brand was cheap.

As it is written, your comment is personal opinion. And it is also a stab at the OP. I would think a moderator would have a little more couth than to stoop to the average dome conversation in a topic where bashing people is supposedly forbidden.

whitedragon551
10-23-2011, 12:58 PM
As it is written, your comment is personal opinion. And it is also a stab at the OP. I would think a moderator would have a little more couth than to stoop to the average dome conversation in a topic where bashing people is supposedly forbidden.

Please point out where I posted an opinion? Everything Ive stated is 100% factual. I never once bashed the OP either. Just pointed out the fact that he likes AT alot.

CAT MAN
10-23-2011, 01:03 PM

ok dude. take it off this thread into pm. right now your post are of no concern to the OP.
Whitedragon as a mod you should seek above and move on

Kangaroux
Please point out where I posted an opinion? Everything Ive stated is 100% factual. I never once bashed the OP either. Just pointed out the fact that he likes AT alot.

Which has 0 importance to this thread and quite frankly is completely irrelevant. For the sake of having found a pretty good solution I would like to have this thread closed because you can't seem to keep your thoughts to yourself.

CHEMMINS
Whatever......play your lil word game. It is blatantly obvious your intention. I refuse to muddy up the OP's thread any more. If it was anyone else other than a mod saying it, something would have been said or done about it.

CAT MAN
10-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Whatever......play your lil word game. It is blatantly obvious your intention. I refuse to muddy up the OP's thread any more. If it was anyone else other than a mod saying it, something would have been said or done about it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/brittcool20/gifs/tumblr_le5t7uMwOk1qafcji.jpg