PDA

View Full Version : 18 audioque hdc3 what hz box

Casey Harmon
10-20-2011, 01:06 PM
i have a 18 AQ and im geting a box built what should i get it built to i was thinking 36hz what do u all think

Kangaroux
10-20-2011, 01:08 PM
What airspace? Are you going to be using it for a daily setup? How much power and what kind of music do you like listening to?

Casey Harmon
10-20-2011, 01:17 PM
i have a db 2000.1 amp and its a daily set up will go to one or two comps just to see what im hitting and im getting the box built so i have no numbers to give him so i was looking for ideas i just want to get the best out of the sub as i can

Kangaroux
10-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Well the HDC3's definitely prefer a higher tuning if you want to get the most out of it. I think you should be fine with tuned to 36.

Buck
10-20-2011, 02:10 PM
I like 34.

brodeisel
10-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Buck you always like them tuned lower

Moble Enclosurs
10-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Proper compression says to go with 41.35Hz, so even 40 would be fine. Yes, they do require higher tuning as kangaroux mentioned.

pro-rabbit
10-20-2011, 07:32 PM
From my hands on experience(if that counts for anything considering AQ/DD lol) tuning higher with them yield great SPL results and horrible musical performance. However, tuning 30-35 depending on application works amazing for them. The T/S listed on the site are way off and do not look for them to change them or give you more accurate ones as that won't happen.

Buck
10-20-2011, 07:35 PM
Buck you always like them tuned lower

I know. IMO subs shouldn't play over 55-60 hz. I just think lower tuning sounds better. I have messed with quite a few AQ's in real life and that has been my favorite tuning. Yes they will play low even tuned high, but they don't sound good doing it.

wenn_du_weinst
10-20-2011, 07:35 PM
no they do not require high tuning, they require it for break in that is all.
They play flatter and sound better tuned lower to help compensate for their low xmax. I actually have experience with AQ and DD's plenty of it, I maybe ran 20 different boxes for my 12's.
Small chamber, huge port, tune low, that is how dd's and aq's like it.
They best box for them is an abc box how ever

Buck
10-20-2011, 07:37 PM
no they do not require high tuning, they require it for break in that is all.
They play flatter and sound better tuned lower to help compensate for their low xmax. I actually have experience with AQ and DD's plenty of it, I maybe ran 20 different boxes for my 12's.
Small chamber, huge port, tune low, that is how dd's and aq's like it.
They best box for them is an abc box how ever

Since when do HDC3's have low xmax?

wenn_du_weinst
10-20-2011, 07:38 PM

since forever?

bhsdriller
10-20-2011, 07:38 PM
I liked my 15 when I had it...box was tuned to 36hz

pro-rabbit
10-20-2011, 07:39 PM

Depends on which version of the HDC he is talking about. In truth they were not designed for large excursion until this last version which were discussed/designed while I was there.(Not saying I had anything to do with that though...just pointing out that I was there during that time.)

wenn_du_weinst
10-20-2011, 07:41 PM
I'm talking the original hd3c's, I forgot they changed them again.
the ones with the dd/soundstream baskets on them.

TrlcKed_OuT
10-20-2011, 07:42 PM
i have mine in a 6FT^3 @ 32hz and its WAY loud but very musical!! I power it with a Audioque 3500.

Moble Enclosurs
10-20-2011, 07:43 PM
You know........it seems that everything is great on the low 30s. That is what everyone says anyhow. Every time I mention anything higher, everyone seems to chime in and bring that number right back down to the low 30s. So, the point is, why should anyone ask anymore if everyone says the same for every driver? Here is a solution to all, if you want to be the same......everyone use 30-35hz for daily. That is all. Problem and question solved. Sorry, I just find that amusing is all.

pro-rabbit
10-20-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm talking the original hd3c's, I forgot they changed them again.
the ones with the dd/soundstream baskets on them.

Also American Bass and a few others use the same baskets... I won't go into more detail about which brands have similar/same subs lol...it is obvious enough.

wenn_du_weinst
10-20-2011, 07:45 PM
I always go by what is flattest responding. I'm tuned to 56hz right now on my sub stage. You will very very rarely see me recommending to tune a box in the low 30's

pro-rabbit
10-20-2011, 07:49 PM
You know........it seems that everything is great on the low 30s. That is what everyone says anyhow. Every time I mention anything higher, everyone seems to chime in and bring that number right back down to the low 30s. So, the point is, why should anyone ask anymore if everyone says the same for every driver? Here is a solution to all, if you want to be the same......everyone use 30-35hz for daily. That is all. Problem and question solved. Sorry, I just find that amusing is all.

I hope this was not directed at me?

I'm basing mine of personal knowledge of this exact driver and how they perform(I was employed by AQ/DD for a while being over Tech/Customer Service for AQ). I was not basing it off of "everything should be tuned the same" idea. I don't agree with that idea what so ever. There any many things to take into consideration for tuning, sub/port placements, and design. However, this was a generic question and my answer was as well.

wenn_du_weinst
10-20-2011, 07:51 PM

I'm basing mine of personal knowledge of this exact driver and how they perform(I was employed by AQ/DD for a while being over Tech/Customer Service for AQ). I was not basing it off of "everything should be tuned the same" idea. I don't agree with that idea what so ever. There any many things to take into consideration for tuning, sub/port placements, and design. However, this was a generic question and my answer was as well. I gave up on trying to explain that your ''tuning freq'' means jack but the simple answer always wins

pro-rabbit
10-20-2011, 07:56 PM
I gave up on trying to explain that your ''tuning freq'' means jack but the simple answer always wins

Mobile and I have went back and forth before. If we have a disagreement it is normally from one of us misunderstanding the other one is all. I can see where if you glance through many of the tuning questions on this forum(and many other forums) you find everyone saying low 30s(or even lower).

I have found that regardless of building to a flat response or not, you have to cater to what the customer wants. I have had customers who want very peaky high tuned enclosures and some who didn't care about anything over 35 hz...so in the end as with everything in audio, personal preference wins out every time.

wenn_du_weinst
10-20-2011, 08:01 PM
I won't design for other people I get sick of the '' I need it tuned to 25hz so I can hit lows cause other wise I set my ssf 5hz under tuning and wonder why I can't hit under 35hz. I am tuned to 56hz and still hit to single digit freq's

pro-rabbit
10-20-2011, 08:03 PM
I won't design for other people I get sick of the '' I need it tuned to 25hz so I can hit lows cause other wise I set my ssf 5hz under tuning and wonder why I can't hit under 35hz. I am tuned to 56hz and still hit to single digit freq's

Yep, I get that some times. However, I can normally educate them to understand what they really need. The ones I hate are the I need for this sub in this space...and no matter how many times you tell them it won't work they won't listen.

wenn_du_weinst
10-20-2011, 08:05 PM
I got that a lot as well, the best was when I got the box all designed to his specs. he built it then yells at me for it not fitting cause he measured wrong. Oh well. I'm not good at explaining things anyway. it's best for me to not need to rely on my teaching skills

Moble Enclosurs
10-20-2011, 08:07 PM

I'm basing mine of personal knowledge of this exact driver and how they perform(I was employed by AQ/DD for a while being over Tech/Customer Service for AQ). I was not basing it off of "everything should be tuned the same" idea. I don't agree with that idea what so ever. There any many things to take into consideration for tuning, sub/port placements, and design. However, this was a generic question and my answer was as well.

No, not at any single person. Just in general. But I must say also, that enclosure physics play a part in the performance at those specific mentioned requirements. For instance, if you always design enclosures for them the same fashion, you will always notice the same trend of what works or not. if you explore different methods of enclosure design, and likely more proper ones, then you may notice that tuning is not much of an important factor in overall response. If you limit yourself to a conventional form, you will find repetitive results. That is all I was saying. Dont take it personal.

Moble Enclosurs
10-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Mobile and I have went back and forth before. If we have a disagreement it is normally from one of us misunderstanding the other one is all. I can see where if you glance through many of the tuning questions on this forum(and many other forums) you find everyone saying low 30s(or even lower).

I have found that regardless of building to a flat response or not, you have to cater to what the customer wants. I have had customers who want very peaky high tuned enclosures and some who didn't care about anything over 35 hz...so in the end as with everything in audio, personal preference wins out every time.
Very true my friend! And that is ok though.

Moble Enclosurs
10-20-2011, 08:15 PM

Exactly. I will mention optimized performance to people everytime. if they want something different, and it will work. I will explain the losses and gains involved so they can get a comparison and when a decision is made, it is made by them. I can only recommend on my part, but my recommendations are different than manufacturers for a reason, so sometimes when I recommend something, people think "if it is a recommendation, it has to be off". This is only true when personal preference does not match the optimmum specifications. To me, it is the personal preference that creates the error in the design performance, but since our ears are designed to blend audible error into normality, we get used to mistakes made in audio. This is the reason why some people cannot enjoy a flat response. Even if it is what is best for musical output.

Moble Enclosurs
10-20-2011, 08:20 PM
I must say, I love talking with all of you. I think a lot of important topics can be discussed between us and you guys are very respectful and knowledgeable and I appreciate that.

wenn_du_weinst
10-20-2011, 08:24 PM
I have a very very hard time explaining how things work and respond with smaller words that I know every body knows. I used to get a lot of ''huh's'' when I was designing and some one asked me to explain why their box was tuned way higher then another person's design. the biggest problem I have with man. recommendations is the the total absence of cabin geometry and size. if I raise my box 1.5'' in my car I lose all response below 28hz. How would a general recommendation realize that?

wenn_du_weinst
10-20-2011, 08:25 PM
I must say, I love talking with all of you. I think a lot of important topics can be discussed between us and you guys are very respectful and knowledgeable and I appreciate that.

I deff do not mind speaking with people that can argue or discus in a mature manor. I do how ever lose all of my give a **** as soon as some one starts with disrespect and immaturity. I havn't seen much of that lately though.

Moble Enclosurs
10-20-2011, 08:27 PM
So, OP.....what tuning are you going to use? LOL

Moble Enclosurs
10-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Here you go...take all the recommended frequencies, 32, 35, 36, 40, 56, add them, then divide by 5. Use that as your tuning frequency. :) No, seriously though, I cannot deny that for some physical reason 30-35 Hz works great for quite a few people. So, as long as you have it designed correctly to your personal specs, you will be ok.

Buck
10-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Too many OCD box designers ITT :fyi:

Moble Enclosurs
10-21-2011, 12:04 AM
What's that saying....haters gonna hate? Are you hating buck? Because I found that comment to be a little rude, personally. I take my job very seriously and with a lot of passion. I though you respected that of all people. After what I just said about respect and then this? I am actually surprised. Even if it was a joke.
There are OCD people all over this forum, but there is a difference between that and paying attention to detail. I'm proud for what I know and share. Just some thoughts.