PDA

View Full Version : Help with gain below 40hz

i2ain2thunder
10-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Hey guys I have this: Dayton Audio RSS315HO-44 12" Reference HO DVC Subwoofer 295-467 (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-467)

Have it in a 1.2 cu ft sealed enclosure right now. getting 700wrms in a Cavy trunk.

I am happy with the sound quality and satsified with output down to about 40hz.
Below 40hz though I am not satisfied with the output....Ideas? Would a larger sealed help me accomplish some more gain down in the lows, or should I switch it up to ported or something else?

Thanks in advance!

Danometal
10-13-2011, 10:28 AM
I modeled that sub on WinISD Beta a few months ago, and its response curve sealed leaves a lot to be desired. However, it loves a small ported enclosure. I can't remember what size, but it was unusually small, like not really any bigger than your current sealed box.

Danometal
10-13-2011, 10:32 AM
You know, you could attach an external areo port or just a simple PVC port to the outside of the 1.2 cubes box. You just may be golden with that. If you like it a lot more than what you have now, you can see to building a new box later.

i2ain2thunder
10-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Yeah I've heard this as well that they enjoy a tiny ported enclosure. I'm thinking about giving it a try, but to be honest I almost never make ported enclosures they're either some form of bandpass, horn, or sealed. So I'm not very good at figureing out what to tune the port to. I hear sticking to around 32hz is good for most setups.

I'm going to be building a new enclosure no matter what as it stands I don't have a test box at all so I'm just gonna keep this one around.

Danometal
10-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Yeah I've heard this as well that they enjoy a tiny ported enclosure. I'm thinking about giving it a try, but to be honest I almost never make ported enclosures they're either some form of bandpass, horn, or sealed. So I'm not very good at figureing out what to tune the port to. I hear sticking to around 32hz is good for most setups.

I'm going to be building a new enclosure no matter what as it stands I don't have a test box at all so I'm just gonna keep this one around.

From what I remember about the WinISD plot, it seemed to drop off hard below 30 hz, even tuned low, so I would model it to figure out what tuning would get it to reach as far down as possible. I want to say like 28 hz. A 32 hz tune would make it kinda peaky around 40 -45 hz.

After having a 36 hz box, and a 31 hz box for a couple different subs, I found myself far happier with my current 25 hz box (but you would need the Dayton HF version to tune that low).

i2ain2thunder
10-13-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm thinking you might be about spot on there I'll start doing some rough designs and see what I come up with.

kushy_dreams
10-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Try adding polyfill to your current sealed setup, then try bigger sealed or low tuned ported.

i2ain2thunder
10-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Making a small ported enclosure tuned that low is going to be pretty rough actually port length would have to be super long or else I'd have to have a tiny width. So I think I'm going to try this design here, I've been itching to build this for a while anyway just to see how it performs.

INVERTED WEDGE DESIGN (http://www.decware.com/newsite/invertedwedge.htm)

Why So Cereal?
10-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Currently running 2 HO 10s. in a 2 cube box before all displacements. tuned to 29-30hz about 0.7per sub after all disp. gets down low very well. doesnt sound too good above about 70-80hz though.But I can play down 24hz tones and it still sounds good (not that there's much music to listen to down that low anyway). Small box tuned around 30 is great for me.

i2ain2thunder
10-13-2011, 05:15 PM
I'm realizing now that part of the lack of depth has been due to breakin I was listening again on my breaks and it seems to be digging more and more the more I listen. I was really leaning toward sealed or horned with these subs, I'm going back and forth between that inverted wedge and twin Deathboxes. The benefit of the inverted wedge is that my amp still throws shite tons of power at these things I can't turn the gain past 45% right now without compromising the subwoofer integrity, so the increased damening and powerhandling benefits of the inverted wedge are a nice feature. The deathbox though is also made for higher power handling as it keeps pressure completely evenly dispersed accross the cone, also the fact that it is tunable after being in the trunk means I have the capability to bring the tuning down lower if needs be and right now it's looking like needs might just be. both the inverted wedge and twin deathboxes would couple some serious bass to the corners of my trunk and theres some nice pockets there I will likely extra dampen the output should be insane either way with the coupling.