PDA

View Full Version : are screws or nails needed in the box?

jsluss17
10-12-2011, 11:04 PM
or is wood glue really all you need to make one? its not a huge box it's 1.8 cubic feet so idk if ill need all that support

dross93ranger
10-12-2011, 11:05 PM
I use screws, and remember to predrill

UnderFire
10-12-2011, 11:14 PM
I use 3 inch staples, and screws on any sides I want to be removable.

Kangaroux
10-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Some people swear you don't need them but I've always put them on.

kushy_dreams
10-13-2011, 12:16 AM
I like to use 1 5/8 coarse thread drywalls screws.

slvrado28z
10-13-2011, 12:18 AM
screws with liquid nails

slim2fattycake
10-13-2011, 12:23 AM
or is wood glue really all you need to make one? its not a huge box it's 1.8 cubic feet so idk if ill need all that support

Let me actually answer your question. No you don't need screws or nails. They are for pressure to hold the panels together until the glue dries. You can use clamps if you want. I have done a 12 cubic foot net box without nails or screws. But normally now, I use titebond and clamps until I show some brad nails in the peices.

jsluss17
10-13-2011, 12:35 AM
thanks guys<3 for sealing the corners to make sure its air tight would acrylic caulk work? thats the only kind i have is there really a difference between silicone and acrylic?

i2ain2thunder
10-13-2011, 12:37 AM
Let me actually answer your question. No you don't need screws or nails. They are for pressure to hold the panels together until the glue dries. You can use clamps if you want. I have done a 12 cubic foot net box without nails or screws. But normally now, I use titebond and clamps until I show some brad nails in the peices.

thats exactly what I do. glue, clamp, nail and move on to the next side. All the strength and hold comes from the glue so the nails/screws are just there to hold'er steady till she dries. Now if you ever need to remove a side closed cell foam and good quality coarse screws are a good choice and as said above remember to predrill. Remember to remove dust from the enclosure before finish as it can collect in the mechanical parts of the sub and make the heat situation and venting worse(granted not by much) And always make sure you have a 100% airtight seal on every side use ample glue/silicone/foam/or resin whatever it takes and then you have yourself a useful enclosure for years of enjoyment to come.

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

thanks guys<3 for sealing the corners to make sure its air tight would acrylic caulk work? thats the only kind i have is there really a difference between silicone and acrylic?

Acrylic caulk will do just fine sir

i2ain2thunder
10-13-2011, 12:42 AM
moar tips, it is never a bad idea to alternate sides to one inside one ouside edge that way when you have the enclosure close to being together theres always one edge of a side that is free for ease of fitting. Remember sawblades usually take up 1/8 inch keep that in mind when cutting and try to make the cuts as exact as possible as wood isn't very malable.

Even if someone is doing every cut with a jigsaw and the enclosure looks janky as all get out. If the enclosure is made to proper spec and airtight it will always outperform 90% if not all prefab boxes out there so we all recommend building your own even if it gets frustrating.

RAM_Designs
10-13-2011, 12:58 AM
I like to use 1 5/8 coarse thread drywalls screws.

This

hispls
10-13-2011, 01:12 AM
If your pieces aren't fitting airtight with just a thin bead of wood glue you may consider screws or nails for some added hold. If you're getting a good glue joint it will be airtight.