PDA

View Full Version : Vipers not making sense!

ErnMcCracken
02-27-2004, 09:40 PM
Well if i have 100rms viper components and a ppi pcs 4x 80 watt amp, how is it possible they distort at only half gain and the lights inside the crossover go on? I put those vipers in the rear and will be looking to get some higher end components, it just bugs me cause i thought they would handle more power and sound alot beter.

desi_daru
02-27-2004, 09:43 PM
try turning the gain down a lil bit (gain is not volume, its ment to match the output of ur hu), and check for any bass boost ****

havoc06
02-28-2004, 12:01 AM
yea make sure your crossovers are set properly, and turn off all bass boosts like he said. THe more you turn the gain knob, that doesnt mean full crank is max power of the amp. Match the gain to the RCA preout voltage of your radio for the cleanest signal

helotaxi
02-28-2004, 12:03 AM
Also check that you have a high-pass crossover engaged for the channels driving the comps. It should be set somewhere in the neighborhood of 80-100 hz. The higher you set it the more power you can give the speakers before the mids distort.

As desi mentioned the most common reason for getting distortion out of speakers is feeding them a clipped signal. The gain is a level matching device. If it is improperly set, half way is generally way too high unless you have a very old HU with weak preamp outputs, the amp will clip and feed a ton of distortion to your speakers. That light is always on, and if you would actually read the responses to all your other threads on this exact topic you would have your problem fixed by now.