PDA

View Full Version : Does Elevation Affect TL Scores?

Bettr n' Revrse
09-24-2011, 05:50 AM
Hey guys I was just thinking the other day about SPL comps and how elevation would affect it... Its measuring pressure so I would find it really hard to believe that you could meter the same at see level as appose to say where I live... Diesel performance is my other hobby so I know in racing for instance as well as many of you know to get a lower time up here in the mountains is hard as hell cuz of this... So does it affect anything and if so how?

snoopdan
09-24-2011, 06:11 AM
Yes. More space physically between particles in the air = harder to compress.

Bettr n' Revrse
09-24-2011, 06:15 AM
Yes. More space physically between particles in the air = harder to compress.

How much so as in .5 DB's or like 10? And Im guessing its lower the higher you are?

9515ROB
09-24-2011, 09:25 AM
the temperature and humidity have a big roll so i dont see why elevation wouldnt do the same.

I would only think it would be a couple tenths to a db at most. But you never know

Bettr n' Revrse
09-24-2011, 07:52 PM
Up!

Dirtrider4eva
09-24-2011, 07:57 PM
so sayy... having the air conditioning running full blown and maybe a few sprits from a spray bottle before a run could increase your TL score?

wenn_du_weinst
09-24-2011, 08:02 PM
so sayy... having the air conditioning running full blown and maybe a few sprits from a spray bottle before a run could increase your TL score?

Havn't you ever wondered why Dante's volvo has an A/C in the window?

Dirtrider4eva
09-24-2011, 08:05 PM
nope. dont know who that is brah.
i guess ill be needing to test it out.

thevic24
09-24-2011, 08:07 PM
nope. dont know who that is brah.
i guess ill be needing to test it out.
Alan Dante....

use to be the loudest guy in the world....(may still be??)

wenn_du_weinst
09-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Team rip rock beat him last I heard. Supposedly A-team is going to take rip rock down with dc's neo sub lmao, been saying that since the sub came out and still about 8db difference

Bettr n' Revrse
09-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Alan Dante....

use to be the loudest guy in the world....(may still be??)

Dont think he is anymore...

wenn_du_weinst
09-24-2011, 08:09 PM
**** if you don't know who Dante is I guess no hope for Alma Gates then.

mylows10
09-24-2011, 08:10 PM
my truck is .5 db's less in sac than in salinas.salinas is at sea level and sac is a few few hundred ft above.also when its hot i'll lose 3-6 tenths

Bettr n' Revrse
09-24-2011, 08:15 PM
my truck is .5 db's less in sac than in salinas.salinas is at sea level and sac is a few few hundred ft above.also when its hot i'll lose 3-6 tenths

D@mn that much with just a few hundred feet...

Dirtrider4eva
09-24-2011, 08:17 PM
i find that interesting. next time i get some TL time, ill do a test to see what does what...

mylows10
09-24-2011, 08:19 PM
yea it sux but i did do a 152.8,152,7, and a 152,6 back to back this last feb in sac ,it was cool it shocked everyone at the show ,was hush hush about my set up til the show ,then i smoked everyone in my class

sacsking916
09-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Yes elevation does make a difference. What difference it will make all depends on the setup. I run my ac on while i do my bassrace runs. And how do you not know who alan dante is? Craig butler? Alma gates?

SPLaudio
09-26-2011, 07:04 PM
prob is running ur ac dosent help cause it runs down ur batterys. colder is better yes but also when ur motor is colder(first starting) ur alt puts out more voltage :)

RAM_Designs
09-26-2011, 07:13 PM
prob is running ur ac dosent help cause it runs down ur batterys. colder is better yes but also when ur motor is colder(first starting) ur alt puts out more voltage :)

Put a small a/c under the hood to keep alts(s) cold? :D

groundpound4200
09-26-2011, 07:16 PM
I always crank the AC right until my run then turn it off. But yeah, elevation will effect SPL

sacsking916
09-26-2011, 08:31 PM

with my car i lose about .1-.2v when i turn the ac on. but in my case i have to, to get the alt to charge. without my ac on during my runs then my voltage stays low. thanks honda for the stupid, alty wont work til theres a load

Canaan
09-26-2011, 10:18 PM
with my car i lose about .1-.2v when i turn the ac on. but in my case i have to, to get the alt to charge. without my ac on during my runs then my voltage stays low. thanks honda for the stupid, alty wont work til theres a load

On thing that may be changing your SPL more than the AC is your AC-vent position.
I'm willing to bet when you turn the AC to hi, it changes your vent position to recirculate. That chances the airflow in the vehicle.

Next time you test SPL, try putting the vent setting to defrost and floor. ***HINT-HINT***

Also, changes in barometric pressure, humidity and temperature will actually change the tuning of your box and resonance of the vehicle. This accounts for the changes in SPL.

Bettr n' Revrse
09-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Good info guys... I dont have any chance to meter here I just like to learn things... If I do Ill know a couple little tricks just like racing lol

sacsking916
09-26-2011, 11:16 PM
On thing that may be changing your SPL more than the AC is your AC-vent position.
I'm willing to bet when you turn the AC to hi, it changes your vent position to recirculate. That chances the airflow in the vehicle.

Next time you test SPL, try putting the vent setting to defrost and floor. ***HINT-HINT***

Also, changes in barometric pressure, humidity and temperature will actually change the tuning of your box and resonance of the vehicle. This accounts for the changes in SPL.

Thanks will try that one of these days. When I do my runs the AC is on low but never thought of facing it downward.

galacticmonkey
09-30-2011, 02:31 PM
Everything affects it. Many competitors from up North bring their cars down to SBN in Daytona (and it gets hot on that blacktop), and Ive heard quite a few complain how their numbers arent the same down here in the heat.

But just as Snoop said, the air is thinner up high, so its harder to pressurize.