PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help with playing dvds

doubskie
09-06-2011, 09:40 PM
So i just got a used Boss BV7980 in dash and it wont play dvds.

there is a dvd stuck in the unit and wont come out. if i press eject and look inside where the disk goes, i can see it come up as if the unit is about to push the disk out but then it drops right back down where it was without even trying to push the disk out. when i try to play the dvd that is in the unit it loads for about 2 minutes then says "ERROR". so im thinking of taking the top metal covering off and then pressing eject it to see if there is something blocking it or if something is bent. but i dont wanna take all that time if it pointless. so does anyone know what could be wrong with it? everything else seems to work just fine.

>>SQL<<
09-06-2011, 09:56 PM
I think this could be the problem...

"So i just got a used Boss BV7980"

anyway your best bet is to take it apart.
These things are crazy how they are put together.
The people that put them together have MUCH smaller fingers than we do.
I would say that if you are not real familiar with taking apart, and more importantly putting electronics back together then this might be real hard for you.
You will need a precision set of screwdrivers as most of the screws are very tiny.
I took apart a Kenwood Flip out DVD to repair a bad motor and was able to do it.

Good Luck

doubskie
09-06-2011, 10:28 PM
so when i take it apart, if i dont see anything blocking it, ect... what should i replace? and how do i get the part

>>SQL<<
09-06-2011, 11:15 PM
2 things - you just have to take it apart and see what the deal is.

1)If you cannot figure it out then take some pics and post them here so we can look

2) WTF did I get groaned for on my previous post????????????
Buying a used DVD HU without testing it is never a good idea and especially applies to a lower end unit such as Boss.
I wrote a very good anwser to the OP. Seriously I think I fk-ing hate some of u MF's on this FN board!!!

I have a good amount of experence with car audio equiptment and I FN help out a lot. God FN help I mention any of the ** Audio Equipment I own, automatic FN groan for that. Grow the F up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /end rant

Now back to the OP - it is unlikely that you will find anyone here who has had the same problem so you just have to decide if you want to pay a professional (prob not worth it) or try it yourself. if you pay attention to wgat you are doing, and I like to dissasemble on a towel so anything that falls out will not roll off the table there is a 50/50 chance you can fix the problem yourself.

Do not forget, just because you get the stuck disc out does not mean the READ ERROR will go away (but most likely will IMO)

Again good luck.