PDA

View Full Version : Internal Amplifier Power

levisternberg
09-02-2011, 12:12 AM
I want to run 4 speakers:

2 infinity 5032cf
2 infinity 9633i

I dont need a sub, so i feel that a head unit's internal amplifier will suffice. That said, I want to choose a head unit with the strongest internal amplifier on the market.
Any recommendations for an HU's that is particularly strong? Or are they all about the same.
What is the spec that defines its internal amplifiers power, is it 'power output' of the head unit in watts?

Thanks,
Levi

dragnix
09-02-2011, 12:18 AM
Why wouldn't you need an amp if you don't want to run sub? An amp will run those speakers better than any headunit can.

If you're on a budget then just get a decent four channel for the speakers. But trust me, it'll be better to power them with an amp and not the source unit.

levisternberg
09-02-2011, 12:22 AM
I was under the impression that power is more necessary for the low end, and I dont need to rock the whole street.. sure the speakers run better with an amp, but $250 better? Wouldn't I be better off putting more into a stronger head unit?

If I do go for an amp, will my signal be dirtied if I get a cheap one?

-01limited-
09-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Maybe about 12 watts per channel on a headunit. And thats pushing it.

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 AM ----------

I was under the impression that power is more necessary for the low end, and I dont need to rock the whole street.. sure the speakers run better with an amp, but $250 better? Wouldn't I be better off putting more into a stronger head unit?

You can find cheap 4 chans that will do all that for under 100 if you look around enough.

dragnix
09-02-2011, 12:26 AM

If I do go for an amp, will my signal be dirtied if I get a cheap one?

If you're paying 250 for a four channel to power those speakers, you're overpaying. You can find some really nice used amps that won't be "dirty" per se. I have a clean four channel i can sell you for cheap :D

UnderFire
09-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Even with an amp that ran 25ish RMS per channel made a huge difference for me, not just in the Loudness, but also in the overall quality, and clarity.

Spending 150$ on speakers to run off of HU power is just throwing it away, you'll see as soon as you amp them.

Fiendstolemyamp
09-02-2011, 12:31 AM
As far as the most powerful headunits go some of the Alpines have that power pack add-on available that ups them to 45 watts per channel. I haven't used one or anything but I remember someone on here uses it & said they were pleased with it.

dragnix
09-02-2011, 12:33 AM
As far as the most powerful headunits go some of the Alpines have that power pack add-on available that ups them to 45 watts per channel. I haven't used one or anything but I remember someone on here uses it & said they were pleased with it.

that's money that he can use towards an amp and it would sound better

Fiendstolemyamp
09-02-2011, 12:39 AM
that's money that he can use towards an amp and it would sound better Yeah, I agree. He asked the Question about headunits so I thought I'd mention it.

dragnix
09-02-2011, 12:44 AM
Yeah, I agree. He asked the Question about headunits so I thought I'd mention it.

something worth mentioning. I'm guessing it would cut down on the need for installation as an amp is? At least that would be the only reason I would consider it

05trailblazer
09-02-2011, 12:51 AM
first try it out with the hu n if u dont like the way they sound then look for n amp

dragnix
09-02-2011, 12:59 AM
eh, if he never heard a real system i'm sure he'll be content. It'll only when he hears it with an amp then will he not go back to using headunit power ;)

BnGRacing
09-02-2011, 02:26 AM
I dont need a sub, so i feel that a head unit's internal amplifier will suffice.
Levi

Every sound system needs a subwoofer. You you have a home theatre system or a set of nice PC speakers? There's a sub right? Bass makes the music have impact and sound rich. You don't have to terrorize the neighborhood with a trunk full of woofers, but I think adding a small woofer or even a self-powered system would be money better spent than on a HU with a somewhat adequate onboard IC.

If you have a home sound system of some sort, turn off the sub and listen. Turn it back on. Are you rattling stuff off of walls? No, but the music does sound more dynamic & is overall more enjoyable to listen to when the sub is on.

Twista89
09-06-2011, 04:50 PM
IF you let these guys talk you into installing an external amp then yea u might as well hook up some subwoofers as well. The guy above me is right and music does not at all sound right without some type of bass.

levisternberg
09-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Ok, just got the system, 4 infiniti speakers (2 5032cf's up front and 2 9633i's in the back) with a KDC-4051UR kenwood headunit. Sounds epic.. the kenwood even has a bassboost and double bassboost setting that really lets me hear it out of those 9633i's, more than enough bass.

However, when i try to get it loud, the kenwood shuts down, seems that the amp is getting to hot? Im guessing this is because thats more than the internal power amplifier can handle? Is this bad for the head unit or is it just a safety cutout.

I'm assuming buying an external amplifier will fix this. Is it because it bypasses the internal amplifier of the head unit?

TheUnderFighter
09-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Heh. I'm sure it sounds a world different... That's strange the HU is shutting down though. My Kenwood never did that. But yea, it's just a protection circuit most likely, stopping it from damaging anything. And yes, an external amp will bypass the internal amp. FYI, you could easily find a decent external amp used for around $100, which would make another world of a difference from what you have now.
And those bass boost settings will destroy your speakers over time.