View Full Version : 15" flipdown monitor
08-26-2011, 01:16 PM
Hey guys I just got a 15"in screen for my 08 dodge ram, and im needing some help on the install.
-general install info
Any and all help is appreciated!
08-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Only wire's it has is power, ground, and RCA's. You will need a piece or wood for your install so that your headliner doesn't sag.
08-28-2011, 10:36 AM
I have all the wire, but my problem now is how to mount this **** thing. My headliner has a big *** concave in it so I think I need to mount it to the cross member in the roof...
Double you know if there is a mounting kit for these?
08-28-2011, 11:19 AM
overheads generally come with a metal plate used for mounting....here is how I mount over heads.
1. Locate roof cross brace usually near the b-pillar
2 mask off large area around center of headliner with tape
3. Measure and mark the center of the headliner in two places on the masked area with a sharpie
4. Draw a line down the center of the mounting plate with your sharpie
5. Line your plate up with the center lines matching up and put four screws through the headliner in 4 of the holes not used to attached the overhead to the plate. Draw an outline of the mounting plate on your taped area with your sharpie. Then take a straight pick tool and poke holes in the headliner where the screw holes that mount the overhead to the plate are located.
6. Mark these holes locations with a sharpie
7. Glue speed clips to the back of each of these marked areas
8. Take your sharpie and mark an area of the plate outline that is about 3" wide and the full height of the plate
9. Cut out that marked area of the headliner with a razor knife.
10. Slide the mounting plate into the head liner and put screws threw the holes where you glued your speed clips to hold the plate to the headliner.
11. Take a few self tapping screws and screw the mounting plate to the roof brace.
12. Now after all your wires are run your overhead will line up perfectly straight as you screw it to the holes you poked with your pick tool.
I get made fun of by co-workers for doing overheads this way all the time because it takes a while but it is truly a bulletproof way of mounting an overhead monitor. Its solid and guaranteed to be directly center and pointing centered.
08-30-2011, 09:57 AM
Awesome tutorial man... now I ran into another problem yesterday, before I mounted it I checked to make sure it was connected right. On the back of my head unit (avh-p4200dvd) there are my rca ports... I have tried connecting it into every one but can get a signal on my monitor, wth, I figured hey it can be hard to connect 3 cables. I have all the setting correct on my radio but nothing seems to work. The monitor I have is a tview 15"flipdown monitor. I am stumped at this point.. I am almost ready to take it to my buddy at unique car audio and have them do it.
08-31-2011, 09:46 PM
are you sending audio up there? if so, why? unless you plan to use IR headphones. also should be able to plug your vid rca from the yellow 'vid out' port and source to it on the flip down and you should see it. if not, get the video on the pioneer, press anywhere on the screen while you're seeing video, and then press the tab button at the top there, IIRC it defaults to DVD on that deck, you need to scroll through (via keep pressing) till you see 'front' or 'rear' and it should send the video out to the flip down