PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of this box?

rbtrucking
08-21-2011, 06:27 PM
I had a custom box built by a guy I found in my area. He has amazing prices and I love the box I just wanted to know what some of the pro's thought. The specs are 1" baffle , spine bracing tuned to 35hz. shared enclosure. Except for front baffle all wood is 3/4mdf If ya like what ya see and your located in Connecticut the name of the guys company is 187 audio. Very nice guy I would highly recommend him! Here are some pics of the build. Let me know what you guys think.

Fiendstolemyamp
08-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Looks pretty nice, congrats.

>>SQL<<
08-21-2011, 06:30 PM
How does it sound?
It looks good to me but I do not know a ton about box design

disturbed471985
08-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Its sure does look nice but what does it sound like??? Also how many cf is that bad boy? Oh I just noticed why did they not use 45's????

rbtrucking
08-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Its sure does look nice but what does it sound like??? Also how many cf is that bad boy? Oh I just noticed why did they not use 45's????

3.5 cubic feet after port and spine displacement. It sounds amazing. By far the best box I have ever had. First custom though I have had about 4 prefabs. Heavy as hell too. This is actually pretty plain compared to what this guy has done. I urge you all to go check out 187audio.net and see the products page. Some of his boxes are just insane! Also what do you mean by 45's? Not familiar with that.

maljr1980
08-21-2011, 06:46 PM
it looks like a box, with carpet on it

disturbed471985
08-21-2011, 06:54 PM
This may explain what they are and how to make them - How To Make 45 Degree Corners (ported Box) - SMD Forum (http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/31274-how-to-make-45-degree-corners-ported-box/)

ThatChevyGuy
08-21-2011, 06:54 PM
45 degrees in the corners to reduce port turbulence and increase efficiency somewhat

disturbed471985
08-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Some swear by 45's some say its no big deal. All I know is I built 2 of the same exact same size boxes for the same subs. First one I did not use 45's cause I like u did not know what they were. Second box I used 45's and there was a difference. Reason the second box was built was due to port noise...

rbtrucking
08-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Ahh I see. Well I gotta say I never hear port noise and I have played it with the trunk open standing right near it to demo it for people I never hear any port noise. In the car either. Also let me tell you guys this box is solid i put a nickel on it standing up and played a heavy bass track it did not even fall over. I had a prefab once I was testing it out and i just put my amp on top of it because I didn't want to screw it down until I heard how it sounded. The box flexed soo bad that the amp fell off and cracked my dust cap.

disturbed471985
08-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Hey if you are happy with it then thats all that matters. Now go rattle something..

rbtrucking
08-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Hey if you are happy with it then thats all that matters. Now go rattle something..

I sure am I just wanted to hear the opinion of people who have allot of experience with box builds. I really have none, that's why I was curious.

disturbed471985
08-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Looks like a proper box should be built nothing special just a properly built box. Who cares what these experts say on this site they dnt know anything anyways LOL... I am just kidding e1

rbtrucking
08-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Ya the reason it looks a little plain is because I couldn't afford all the extras i had a limited budget. I hope everyone noticed the raised Diamond audio symbol on top. O ya I don't have pictures of the back but he also put 4 terminals instead of the usual 2 since the subs are dvc to make it easier if I ever wanna change the wiring without having to pull the subs! The terminals accept up to 8 gauge wire! He has terminals that accept up to 4 gauge as well!

Vossy
08-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Looks well built to me?

rbtrucking
08-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Sorry if I caused any problems with any of the vendors on here I wasn't really trying to advertise I just wanted opinions on my box and thought people might want to check out some other boxes this guy has built. Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes.

disturbed471985
08-21-2011, 08:38 PM
rabbit and don and them aint scared... LOL

rbtrucking
08-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Ya, I know Rabbit is mad cool!

disturbed471985
08-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Ya, I know Rabbit is mad cool!

Rabbit does some quality boxes no doubt and at a good price but IDK they got some on here a good dozen or so that can create some beautys. I just said Dons name as I have always admired his wrk. Over the years I have seen some of his boxes and he has built just some of the sickest boxes I have ever seen. Now I need to PM Don and Rabbit and ask for my kiss a s s fee LOL

pro-rabbit
08-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Rabbit does some quality boxes no doubt and at a good price but IDK they got some on here a good dozen or so that can create some beautys. I just said Dons name as I have always admired his wrk. Over the years I have seen some of his boxes and he has built just some of the sickest boxes I have ever seen. Now I need to PM Don and Rabbit and ask for my kiss a s s fee LOL

Don does great work and in a few cases I have referred some customers to him for builds(due to shipping rates). I do plan on uploading some of my work to the website from locals before to much longer. As they seem to want to pay the extra fees required for the "crazier ideas" that we come up with. Most of the forum builds go from basic to a slightly advanced level but nothing to crazy. I'm sure the added shipping charge for those far away is a large reason why many don't get some crazy work done. I do have a plan for this very very soon though as I want to show case some more aggressive style builds and I want it to be on THIS forum. :suave:

As for your fee..... Thank you is about what I can give :sneaky:

BTW- the enclosure in question looks to be well built. I would have liked to see a 45 in the port at least, but it is what is and if the customer is happy then job well done for the builder as the customer is what matters not everyone else.

Kangaroux
08-21-2011, 09:04 PM
My only problem with window bracings like that is they block a lot of air flow. But besides that it looks solid

pro-rabbit
08-21-2011, 09:06 PM
My only problem with window bracings like that is they block a lot of air flow. But besides that it looks solid

I agree, but in some cases it works better. I only use that type of bracing when alternative bracing won't work.

Moble Enclosurs
08-22-2011, 02:00 AM
Having someone say the box looks good should have nothing to do with its acoustical performance. But if it was build well during the design process as well as the physical build, then it should be a well performing enclosure. As far as what we think, I personally cannot comment on it myself, without the details of the design. But I will say it does look decent asthetically. Sometimes during a design approach, you may find that the simple looks may perform better than more complex designs. :)If you love the way it sounds, then that's all that matters.
I'm glad your'e happy with it!