PDA

View Full Version : is a head unit with 3 sets of pre outs necessary?

optimusprime
08-18-2011, 11:10 PM
or can you use a splitter or maybe an eq that splits into 3 sets or something like that? would that degrade the sound alot or is it just mandatory to have 3 sets of pre outs?

mylows10
08-18-2011, 11:12 PM
a deck with 3 out puts usually has a better eq on it and more functions ,but to answer your question ,use an eq

Buck
08-18-2011, 11:13 PM
Depends. 3 preouts means you can run 3 sets straight to your amps without having to run through processor/eq. Using a y-splitter will cut your voltage down, which you don't want.

dumple
08-18-2011, 11:14 PM
it's nice because then usually you can adjust the aubwoofer superately from the rears. So no its not necessary but would be easier then worrying about crossing and eqing a stereo output for sub and rear

optimusprime
08-18-2011, 11:20 PM
so its shouldn't degrade the sound much? if so im surprised eq's with high level inputs arnt recommended more for people that want to keep their factory HU.

zako
08-30-2011, 03:41 AM
3-sets is the best. This way you can use fader control and subwoofer control on the head unit. I personally don't care about rear speakers (they are off now), so I could live with 2 sets of preouts.. but separate set for sub should be mandatory IMO.

Bassin Buick
08-30-2011, 03:54 AM
so its shouldn't degrade the sound much? if so im surprised eq's with high level inputs arnt recommended more for people that want to keep their factory HU.ive tried it with expensive and cheap EQ's alike and it usually just turns into a noise hunt once installed. Always trying to pinpoint the source of noise

The_Grimy_One
08-30-2011, 04:38 AM
I think 4 sets is the best. :)

subzero
08-30-2011, 04:39 AM
decks with 3 high voltage preouts is the best option. I like the old school pioneers. 6.5volts front rear sub or hi mid low...

Bassin Buick
08-30-2011, 04:40 AM
I think 4 sets is the best. :)i prefer 7 sets. Amazon.com: JBL GTX47 4 Channel Automotive Continnuously Variable Crossover Grand Touring Series: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/JBL-GTX47-Automotive-Continnuously-Crossover/dp/B003755AR8)

The_Grimy_One
08-30-2011, 04:48 AM
i prefer 7 sets. Amazon.com: JBL GTX47 4 Channel Automotive Continnuously Variable Crossover Grand Touring Series: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/JBL-GTX47-Automotive-Continnuously-Crossover/dp/B003755AR8)

Was talking about decks, not external EQs or Crossovers. :/

Bassin Buick
08-30-2011, 04:52 AM
Was talking about decks, not external EQs or Crossovers. :/lick my external EQ. :P you know you lol'd when you seen 7 sets.

The_Grimy_One
08-30-2011, 04:59 AM
lick my external EQ. :P you know you lol'd when you seen 7 sets.

Idk what the fukc I would need 7 sets for, but I assume I am just not SQ enough. Haha.

Bassin Buick
08-30-2011, 05:09 AM
Idk what the fukc I would need 7 sets for, but I assume I am just not SQ enough. Haha.without looking at the manual i'm gonna jump out on a limb here and say (front) tweeter,midrange,midbass (rear) tweeter,midrange,midbass and then the good old subwoofer section. WAY TOO SQ FOR ME. LOL.

The_Grimy_One
08-30-2011, 05:11 AM
without looking at the manual i'm gonna jump out on a limb here and say (front) tweeter,midrange,midbass (rear) tweeter,midrange,midbass and then the good old subwoofer section. WAY TOO SQ FOR ME. LOL.

IM all for SQ, but yes that is way too many channels for me too. I can see the 3 way front stage and the sub, and maybe one set of coax in the rear. Lol.

Bassin Buick
08-30-2011, 05:13 AM
IM all for SQ, but yes that is way too many channels for me too. I can see the 3 way front stage and the sub, and maybe one set of coax in the rear. Lol.honestly i went active in the buick , and the passive doors in this ranger will **** in the buick's face. they sound GOOOOOOOOODD!! passive off a flippin audiopipe amp. LOL

The_Grimy_One
08-30-2011, 05:18 AM
honestly i went active in the buick , and the passive doors in this ranger will **** in the buick's face. they sound GOOOOOOOOODD!! passive off a flippin audiopipe amp. LOL

All depends on the speakers and the install. I am running passive too. I really dont care too much, cuz I dont feel like spending forever to tune stuff. As long as it is crisp and loud, I am content. Though I am moving my tweets to my pillars.