PDA

View Full Version : Rear speakers overpowering

mudd
02-24-2004, 02:07 PM
OK. I have a 2000 Solara with CDTs in the front, and RF 6x9s in the rear. It's powered off an older (but gooder) Xtant 3300x, which is a 3 channel amp, with 2 passive rear channels, which are attenuated to -6db, which is the max I can go. My probelm is the rears are just way overpowering. Is there any easy way to attenuate them? I was thinking of slapping an inducer (coil) on it to kill anything over 4kish, but I want to lower the volume in the rear. The other alternative is to hook the rears to the deck, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having the passive rear channel in the amp. Any suggestions?

SMUAlien
02-24-2004, 02:28 PM
You could probally fix all this by no longer picking up little kids in your car and molestering them.

BTW it's inductor.

mudd
02-24-2004, 04:59 PM
Hey, how do you think you got here?

Sorry, typo. But you get my drift.

You could probally fix all this by no longer picking up little kids in your car and molestering them.

BTW it's inductor.

Pete
02-24-2004, 05:34 PM
What head unit? are you running 1 pair of RCA or more? If your have seperate front and rear rcas then... umm... Theres this thing called a Fader on the HU that will do this.

If you only have 1 RCA add an inductor to block out high freqs and an LPad or variable resister inline with each speaker to adjust the volume.

mudd
02-24-2004, 06:27 PM
The deck has 2 pre-outs (4 volt). Front and Rear. I'm very familiar with the fader, but what you may not have caught is that it's a 3 channel amp, with 2 PASSIVE rear channels. Therefor, I cannot fade between front and rears, just between the speakers and the sub.

I was thinking about heading to Radio Shaft and seeing if they have some kind of in-line potentiometer I could use.

desi_daru
02-24-2004, 10:37 PM
f*ck its rear fill, run em off the hu u wont b able to hear em anyways, and wen sum1 sits in the back they wont b able to hear the fronts :)

Unreal
02-24-2004, 10:45 PM
Get rid of the rockford crap.

Put whatever richie doesn't use in the rear. Either the midbasses or coaxs with an adapter plate.

Pete
02-24-2004, 11:59 PM
hey mudd,
sorry if I came across as an *** the last post... didn't mean it that way.

Take a look at this page http://www.bcae1.com/lpad.htm it tells you exactly how to alter the speaker output just like you are looking to do.

Pete
02-25-2004, 12:02 AM
Oh, and hears a link to a phoenix audio model that is what you are looking for
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=263-705

Hope that helps.

mudd
02-26-2004, 12:22 AM
Pete - Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for.

adam71
02-26-2004, 03:22 AM
Pete - Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for.

You could always wire them in series. That would double the resistance and quiet them down quite a bit.

Adam :wave:

mudd
02-26-2004, 10:52 AM
Not really. To wire them in series, I'd have to bridge the amp (positive off one channel, negative off the other), so it'd be a wash impedance-wise, and I'd loose rear stereo (not that I care much).

Not a bad idea though - I like your thinking.

You could always wire them in series. That would double the resistance and quiet them down quite a bit.

Adam :wave: